• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SBR and suppressors

Shooterjoe

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2008
Hello all...I have a question about how determental is using a suppressor on a 7.5 in" barrel M-4. From what I understand Yankee Hill wont warrenty it. I can accept that, but is that something really to worry about. Question two...From what I understand one reason for this maybe due to the high temp and or pressure a short barrel would generate. If so with that in mid would a Yankee Hill steel.308 suppressor handle this setup as a last chance to make this happen since I already have the .308 suppressor!...if not maybe time to buy a 10.5" SBR...Thank guys! Eugene

Re: SBR and suppressors

A barrel that short doesnt burn all the powder before the projectile leaves the muzzle. Your effectively shooting hot burning powder right against the blast baffle of your suppressor.....thus eroding it away. Id do yourself a favor and stick with at least a 10.5" barrel. I run 11.5 for my 556 with a G5.

If you are set on a 7.5" barrel Thunder Beast makes the 223A, they warranty it down to 7" and FA. Not sure on the YHM can, have no experience with them.

A number of companies do go short, but they all suck at suppression. The .223 is a bitch to do at 16". You can take an excellent can and at 7" its a little more than a KX3 with more baffles. Wish it wasn't so, but it is.

I have been reviewing ThuderBeast and it has Inconel as part of its make up that makes it an acceptable suppressor for a 7.5" SBR The can I do have on me is a Yankee hill .308 composed for the following...Material...300 Series Steel and Heat Treated Inconel 718...Any thought...?

It depends on the can. We had people walk up to us at the Silencer Shoot in TX and ask if our 7" M16 was .300 BLK because of how it sounded. It was shooting milsurp 5.56.

Now obviously 5.56 is a lot louder than .300 BLK but not all of the "very SBR" suppressors are super loud.

As for wear-- everything on a 7" M16 wears faster than on an M4 or full size rifle; however, I can tell you on our demo rifle we completely wore out one upper (gas block was eroded and with huge flame coming from it) and the original 223A we were testing looked OK.

-z

Zack smith I would love to see pic of this suppressor that was on an upper that you wore out? I also would like to know db sounds from this 223 that sounded like a 300 blk out. I would buy another 223 can that could do that.