• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

SC Sparrow-22 disassembly issue (stuck sleeve)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Got 500-ish rounds through it, and decided to clean it. Like many others, after removing the end-cap, the damn outer sleeve won't budge. I've tried penetrating oil without success. Saw the "pipe wrench" idea but having trouble visualizing how you'd hold the innards in place without screwing up the exposed threads.

Thinking about heating it up in the oven and trying to get it un-stuck. Is that OK? Anybody ever try that? Did it work? If so, what temperature oven, and for how long.

Those are my questions. Anybody got answers? I'd like to try this without a range visit and shooting tons of ammo just to "heat it up".

Don't even think about a pipe wrench.
    Hold it by the outer tube and beat the threaded end on a piece of hard wood or some hard plastic.
    If you want to heat it up, keep it under 300 deg. F.
    After you get it really clean, buy some pure silicone dielectric grease (auto parts) and grease everything down with it when you put it back together and you won't have the problem anymore.
    I only clean mine every 2-3000 rounds or so and it comes apart easily by hand.

Reactions: bunsen27
    After you get it really clean, buy some pure silicone dielectric grease (auto parts) and grease everything down with it when you put it back together and you won't have the problem anymore.
    I only clean mine every 2-3000 rounds or so and it comes apart easily by hand.
    I was thinking I was the only one! Dielectric grease is the stuff. Reminds me of a muzzleloader when I clean my rimfire can. Almost complete clean up using only paper towels. Every third cleaning or so I put the parts in a pail of carburetor cleaner. I have AL baffles and I don't find them bothersome at all.

Got it apart ... combination of penetrating oil overnight, and beating the shit out of the threads on a piece of wood. (Thanks Hellbender) Baffles and silver inner sleeves are in the sonic cleaner now. Definitely going to coat the inner sleeves with anti-seize grease before reassembly.

Don't use anti-seize grease, it makes a horrible mess. Get the stuff I mentioned above, you'll thank me for it, I have 2 Sparrows with in excess of 40k rounds through each, most on full auto. I know of what I speak.

Don't use anti-seize grease, it makes a horrible mess. Get the stuff I mentioned above, you'll thank me for it, I have 2 Sparrows with in excess of 40k rounds through each, most on full auto. I know of what I speak.
    Is this the stuff you're talking about? Found it on Amazon.

SDG.JPG

Interesting info. My Sparrow shoulders well on both my 22's (MPA 22BA rifle and Walther PPK/S 22 pistol. Regarding cleaning ... my sonic cleaner starts the job, and M-Pro7 finishes it (with some dental-tool scraping on the tough chunky stuff).
    I was hoping it would help you take apart your sparrow.