• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors SBRs with cans

LRangepro

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2007
VA
I'm looking into an SBR and I want a can on it. I'd like to get as close to 10 1/2 inches without eating up the can. I know erosion from pressure can be an issue in short barrels. Anyone have experience with SBRs and cans? Some may hold up better. Which ones? Also I want it light weight. No YHM cans. Way too heavy and I think soft as well. If I go up to 12 inches? Thoughts please.

Re: SBRs with cans

I run an AAC M4-2000 on all of my SBR's & it’s performed flawlessly. Just stuck it on a 10.5" full auto, it has no more paint, but the baffles still look like new

I also run an AAC M4/2000 on my 223 - minimum length AAC will warranty for the M4/2000 is 10.5" You should also look at the Thunderbeast. They make one specifically for SBR's

Cool, thats one of the cans I'm most interested in. How many rounds would you see have been through it? Full auto is a good test. Thanks

I also have a friend that put his M4/2000 on a M249 Saw and ran it until it turned cherry red...didn't hurt it at all and he still uses it on his M4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking into an SBR and I want a can on it. I'd like to get as close to 10 1/2 inches without eating up the can. I know erosion from pressure can be an issue in short barrels. Anyone have experience with SBRs and cans? Some may hold up better. Which ones? Also I want it light weight. No YHM cans. Way too heavy and I think soft as well. If I go up to 12 inches? Thoughts please. </div></div>

YHM is not soft.

The min barrel length you want to run on a suppressed SBR is 10.5".
Look at Noveske's light rifle series, they sell just the uppers as well.

I ran a 10.4" HK416 with a YHM 5.56 can. Yes, a bit heavy, but not an issue as far as durability. Just switched to a Surefire Mini can that I will also run mostly on 12.5 LMT CQB piston gun. Weight is a factor for me.

One thing to strongly consider, there is some thinking that running a muzzle brake/adapter combo alleviates some of the wear on the can's blast baffle (as oppsoed to a flash hider/adapter). I went with Surefire's brake on my LMT and will put one on my 416 as well.

Check the can's weight and attachment method also. I don't think you can go wrong with an AAC or Surefire for durability and support (there are other manufacturers of course).

The new 762SDN6 from AAC is rated all the way down to 7.5" with a 5.56 - that's pretty impressive.

Also, Ops Inc warranties their cans on any barrel length setup.

I'd start there.

I have one of the new YHM cans phantom Ti on order for my Sig 556 SBR internals are inconel so it will be very light and take a beating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ss10ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one of the new YHM cans phantom Ti on order for my Sig 556 SBR internals are inconel so it will be very light and take a beating.</div></div> let us know how it works after a long string of semi fire. I am curious to how the Ti can hold up. I love the weight of the Ti can but...not sure how it takes long strings of fire.

I also run the aac m42000 on my sign 556 sbr and I have put easily 2000 rnds though it with no problems other than the finish baking off suppression level can be increased by turning the gas piston adjustment in between the two settings For a really silent first shot

I run an AAC M4/2000 on a 10.5 SBR and no problems AFTER I installed an Adams Arms piston kit. Way to much gas and dirty without. It's rated full auto, as far as erosion barrels are cheap.

For those with select fire NFA you can also purchase the AA piston kit W/O the one piece carrier/key. That kit comes with a solid key and two key bolts to replace the DI key but no carrier, this will allow the use of the FA carrier with piston kit upper. It's also less expensive at $167 wholesale.

The spr can from aac would be my vote for an sbr, the extra length can will compensate for the shorter barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have a friend that put his M4/2000 on a M249 Saw and ran it until it turned cherry red...didn't hurt it at all and he still uses it on his M4. </div></div>

We put a bullet through the side of a M4-2000 and Gemtech Halo before with a M249. Now the rifle runs a AAC 249SD. It has a little thicker baffles and the bore diameter is slightly bigger.

The AAC 762SDN-6 would probably be my choice for something with a really high rate of fire.

