• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SB turret locked up?

hunter223

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Odessa Tx
I just traded my sb to a buddy and when he received it he said the turret would go to about 8mils then stopped. Could the turret be locked up somehow? Before I sent it out I played with the knobs and everything worked I have no idea what could be causing this. HELP PLEASE!

Re: SB turret locked up?

I assume that by SB you mean Schmidt & Bender? If that's the case and especially if it's a 5-25x this is a known problem. Send it in for warranty and they will repair it. There's some sort of pin that binds up and they claim that it was a design flaw on the first few runs of this optic that came out. Too bad because shipping/ins will run you about $100 and you'll be w/o it for over a month. If you tell them to 'put a rush' on it it will be done in about a month's time and won't cost you any more. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume that by SB you mean Schmidt & Bender? If that's the case and especially if it's a 5-25x this is a known problem. Send it in for warranty and they will repair it. There's some sort of pin that binds up and they claim that it was a design flaw on the first few runs of this optic that came out. Too bad because shipping/ins will run you about $100 and you'll be w/o it for over a month. If you tell them to 'put a rush' on it it will be done in about a month's time and won't cost you any more. Good luck. </div></div>

10-4 on the Schmidt bender its the 4-16x50 st Mil knobs. So, its just something that just happens suddenly? It just seems odd because I turned he knobs a bit before I sent it and never a hiccup did I have. Thanks for the help any more info us welcomed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assume that by SB you mean Schmidt & Bender? If that's the case and especially if it's a 5-25x this is a known problem. Send it in for warranty and they will repair it. There's some sort of pin that binds up and they claim that it was a design flaw on the first few runs of this optic that came out. Too bad because shipping/ins will run you about $100 and you'll be w/o it for over a month. If you tell them to 'put a rush' on it it will be done in about a month's time and won't cost you any more. Good luck. </div></div>

10-4 on the Schmidt bender its the 4-16x50 st Mil knobs. So, its just something that just happens suddenly? It just seems odd because I turned he knobs a bit before I sent it and never a hiccup did I have. Thanks for the help any more info us welcomed. </div></div>

Yep, just happens. No warning and seemingly no way to prevent it either. When you turned it before sending did you by chance go to the 2nd rotation?

When did you buy it? S&B claimed that it was only the 5-25x and on batches made 3-4yrs ago.

It's the single turn model so no just went from 1-13 mil not exactly sure it was in its range I just mounted it and zeroed it then unmounted it played with it then sent it. and idk the mfg date because I received t second hand

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the single turn model so no just went from 1-13 mil not exactly sure it was in its range I just mounted it and zeroed it then unmounted it played with it then sent it. and idk the mfg date because I received t second hand </div></div>

Funny because S&B said it was the 5-25x w/double turn model specifically but this proves neither of those is accurate. Makes me wonder how many of these out there are having this issue that we don't hear about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the single turn model so no just went from 1-13 mil not exactly sure it was in its range I just mounted it and zeroed it then unmounted it played with it then sent it. and idk the mfg date because I received t second hand </div></div>

Funny because S&B said it was the 5-25x w/double turn model specifically but this proves neither of those is accurate. Makes me wonder how many of these out there are having this issue that we don't hear about. </div></div>

IDK bro, Im flabbergasted. I hope it's something that can be remedied with out returning to the factory.

I'm about off to bed but here's why I asked, the 4-16 only has about 14 mils of total elevation inside. There also isn't much to the elevation knob and the assembly itself to go wrong unlike the standard and MTC double turn knobs. I pretty much believe you when you say everything worked fine before it left but have your friend re-center the erector like in the video below:

Erector Centering

When the reticle pinwheels loosen the set screws and turn the elevation knob to 6.5 and the windage to zero. At this point he should be able to go all the way to 13.4 mils and down to the zero stop without any trouble. If he can do that the scope is fine, if it can't send it back and S&B will take care of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did he zero it or did he just take it out of the box and say it's fcked up? </div></div>

It was zeroed on my rifle and turned the knob plenty without issue. I simply unmounted the scope boxed it up and sent it. He told me he just took it out of the box and noticed the problem.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your friends ability to operate stuff like power tools, do problem solving puzzles and walk & chew gum at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your friends ability to operate stuff like power tools, do problem solving puzzles and walk & chew gum at the same time.
</div></div>

LMAO! I think you'd prolly be able to judge a bit for yourself you've prolly heard of him check the link to my friend's webpage My friend

