• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Saying hi from far away 🇨🇷

Luis Alonso Herrera

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2023
Costa Rica
Hello everyone, my name is Luis, I’m from Heredia city in Costa Rica 🇨🇷 (not Puerto Rico 😬 🇵🇷) I’ve been involved in precision shooting for a 3 years now. Living in a country with no army, or “gun culture” has made my journey a little bumpy, but it’s part of the challenge. I come here to learn, this forum has been a source of valuable information for some time now, thus my desire to be part of this community. As part of the Costa Rican National rifle association, I’m very interested in doing my part to develop this awesome sport in my country.

Bienvenido! My wife and I have joked of maybe retiring to Costa Rica someday. Curious about your gun laws. What can civilians own and how hard is it to get firearms, ammo, etc.?

welcome!

costa rica would be a pretty sweet destination venue for a match
we are actually planning one, the association has a great range with steel targets up to a mile...but we have used it for practice only, we still need some help on "how to" plan a centerfire match. we have everything but the "know how" (rules, target sizes, categories, etc)

Bienvenido! My wife and I have joked of maybe retiring to Costa Rica someday. Curious about your gun laws. What can civilians own and how hard is it to get firearms, ammo, etc.?
Muchas gracias amigo!... Well, a lot of US citizens come to our country to retire. Currently regarding gun laws we are able to buy pistols, revolvers, gas guns, and rifles. there is not limit on the amount of guns one can own, there is a limit on the amount of guns you can carry (concealed only) that would be 2 guns... silencers or any kind of sound suppression system is prohibited (which makes no sense at all). Every citizen can apply for a gun license, also legal inmigrants with no legal problems can apply for it, the requirements are easy to fulfill. Regarding ammo, you can usually find great quality factory ammo in most gun shops, to buy ammo for whatever caliber you need to have a license for that caliber. One can also bring from realoading materials, gun parts, and even guns from other countries, but you need to declare it first to the National security department, so you can get a customs cleareance. Air guns, even big bore guns, and bows have no requirements and can be imported to the country, or purchased in local gunshop without any requirements. Many people claim about the police taking their guns away, but in most cases those individuals have a "black spot" in their file....

Reactions: Arc Light
Muchas gracias amigo!... Well, a lot of US citizens come to our country to retire. Currently regarding gun laws we are able to buy pistols, revolvers, gas guns, and rifles. there is not limit on the amount of guns one can own, there is a limit on the amount of guns you can carry (concealed only) that would be 2 guns... silencers or any kind of sound suppression system is prohibited (which makes no sense at all). Every citizen can apply for a gun license, also legal inmigrants with no legal problems can apply for it, the requirements are easy to fulfill. Regarding ammo, you can usually find great quality factory ammo in most gun shops, to buy ammo for whatever caliber you need to have a license for that caliber. One can also bring from realoading materials, gun parts, and even guns from other countries, but you need to declare it first to the National security department, so you can get a customs cleareance. Air guns, even big bore guns, and bows have no requirements and can be imported to the country, or purchased in local gunshop without any requirements. Many people claim about the police taking their guns away, but in most cases those individuals have a "black spot" in their file....
Thank you. That doesn't sound too bad actually. Most countries have much more restrictive laws regarding gun ownership from what you described.

we are actually planning one, the association has a great range with steel targets up to a mile...but we have used it for practice only, we still need some help on "how to" plan a centerfire match. we have everything but the "know how" (rules, target sizes, categories, etc)
luckily those aspects really aren't that complicated

Thank you. That doesn't sound too bad actually. Most countries have much more restrictive laws regarding gun ownership from what you described.
I can’t complain, I had travel to other countries with my rifle without problems, I train every weekend, just follow the law, and you’ll be alright…like everywhere

Reactions: Arc Light
Welcome to Sniper's Hide. Florida here.

As to learning about how to set up matches, search for rules by some organizations. For example NRL or PRS. Other countries have similar organizations, but I am not familiar with them. You do not have to follow any specific organization's rules necessarily, but that will give you an idea of some things to keep in mind.

