• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SBR Rifle Optic

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
Any suggestions on a small lightweight optic for a SBR 10.5" 5.56 & 8" 300 BLK? I've got some ideas, but want to see what others have done.

Thanks!

Reactions: ttp675
Hensoldt 6-24x72 with sunshade.

And before all the haters start throwing shade, that rifle with that optic will get you all kinda freaky ass and attention at the local public range.

It says, to the untrained eye, "I'm basically Delta."

That, and my 10.5s wear aimpoints. The purpose of the gun - unless I am doing it all wrong, which is possible - is movement speed. You give up bullet speed and mission flexibility (and possible some hearing) for the capacity to clear corners like you know what you are doing. Whether that is room clearing or vehicle operations, the point to the setup is speed. And aimpoint is speed.

I run a regular old RDS or a 1-4 LPVO. One day it’s getting an eotech just because it looks “right”. I do enjoy the LPVO.

I bought an Aimpoint Duty RDS based on the responses I got in my similar thread

That, and my 10.5s wear aimpoints. The purpose of the gun - unless I am doing it all wrong, which is possible - is movement speed.
Purpose drives it all. My 10.5 300 BO sbr wears a 1-4 because my daughter uses it to hunt from time to time. Nice for her to have some magnification to make a more comfortable shot.

My 5.5, (well now 7.25 inch) 9mm sbr wears some magpul flip sights and an MRO, but only had flip ups for a while

Not an SBR but I run a red dot and a multiplier on my 11.5" pistols.

bsoxqJa.jpg

i33Utgb.jpg

Purpose drives it all. My 10.5 300 BO sbr wears a 1-4 because my daughter uses it to hunt from time to time. Nice for her to have some magnification to make a more comfortable shot.

My 5.5, (well now 7.25 inch) 9mm sbr wears some magpul flip sights and an MRO, but only had flip ups for a while
1-4 is nice because with the right lit reticle you can use it just like a red dot, but you also the the convenience of still not being able to see .224 holes in a target at distance just like your RDS and irons 😆

I really like mine, just wish it was a 1-6 but it was a good deal.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I have a 1-6× LPVO on my 10.3" 5.56 & a Eotech w/magnifier on the 10.3" 300 BLK. Works for me..

My 11.5" 5.56 has an Aimpoint H1 plus folding irons and a Streamlight.

What does your daughter hunt with it? :)

I'm astounded that nobody said holosun.

James Yeager and John Lovell talked me into them.

Pretty sure that’s precisely the reason we don’t use them.
That's because holosun is the only optic tough enough to survive running away and jumping in a ditch.
Who cares about zero parallax, poi shift and battery life when your idea of returning fire is to "make some noise"

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta
To answer the OP,

Eotech if your life doesn't depend on it.
Aimpoint T2 if it does.
Lightweight LPVO 1-4 with exposed elevation turret if you want to shoot 300blk subsonics.

I really like the Burris RT 6 as well. Didn’t really like it for my 11.5” because I wanted light and compact. But it would be nice if you aren’t worried about size

I had a Burris xtr 1-8 as well that I had on my DDM4V11. Nice optic but a bit on the heavy and not compact size of the scale

I run a delta point on my 7.5” 5.56 and one on my 9 pcc on a riser and there both fast as shit. That’s all you need for sbr

Reactions: 3rdfocal
....a red dot system will be the "lightest" option to meet your stated criteria. I would suggest also have standard BUIS installed as a backup to the RDS. I recommend the RDS mount used be for a "co-witness" of the dot with the BUIS. The "co-witness" can allow for alternative sighting pictures (rear BUIS apeture + dot, dot+BUIS front post, BUIS rear apeture+ RDS "window", RDS "window"+BUIS front post) that will still allow effective aiming in the event of an individual BUIS loss, battery loss, etc.

...If you need/desire magnification, a "flip to side" magnifier still allows rail space for BUIS installation. A QD mount for the magnifier is recommended. The combined weight of a magnifier+mount and a RDS w/mount is typically less than the weight of a LPVO w/mount.

...If you are able to, try handling both, RDS, RDS+magnifier, LVPO to see which works better for you from the get go. 1st use impressions give you immediate feedback on what feels natural and will be what your body+mind will default to in a chaotic scenario. You can train to build upon that "natural" reaction for greater efficiency.

...brand name will be whatever your budget allows, there are just so many flavors nowadays and a great majority are very reliable. Don't sacrifice reliability for "cool factor".

YMMV

Last edited:
....a red dot system will be the "lightest" option to meet your stated criteria. I would suggest also have standard BUIS installed as a backup to the RDS. I recommend the RDS mount used be for a "co-witness" of the dot with the BUIS. The "co-witness" can allow for alternative sighting pictures (rear BUIS apeture + dot, dot+BUIS front post, BUIS rear apeture+ RDS "window", RDS "window"+BUIS front post) that will still allow effective aiming in the event of an individual BUIS loss, battery loss, etc.

I have BUIS for my red dots and understand their use as a backup.

Just curious why you would use the red dot with the front or rear BUIS as an “alternative sighting picture”

If the dot works why the BUIS in conjunction with front or rear? Just curious

I have BUIS for my red dots and understand their use as a backup.

Just curious why you would use the red dot with the front or rear BUIS as an “alternative sighting picture”

If the dot works why the BUIS in conjunction with front or rear? Just curious

....hope for the best, plan for the worst..

...the view window of a RDS can perform the same as a "ghost ring" if needed (battery loss, individual/complete BUIS loss/damage) for CQB.

...if your BUIS is already calibrated/zeroed for distances beyond the typical "CQB" distance, with the dot active you can establish "holds" for moderate/greater distances to achieve potentially greater accuracy when utilizing rear+dot or dot+front if the need arises by moving the dot up or down in/on the rear aperture/front sight post. If the dot is inactive, the RDS window can be utilized in same manner with one of the BUIS sights, rear or front as you have 2 reference points for your sighting.

YMMV

Last edited:
The lightest RDS combination I've tried is an RMR on a Scalarworks mount. Obviously not as bulletproof as an Aimpoint but it depends on what you're doing.

OP,

What is the optic used for?

Hunting hogs with a lpvo would make more sense then a red dot. Likewise a red dot make more sense for a close and compact shft setup

Reactions: Steve_In_29
Took these just for you, OP:

KAC SR-30 9.5” 300BO
View attachment 7829188

KAC SR-15 14.5” 5.56
View attachment 7829189

Dude.

GBPSE.

Jeez.

I know because you didnt buy an ARCA mount for that 12.5” KAC with the ATACR and use a saddle.

And yeah, subtracted 2” because, well, yer a dude, and ya gotta.
Maybe its actually a 10.5”?? 🤣

OP. Aimpoints kick but for stubby ARs.
They have a new one, smaller than the pro, cheaper than the T2 or Micro. Looks cool.
Probably not upgrading several ARs, but may switch for my main one.

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta
1-4 is nice because with the right lit reticle you can use it just like a red dot, but you also the the convenience of still not being able to see .224 holes in a target at distance just like your RDS and irons 😆

I really like mine, just wish it was a 1-6 but it was a good deal.
Not an sbr or a pistol, but when I decide to really finish my 16 inch 350 legend bolt gun, it willl wear a 1-6 I’m pretty sure

Aimpoint T-2 and vortex micro 3x. Waiting for the guy that gave me shit for having that magnifier last time I posted. 😂😂😂 I think he called me a poor.