• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scammed by @JL

Deltagunner00

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2011
Central Indiana
Got scammed by @JL

I made a mistake and just trying to protect you guys. Profile shows he is a member since 2005.

Told him I need communication from him by last night and haven’t heard anything.

My mistake and that’s on me, just trying to prevent more. It was by way of a WTB posting I put up. I looked at posts on the site and realize WTB is a no go now. My mistake. Looked at his profile and seen he was a member since 2005.

Last edited:
1705146373313.png

Appreciate the heads up but the best way is that handy report button. Find dudes post/etc and hit it so management can TCOB.

Also WTB is against the rules and Frank has said multiple times its asking for trouble. (Man we should just diable that, but I ain't in charge).

Reactions: 101st and Bender
I know, I hadn’t been on in a while and hadn’t read up on much lately and made that post. I then started looking around and realized WTB was a no go anymore.

Reactions: Bender
probably hacked. No posts since 2020 (longer informative posts) then all of a sudden he posts 3 times in WTB ads…”i have this” “i have that…”

probably hacked. No posts since 2020 (longer informative posts) then all of a sudden he posts 3 times in WTB ads…”i have this” “i have that…”
"Probably" Lol

Fucking insomnia, I need to go play video games, already up 2 hours and I need to stop posting.

Reactions: Bender
Why is anyone still doing WTB ads?

Good lord…

They are fine if you make the sale process painful enough for the fraud they usually get angry or give up.

Ask a bunch of questions, ask to speak with them on the phone, ask for more pictures with unique items in it/timestamps. Examine all information provided.

I haven't done as many deals as some but I've done quite a few and this has served me well.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and Maggot
When a scammer spoofs a username with @ or puts a period at the end, does it not show that account as newer join date, a few posts count, and zero feedback? Or are they able to copy a legit user's entire info in that regard?

Posting a WTB ad is like painting a target on yourself asking to be scammed.

Last edited:
When a scammer spoofs a username with @ or puts a period at the end, does it not show that account as newer join date, a few posts count, and zero feedback? Or are they able to copy a legit user's entire info in that regard?
In this case, it looks like account was hacked and not a name spoof.

OP, @Deltagunner00 , did you report the account yet?

And........Frank (once again) just posted about this in the past few days.

He said to Report suspicious activity immediately. AND to include the exact syntax of the scammer account (meaning ".", etc.). Saves the Mods from having to guess/search.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Who's going to be the first to post some WTB adds to out the scams? Or post them just to fuck with the scammers?

I'd like to post "I'll take it!" in sales ads just to get the BS .username messages sent to me, but that would screw up the actual sale.

I made the decision about ten years ago, if I cant meet up with sellers locally, ill pass. Id rather spend 25% more for new and avoid this BS!

Infortunate for honest sellers, but my money.

Id rather spend 25% more for new and avoid this BS!

I agree with you. I have not seen a 'deal' to buy something used at a price worth taking a risk over in a very long time. By long time. I mean since before Obummer was president long time.

Its not worth saving $20 to put up with the stupidity of people and their bullshit.

WTB ads are awesome for getting hard to find stuff. Just don’t be dumb about it… I have scored a bunch of items that way.
I don't dispute they are working... I just was under the impression that the HMFWIC had specifically said "No More WTB ads on SH, because it's causing too many scams."

But I could be wrong.

Not questioning their effectiveness. I'm questioning why it's still happening.

Sirhr

helpful hints (I know its a painful lesson OP).

Look at this post history and tell me this isn't a huge flag:

4 years without posting..then suddenly hitting every WTB....
My money is on account being hacked

If i remember correctly , that ''jumping sidecar bike'' JL account was one of the blokes from Finnland ,a stand up guy.

Reactions: lash and Eostech