Im relatively certain, he has at least a ability of 10 to operate power equipment and probably close to the same when it comes to puzzle solving. Hey, I'm a big fan of his work
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about off to bed but here's why I asked, the 4-16 only has about 14 mils of total elevation inside. There also isn't much to the elevation knob and the assembly itself to go wrong unlike the standard and MTC double turn knobs. I pretty much believe you when you say everything worked fine before it left but have your friend re-center the erector like in the video below:

Erector Centering

When the reticle pinwheels loosen the set screws and turn the elevation knob to 6.5 and the windage to zero. At this point he should be able to go all the way to 13.4 mils and down to the zero stop without any trouble. If he can do that the scope is fine, if it can't send it back and S&B will take care of you. </div></div>

Thank you, I will pass this along to him.

So he can only work on short actions.....hmmmmm
laugh.gif

Ok, it may be the scope. Make sure the zero stop isn't set to high and preventing it from reaching the real zero and if he's sure that he's at the bottom of the range and there's only 8 mil up, then there's an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So he can only work on short actions.....hmmmmm
laugh.gif

Ok, it may be the scope. Make sure the zero stop isn't set to high and preventing it from reaching the real zero and if he's sure that he's at the bottom of the range and there's only 8 mil up, then there's an issue. </div></div>

I thought it was this at first but if it had so many clicks before posting it should still have the same when it come out the other side. These scopes are bullet proof so can't see what has gone wrong in the post. Try ringing or e-mail SB as it may be something simple or and don't get me wrong you mate is far more technically minded than me download the instructions and make sure it's nothing stupidly simple that it gets over looked

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wiganbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These scopes are bullet proof...</div></div>

This hasn't been my experience. Don't get me wrong, they are GREAT scopes but the reputation they have for being indestructible & infallible are inaccurate. They fail just like anything else man-made.

4-16x50 has 18 mil of total compensation(13 mil turn plus 5 mil under the cap). Sounds like your scope has 8 mils up and 10 down( under the stop). Loosen the cap and move it up to the head of the turret shaft, tight it down. Zero the scope for 100 yards ,loosen the screws on the cap,push it down, set on zero,tie down. You should have +/- 13 mils turn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about off to bed but here's why I asked, the 4-16 only has about 14 mils of total elevation inside. </div></div>

All of my 4-16s have between 18 and 19 mil of total internal travel.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it figured out!!!!
wink.gif
thanks fellas</div></div>

WELL!!! What was it??!!??

As I expected, it was too far in its adjustment range to be adjusted any more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I expected, it was too far in its adjustment range to be adjusted any more </div></div>
You may have to re-think that "10" rating...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I expected, it was too far in its adjustment range to be adjusted any more </div></div>
You may have to re-think that "10" rating... </div></div>

lol, he just wasnt familiar with how the SB's worked.

Nice going hunter, trading the guy for a lemon scope.

OK - I have tried to spin the reticle out - no dice.

I have a 3-12x50 that is locked up with 7.5 MILs of available elevation.

Thoughts?

TIA

Mo Zam Beek,

To clarify, if you dial elevation down all the way to bottom (not the bottom set by the zero stop) and dial all the way to the top, you only have 7.5 mils of elevation?

Or from your zero, with the zero stop set, you only have 7.5 mils of elevation?

Yes - I have a total of 7.5 MILs before it locks up at either end. When I realized I could not spin it out I cranked the windage to the mid point and the extreme to both sides and then tried the elevation again - no joy.

Good luck

ETA to add on another fun note I dry fired my 300WM tonight only to see a wiggle in the reticle. Came to realize that the base had shot loose. In the last year I have had 3 very high quality optics develop problems and two bases come loose. I'm feeling lucky.

PM TriggerMonkey, he should be able to help you out...

What base is this on, and have your tried loosen the turret caps and turning it counter clock wise twice to reset the zero stop ?

Is the yellow showing ?

With a S*B a lot of this stuff matters, although it does sound like it needs to go back, but you never know.

Frank - thank you for chiming in.

The base - It is @ 7 yrs old and has been on a 20 MOA rail (bolt gun), La Rue SPR, and most recently a SEI '14 mount.

The yellow - does not show

I have pulled the caps off and set them back on at 180 and tried to do this - no luck. I have also pulled the caps and tried to do it with fingers - no joy.

TIA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice going hunter, trading the guy for a lemon scope. </div></div>

LOL, just saw this. thanks jerk lol.

I agree with Frank. If you have limited movement with your fingers you have eliminated the cap as the source of the problem.
Anything else will require the turret to be disassembled and that is a S&B job.