Target sizes can vary from 4 moa to 1 moa depending upon your distance, average shooter capability, and shooting position. More stable positions usually have smaller target sizes than those that are less stable.

I would suggest that at first you keep it simpler until people become familiar with your format and then adjust according to other’s input and your instincts.

Good luck and good shooting.

luckily those aspects really aren't that complicated
I’m doing a research, but any help is greatly appreciated too.
Welcome to Sniper's Hide. Florida here.

As to learning about how to set up matches, search for rules by some organizations. For example NRL or PRS. Other countries have similar organizations, but I am not familiar with them. You do not have to follow any specific organization's rules necessarily, but that will give you an idea of some things to keep in mind.

Target sizes can vary from 4 moa to 1 moa depending upon your distance, average shooter capability, and shooting position. More stable positions usually have smaller target sizes than those that are less stable.

I would suggest that at first you keep it simpler until people become familiar with your format and then adjust according to other’s input and your instincts.

Good luck and good shooting.
thank you!! And if you don’t mind me asking…what about calibers? I don’t think we have enough people yet to open divisions, so we need to figure out like a caliber limit or something

thank you!! And if you don’t mind me asking…what about calibers? I don’t think we have enough people yet to open divisions, so we need to figure out like a caliber limit or something
Well first off, you need to decide what distances you want to use in a match. The typical long range match here in the states has maximum distances of say 800-1200 yards, though there is an occasional stage in some matches that might exceed that distance. Most matches do not limit your caliber and it’s more typical to have a velocity limit (say 3200 fps or so).

What you will find is that the style and speed of the match and stages typically ends up limiting what calibers get used after a while. For example, in the East of U.S. match locations tend towards faster stage times, say 10-12 rounds from different positions, often on different targets, in 90-105 seconds. Along with the increased use of target impact lights, this lends itself to smaller lighter calibers in heavy rifles.

You’ll see a lot of 6mm cartridges like 6BR, 6x47, 6BRA, 6GT and the like. Even some using .223, .224V, and 22BR. The goal for these competitors is to have a very stable platform with very little recoil so that they can quickly see impacts or misses and therefore get their shots off quicker.

In the Midwest and West, one is likely to see cartridges with more speed, often shooting somewhat high BC, more wind resistant calibers like 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Then there is usually a military caliber category for .223 and .308 that are restricted to maximum weight bullets.

Now, if you plan on shooting matches out to 1 mile, then you’ll find that larger calibers will typically do better there. You likely also use more solid positions and less rifle movement in those stages.

There’s really so much more, but I’d suggest getting together a few that are interested to bounce ideas back and forth and then actually plan a small match. There’s no learning like experience.

Well first off, you need to decide what distances you want to use in a match. The typical long range match here in the states has maximum distances of say 800-1200 yards, though there is an occasional stage in some matches that might exceed that distance. Most matches do not limit your caliber and it’s more typical to have a velocity limit (say 3200 fps or so).

What you will find is that the style and speed of the match and stages typically ends up limiting what calibers get used after a while. For example, in the East of U.S. match locations tend towards faster stage times, say 10-12 rounds from different positions, often on different targets, in 90-105 seconds. Along with the increased use of target impact lights, this lends itself to smaller lighter calibers in heavy rifles.

You’ll see a lot of 6mm cartridges like 6BR, 6x47, 6BRA, 6GT and the like. Even some using .223, .224V, and 22BR. The goal for these competitors is to have a very stable platform with very little recoil so that they can quickly see impacts or misses and therefore get their shots off quicker.

In the Midwest and West, one is likely to see cartridges with more speed, often shooting somewhat high BC, more wind resistant calibers like 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Then there is usually a military caliber category for .223 and .308 that are restricted to maximum weight bullets.

Now, if you plan on shooting matches out to 1 mile, then you’ll find that larger calibers will typically do better there. You likely also use more solid positions and less rifle movement in those stages.

There’s really so much more, but I’d suggest getting together a few that are interested to bounce ideas back and forth and then actually plan a small match. There’s no learning like experience.
Thank you very much! That’s some great info right there… makes sense to set a speed limit…I’ll definitely take these ideas to our next meeting🙌🏻

Reactions: lash