• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SBR question

Russ257

???
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Lancaster, PA
If you found an 1892 trapper that was originally manufactured as a 14" barrel how would you go about proving that and proving it was registered as a C&R. I would assume you would need a factory letter.

Re: SBR question

OK so I did some looking and the C&R list has this line

Winchester rifle, Model 1892, .44 WCF caliber, S/Ns having a 15-inch barrel

I also did some looking on the cody museum site and they do not have the records for model 1892s in the serial number range of the one I am looking at.

any ideas?

I'm not sure about the C&R status influencing the Class III status (being a SBR). I'll ask a couple buddies tomorrow that might know.

Until then, I would love to see some pics of the 1892.

best one i have
4725933185_d07e509105_b.jpg

O.K. that's just badass. I'm a sucker for lever guns and love the short ones (bought an 18.5" .444 and had a .30-30 cut to 16.25"). Since they just changed our laws here I might eventually end up SBR'ing one. Something like a "Mare's Leg" with a stock just gives me a funny feeling, you know like when we used to climb the ropes in Gym Class...

Make sure you keep us posted (or at least PM me) on what you find out.

Even though it is a C&R firearm, it is still an NFA item.
C&R does not remove the NFA requirements.

Here is the quote from the BATF NFA Handbook:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Section 2.3
Curios or relics.</span>
An NFA firearm that is recognized as a curio or relic is still an NFA “firearm” and is
still subject to the registration and transfer provisions of the NFA.
The primary impact of a curio or relic classification is that a properly registered NFA firearm classified as a curio or relic may be lawfully transferred interstate to,
or received interstate by, a person licensed as a collector of curios or relics under the GCA.</div></div>
The way that I read the guide is that you have two ways to go about being legal with this weapon.
1. Register it on a Form 1 as an SBR, pay the tax and have it engraved.
(Not a good choice considering the value of your weapon.)
2. Apply to have the weapon exempted from the scope of the NFA.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Section 2.4
Applications to remove firearms from the scope of the NFA as collector’s items.</span>
Certain NFA weapons can be removed from the provisions of the NFA as collector’s items. The procedures for requesting removal of an NFA firearm are the same as used for requesting a destructive device determination.
An NFA firearm removed from the NFA as a collector’s item is no longer subject to any of the provisions of the NFA.
In most cases, the weapon will still be a firearm as defined in the GCA and subject to regulation under the GCA.
In some situations, the weapon that is removed from the NFA as a collector’s item will be an antique firearm as defined in the GCA.27 In these instances, the weapon would no longer be a firearm as defined in Federal law.</div></div>

My recommendation would be to submit a letter to the BATF as a request for guidance.
In addition to that, include a request to determine whether this firearm has already been removed from the scope of the NFA.
To cover all your bases, you might include an exemption package with the letter.

Hope this information is of use to you.
I'm not an attorney, but I have spent quite a bit of time reading up on Federal firearms legislation.

P.S.
Beautiful Rifle!