• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scale questions

Drvred

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2019
I have a Chargemaster Lite that I have used for several years.
I can throw a charge with it, and then double check on a M500 scale, which will usually show it as light.
I just acquired a Ohaus manufactured RCBS 10-10 scale, which also shows the charges to be light.
But when I use my check weights on the CM Lite directly on the platen, it shows correct.
So what am I doing wrong?
Rick

Yea, need to see what the check weights compare as. However....as long as the scales are consistent in their readings, it won't matter in the field.

For example, let's say you use your charge master to do load development and come up with 34.0gr. You notice your other scale says 34.5. As long as you're always loading 34.0 on one and 34.5 on the other, you'll be getting the same powder charge amount in the case.

The problems would come if you load both 34.0 on both scales. Then one of your charges will be "wrong."

Reactions: spife7980
RCBS blames it on my aftermarket scale pan being heavier than the factory pan.
I will go back to their way, if it doesn't bounce too many kernels out of the pan

That doesn't make any sense to me .How much does your aftermarket pan weigh ? But,post #3 is correct .....I'd roll on and not look back......as long as your zero with pan isn't wondering

The Chargemasters (other than Matchmaster) uses one tube for gross loading and trickling. It has issues with throwing very small charges even when tricking. Also the scale itself will display in increments of 0.1 gn. Exactly how it handles fractional increments would require some experimentation but its reasonable to assume a 42.1 gn reading will probably indicate a true weight of approximately 42.05 to 42.14 gn. The dispenser begins trickling prior to this range and will stop somewhere in that range. (This is based on what I have seen with the 1500). With the infamous straw modification and reprogramming it will usually drop just short of 42.1. Dropping 8208 the single trickle feed usually drops about 4 kernals but sometimes less and sometimes more.

in your system you dont know how EXACTLY weight your check weight, and like Doom says; RCBS 0.1gr scales are -/+0.05gr = 0.1gr difference within 2 charges when your scale shows SAME value.

for mechanic scale like M500 you dont know how linear it is from 0gr to your mass... another problem

but in reality this in not much important. if your check weight in nominal 50.00gr, and in reality is 49.90gr, it doesnt matter.

what is important that everything you compare to this check weight. and most important is that this check weight is allways the same: you dont touch it with naked hands, you dont touch it with hard objects, you dont damage it, and you control it's real weight with proper lab scale from time to time.
those things are important.

how I weight my charges with RCBS M500? I have proper check weight and I dont set ZERO with this scale, but if I weight 23gr I have check weight like 22,5gr and I set my scale to this value. I dont set my lever to be horizontal at 0gr, but I set my lever to be exactly for my check weight, which is close to my wanted value.
but also my scale is quite ''zeroed'' when I set it to 0gr, but this is not so important to me.