• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SBR LPV Hunting / Plinking --- Z8i 1-8 vs NX8 1-8 (With a twist)

metzgerdefense

Private
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2020
Longtime Lurker, first time poster, I'll just let myself in.

Have a new fancy SBR with 7" barrel in 300blk, and I'm making a scope purchase for it.

Intended use is 0-300m sub/super plinking and Texas Hog Hunting. I don't shoot in competitions, but I do like having the best equipment available and I save my pennies for it.

My precision rig that goes along with this is a Christensen MPR 20" .308 barrel (not 6.5 CM, fuck me, right? I like the 308 round :) with Swarovski Z8i 3.5-28x50 and the BTF turret. It's a beast and honestly pretty handy in weight considering its capability.

So, I'm narrowing down a decision for the SBR LPV Hunting / Plinking scope, but there's a twist:

Option 1: $3750
Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 (also looking for for BRT-I vs 4A-IF reticle)
With all the accessories. (BTF turret, Throw Ring, Fancy Swaro Lens Covers)
Nightforce Ultralight Unimount

Option 2: $4100
Nightforce NX-8 1-8x24 (MIL reticle)
With Accessories (Lens Covers)
Nightforce Ultralight Unimount
BONUS:
Swarovski EL 10x32 Bino's

I basically realized that for a little bit more than the Z8i 1-8 I've been lusting over, I could step down to an NX-8 (which should still be good glass for an SBR) and pick up a pair of dope 10x32

I've been really wanting a set of Swarovski Bino's for spotting and hunting, and I don't have a spotting scope currently, so they would get a lot of use at the range and in the field.

My concern is that I'll be let down going to the NX-8 and then I'll have the feeling that I should have just gotten the Z8i and saved up for the bino's later.

So - Those among you wiser than I, what's your advice here?

I think the swaro has adjustable parallax which puts it in another league in terms of versatility

Reactions: gnochi
The Swaro z8i 1-8x24 w/ 4A-1F reticle is a tremendous scope for 'driven' hunting' or a Dangerous game rifle for Africa.
I added two Ballistic Turrets, neoprene cover, lens/objective cover and throw ring to customize to my liking.

I have one for my primary 16" 223 Wylde AR15 and picked up a second Z8i 1-8 for a 375 H&H.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bravo6
I'm leaning towards spending the dough on the Z8i and I'll go back to saving up for some swaro bino's down the line.

Welcome to the party!

Just an update - CSTactical got me sorted with a pretty dang good deal on a Kahles K18i with 3GR reticle givens it's similarities to the Z8i 1-8x24 with BRT-i Reticle.

Now if I could only find a Scalarworks Leap 30mm 1.57" I'd be sitting pretty right now..

Kahles 1-8 3gr is a great option!
Either the Kahles or the Swaro are much better than the NX8 in FOV, clarity and reticle.