You can coat the bore with a ceramic type compound to increase barrel life and accuracy. Also is cheaper than a barrel replacement. I did my m4 for 75$

The only erosion I'm concerned with is that of the baffles in the can. Good info, thanks guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moses81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The spr can from aac would be my vote for an sbr, the extra length can will compensate for the shorter barrel </div></div>

The SPR/M4 reduces back pressure compared to the M4-2000. However, the "over the barrel" design limits the barrel length choices. For example, you cannot mount an SPR/M4 on a 10.5" barrel. Same with an Ops Inc 16th. I've run Ops Inc 16th Model suppressors on 11.5" barrel ARs using short (e.g. KAC and PRI) gas blocks.

I had an M4-2000 I used as a demo suppressor mostly on an 11.5" barrel select-fire. We put over 20K rounds through the suppressor. I was trying to get the round count on that particular rifle to over 50K rounds to track gas port and throat erosion. Shot that M4-2000 on a M249 several times as well. The baffles were very visibly eroded after 10K rounds but the suppressor still sounded about like a new one. Once AAC came out with a muzzle brake I switched over to use that mount on that particular rifle and noticed the erosion seemed to stop. I've had similar experiences with an Ops Inc 16th I used frequently on a 14.5" barrel select-fire M4. The suppressor's core still looks great but I eroded a brake after a few thousand rounds and swapped to a new brake.

I've run a lot of suppressors on SBRs. These days I mostly use an M4-2000 and 16th Model.

I've run YHM 556 QD stainless on a 10.5 DD barrel. Not a metal expert but it's not a "soft" can. Weight difference is minimal. Price is another point. YHM will be cheaper. But that does not mean inferior. M4-2000 is a great can. I have shot with both on SBR's. To close to call which is quieter. IMHO that is just too subjective to make a claim. Have shot YHM semi and full auto with no problems. Just be prepared for a little blow back. I've shot with the can on and spectators comment it is still "kinda loud". Then I take the can off and fire it. They then realize the value of the can.

You stated maybe 12in. I think you would need to go to 16in to get a noticeable difference. (sound reduction/blow back) Again, you will have decide what works best for you.

Good Luck! Deciding is the pain in the ass. Shooting will be a blast!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run an AAC M4-2000 on all of my SBR's & it’s performed flawlessly. Just stuck it on a 10.5" full auto, it has no more paint, but the baffles still look like new</div></div>

I'm in the same boat. I've run 2500 rounds through my LMT 10.5" SBR w/ AAC M4-2000 and while the muzzle brake has seen some serious erosion, the damage to the blast baffle is pretty minimal though you can see it. For those who run a AAC can on a SBR, be sure to use the muzzle brake as it absorbs alot of the damage that the can would otherwise absorb.

On my 10.5/ 5.56 Noveske I run an AWC Raider even on f/a it has held up extremely well .On my 10.5" 6.8SPC Noveske I run an AAC 7.62SD switch it back and forth off my HS Precision with no problems at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downrange1x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On my 10.5/ 5.56 Noveske I run an AWC Raider even on f/a it has held up extremely well .On my 10.5" 6.8SPC Noveske I run an AAC 7.62SD switch it back and forth off my HS Precision with no problems at all.</div></div> how is your AAC running on the 6.8mm? I have the exact same upper as you and I am in the process of getting a AAC 7.62 SDN-6 for it.

Thunder Beast 223A is rated for 7.5" upper. I have shot, YHM, TBAC, AAC, SF. For the money YHM is a great buy. My personal weapon is a 10.5 Noveske with a YHM SS Phantom. I have shot several 1000's rounds through it. Other then wieght I have zero complemts. I take that back, I want a TI one now. I have ran my YHM F/A with no problems. The TBAC is great as well but more greenbacks. It is rated for F/A as well, I put 500 rounds through a TBAC 223A in one range session, all F/A, in a 7.5" upper. Worked fabulous. For a really short application the 7.5" and TBAC is with out a doubt the best set up. For economy the YHM, for name AAC. I have YHM TI coming in the next 2-3 weeks, I'll up date you after a range day with it.

I use a Knights NTQD can on my 10.25 mk18 type. Nice set up no issues. I think the blast baffle is inconel.