• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR legalities

I had to find a "pre ban" lower and apply with ATF with a form 1. See below
"Form 1" refers to the ATF application to make and register a firearm, specifically one that requires registration per the National Firearms Act. This is the form you would fill out and submit to the ATF if you are "making" an NFA item. In many cases, all you're really doing is registering a receiver made by a firearms manufacturer with the ATF and not really 'making' anything at all, but rather assembling. This thread is written assuming you're registering an AR15 lower receiver as a SBR. Other guns or silencers would follow the process though. ( copy and pasted )
There should be a fair amount of info in the Suppressor section and probably a bunch in the Semi Auto section. It's a fairly long and drawn out process but usually worth it. I love my 300 BLK SBR with the suppressor.

Register a lower Form 1 with the ATF as an individual or under a trust.

Shoot it as a pistol with shorty upper until you get your tax stamp (about a year).

Have lower engraved with trust's or individuals name and location.

Add a stock......

Doing an SBR is easy. Its the wait time for the stamp thats hard.

The process is somewhat involved but it can be done.

The Short Barreled Rifle is govern by the National Firearms Act, commonly referred to as "NFA".

You have to basically do one of two things, register a full SBR rifle under a Form 4 or register a lower receiver under a Form 1. The difference is whether you want to purchase one (Form 4) or build one (Form 1). Here are some links:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html
Want a Short Barreled Rifle? Here's How | The Truth About Guns

The wait time will be the hardest (think 9-11 months), once you have found a rifle or begin the process of registering a lower receiver. I would recommend talking to a lawyer regarding the use of a trust. I had a lawyer here in Nevada set up a trust for me for $200 and it is great. Without a trust, you must be present during the use of the SBR at all times. You cannot loan it to anyone, not even a family member. With a trust, you simply add someone to the trust and they can use the SBR. The use of trusts and their requirement for local law enforcement sign off, photos and fingerprints is currently in limbo, but if I had to guess, you could start the process now, prior to the possible rule change, and then hope that they do not go retroactive on already submitted applications.

The other problem is traveling with an SBR. You must get permission from the ATF prior to crossing state lines. See the FAQ from ATF regarding NFA items: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#lawful-transportation

I just recently went through the process and I am glad to have a rifle that is so easy to maneuver with, especially for my 3-Gun competitions. If you have any further questions, just private message me.

Good luck and let us know what eventually happened.

appreciate all the great responses guys. What really got me thinking about an SBR was when i got my last lower the FFL asked me if I wanted to register it as a SBR. IS the trust setup for a SBR pretty much along the same lines as that of gettin a Silencer? Can under the same trust you register a Silencer?

IS the trust setup for a SBR pretty much along the same lines as that of gettin a Silencer? Can under the same trust you register a Silencer?

yes and yes.

You can buy a complete SBR on a Form 4 just like a silencer OR you can do a Form 1 on a lower receiver you already have and then you become the "maker".