• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR Help

moochy28

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Maryville,Tn.
I am wanting to get a SBR built. Want to get a 300BO, but have some questions on where to begin.
This will be my first SBR and want to know what to do to get started.
Do I buy a lower and register it or buy a complete rifle?
And as far as upper goes I can buy it, keep it in my safe and wait till my form 4 is approved?

Re: SBR Help

Buy a 16" barreled AR and shoot it frequently.

Register the lower with Form 1 with the ATF (averaging 6-7 months).

Shoot the 16" barreled AR some more

Have the lower engraved with your Trust or name

When your stamp is delivered to your house buy an upper with barrel
length of your choice in 300 BO.

To remain above board with the law, I would wait to get the shorty upper or
buy a cheapo pistol lower if you must shoot it....

Our you can buy a complete SBR and have it sit in your dealers safe while you wait for a form 4 to clear with the ATF.

If you buy the lower and not a complete rifle it will be (Form 1) not (Form 4) you will be the manufacture of the firearm and you will have to engrave it with your city,state,and your name...It is not a big deal...Just get on www.atf.gov and order your (Form 1) and your fingerprint cards...Once they arrive go to your local sheriff's office and have them fill out their portion of the paper work and do your finger prints..get your lower first complete or stripped have it engraved...then once your tax stamp is approved 5 to 6 month wait get the upper of your choice and go have fun...hope this helps

Can I ask y'all a question, if he has no upper. How will you know what to fill on 4D?

If you are talking about the overall length...I bought my lower from LWRCI and later a complete upper..I knew what length upper I wanted so I just called them and asked what the overall length would be..

Just a FYI... No such thing as a pre registered lower as far as I know, least not from us and the idaho ATF division...as a mfg we have to have a overall length and caliber. Some might fudge the laws, but it's not a SBR from a manufactures standpoint until it can go bang. Key word in SBR being "rifle" it's just a receiver before its a rifle. We went rounds with the ATF on this because we know some places do it and we wanted to know how. But, you can register a lower as a individual lol... Don't know why it works one way and not the other. They couldn't tell me why either!

I would just buy a complete gun..then you have nothing to worry about and when you get it, it's ready to run!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I ask y'all a question, if he has no upper. How will you know what to fill on 4D? </div></div>

Lazy,

Are you asking about make (4d) or barrel length (4e)?

In the case of make (4d), I already had the lower (N4) and went with a 10.2" barrel (4e). Overall length with stock retracted is 26" (4f).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I ask y'all a question, if he has no upper. How will you know what to fill on 4D? </div></div>

Lazy,

Are you asking about make (4d) or barrel length (4e)?

In the case of make (4d), I already had the lower (N4) and went with a 10.2" barrel (4e). Overall length with stock retracted is 26" (4f).</div></div>

LOL, you know what I meant
smile.gif

@beenjammin, The folks I know that were doing the registered short barrel lowers have been "shut down" by the ATF on that. They now have to ship the lowers with an upper installed. It was good while it lasted, lol.