• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SBR vs Pistol Questions

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
I have seen a number of great looking SBR AR-15 uppers for sale recently, both 10" and 14". My question is if I purchase a RRA marked pistol lower and transfer it as a pistol on a 4417 can I purchase a SBR upper and attach it to my pistol lower without any legal issues? I believe the SBR lower is registered but what about the upper...do they receive special markings when registered as a SBR?

Thanks
Pat

Re: SBR vs Pistol Questions

if you have an AR pistol lower, and leave it in its pistol configuration, u can buy a short barreled upper with no qualms. Just don't buy the upper without having the lower first. Then later you can always form 4 the lower to a legal SBR and then slap on a buttstock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you have an AR pistol lower, and leave it in its pistol configuration, u can buy a short barreled upper with no qualms. Just don't buy the upper without having the lower first. Then later you can always form 4 the lower to a legal SBR and then slap on a buttstock. </div></div>

Ok, first of all there is no such a thing as a registerd pistol lower. On the new 4473's its a reciever, it can be made into a pistol OR a rifle. In order to make it into a pistol it can NEVER have a stock fitted to it and be designed to fire from the shoulder.

a pistol can have ANY length of barrel on it, its a pistol. IF you want to put a 27 inch barrel on it... go for it. But its still a pistol.

And you dont make a SBR on a form4 .... its done with a Form1 for an individual.

Pretty much everything has been said here. Don't be in "constructive possession" of an upper with less than a 16" barrel if you don't have a pistol lower around (unless you don't have ANY lower).

The lower is the firearm. So as long as you have a pistol lower, you can have whatever uppers you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty much everything has been said here. Don't be in "constructive possession" of an upper with less than a 16" barrel if you don't have a pistol lower around (unless you don't have ANY lower).

The lower is the firearm. So as long as you have a pistol lower, you can have whatever uppers you want. </div></div>

there is no such a thing as a pistol lower ... a lower is a lower is a lower ... that is all ... as long as it never has had a stock attached to it then it can be whatever you want it to be. Once it has a stock on it then it is considdered a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty much everything has been said here. Don't be in "constructive possession" of an upper with less than a 16" barrel if you don't have a pistol lower around (unless you don't have ANY lower).

The lower is the firearm. So as long as you have a pistol lower, you can have whatever uppers you want. </div></div>

there is no such a thing as a pistol lower ... a lower is a lower is a lower ... that is all ... as long as it never has had a stock attached to it then it can be whatever you want it to be. Once it has a stock on it then it is considdered a rifle. </div></div>

Out is 100% correct on this. There is no pistol lowers anymore. If you buy a stripped lower, it is registered as a receiver, not a pistol or rifle. If your FFL is registering it differently, he is wrong.

So you guys are saying that if i buy a lower receiver and slap in a lower parts kit LESS stock. Then i can use a short barrel upper and will still be legal?

"I" would use a pistol buffer and tube as you would look ver suspect if the wrong person saw it, but yes, you can take any lower that has not previously been built and make a pistol out of it.

ONLY difference in a pistol buffer tube and a non pistol buffer tube is that some pistol buffer tubes are shorter. But you could tkae a regular carbine buffer tube and slap it on there and its a pistol. Now if you were to put a stock on that buffer tube then its a rifle.

I agree out, but if you have a "pistol" that you can slide a shorty stock on with no tools at all.... I think this would look bad. Not that it is that hard to swap out the tubes, but you know what I mean

I've got a Pistol buffer tube that's carbine length shorty style but doesn't have the threads on the end for attaching a stubby stock. Also it's made to run with a modified buffer retaining plate, so it has a bit more length to threaded end that fits into the lower. This allows for no way to attach a stock. Kinda a nice 'cover your ass" feature. Pretty sure I bought it from Model 1 Sales.

Also, I bought a "Pistol" marked lower, as another "cover my ass" feature.

Oh yeah, when I did my pistol build, it was when there wasn't a "receiver" option on the 4473. Now with the receiver option, it's cool because you can have unbuilt lowers and then build them into any config you see fit. No "planning" on building a pistol AR.

Of course when I first saw the 'receiver' option, I thought it had to be some nefarious plot. Maybe if one buys too many receivers, then they'll come after you for and excise tax or something. Anyone know the reason for the change?