• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accessories Scammer Alert!!! Someone just hacked my account. Hooked a buyer on an item I had listed.

spyder59

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2019
If anyone can tell me any steps I need to take for precautions, please do.

If anyone can tell me any steps I need to take for precautions, please do.
Report the account

Tell the guy who got taken he should have looked at just about any scammer related thread in the last 60 days and would have realized this was a scam account in seconds

Let me guess

Brand new account
Added a period (.) at the end

Reactions: Sweetyzfd
depends on how the scammer did it.
If it’s the variation on your name attack.. just make sure any prospective buyer messages you directly.

I posted” I’ll take it in a thread” and got a PM fairly quickly from someone who duplicated the seller’s name( profile pics and all) with a. Period at the end telling me payment instructions.

Maybe leave a link at bottom of your posts saying PM here, with a hyper link.

Maybe admins can change rules on new accounts/ability to PM. Can avoid some, but not all issues with that avenue too.

depends on how the scammer did it.
If it’s the variation on your name attack.. just make sure any prospective buyer messages you directly.

I posted” I’ll take it in a thread” and got a PM fairly quickly from someone who duplicated the seller’s name( profile pics and all) with a. Period at the end telling me payment instructions.

Maybe leave a link at bottom of your posts saying PM here, with a hyper link.

Maybe admins can change rules on new accounts/ability to PM. Can avoid some, but not all issues with that avenue too.
Should need minimum of 200 posts to be able to see the BST forum!

Report the account

Tell the guy who got taken he should have looked at just about any scammer related thread in the last 60 days and would have realized this was a scam account in seconds

Let me guess

Brand new account
Added a period (.) at the end
That is exactly what happed " Spyder59. "name now exists.

I had one today put a space between a name. I said I was interested in something and minutes later they responded with the users name with a space added. They are getting QUICK. I used to post “I will take it” I don’t think I will anymore since it is scammer bait.

I almost got scammed by someone posing as another person - they spoofed the username by using a capital letter where the others was a lower case. I caught it.

BTW- your post title "Hooked a buyer" had me thinking "Bought a Hooker"

• Haha
Reactions: TheDude219
The buyer just contacted me. He let me know the scammer used my user name and added a period at the end of it. Everyone needs to stay on their toes on this site and others as well. If I am buying something of value, I generally send a private message to the seller including my phone number asking them to contact me. If they won't call me, I won't buy. I don't think you will ever have a scammer make the call.

That is exactly what happed " Spyder59. "name now exists.
Anytime I buy something I say “I’ll take it”

Then I pm the seller for payment and shipping info

If you post I’ll take it. Then wait for the seller to pm you you’re asking for a scam.

Look at the sellers feedback when you buy. Look again when you’re talking via pm. If the deal is too good to be true don’t jump on that land mine. Don’t buy from people with low post count and no feedback.

If you do that it’ll save help you a lot from being scammed

If someone hacks a legit account then yes is hard to recognize it. Send $$ with protection or back out.

Anytime I buy something I say “I’ll take it”

Then I pm the seller for payment and shipping info

If you post I’ll take it. Then wait for the seller to pm you you’re asking for a scam.

Look at the sellers feedback when you buy. Look again when you’re talking via pm. If the deal is too good to be true don’t jump on that land mine. Don’t buy from people with low post count and no feedback.

If you do that it’ll save help you a lot from being scammed

If someone hacks a legit account then yes is hard to recognize it. Send $$ with protection or back out.
I wasn't the one scammed. I do exactly the same as you described.

I wasn't the one scammed. I do exactly the same as you described.
Not saying you’re

People should just hang out on this site for a bit before buying. If they do they’d see what’s currently being used to scam people. Often trends in scamming come up. They succeed for a bit then we figure it out and warn each other. Then the process repeats itself

The buyer just contacted me. He let me know the scammer used my user name and added a period at the end of it. Everyone needs to stay on their toes on this site and others as well. If I am buying something of value, I generally send a private message to the seller including my phone number asking them to contact me. If they won't call me, I won't buy. I don't think you will ever have a scammer make the call.
I am the buyer from Spyder 59 with a period and the new trick was to say he had hearing aids and could not talk well on the phone and texting was best. Scammers are always thinking.

Reactions: KYAggie
I am the buyer from Spyder 59 with a period and the new trick was to say he had hearing aids and could not talk well on the phone and texting was best. Scammers are always thinking.
This isn’t “always thinking” lol.

That’s as big of a red flag as you can get.

I've had it happen to me 8 or 9 times. I've bought quite a few things in the last year. Every one of them drew red flags right away. The biggest for me was I'm in a habit of immediately DM'ing the OP, but on these occasions right after I DM'd, someone faking the account DM'd me. It's also very easy to look at an account and see when it was built, and what they are up to in terms of messages that are linked to account and feedback. A little dilligence goes a long way!

Reactions: MadDuner
The buyer should always be the one to make first contact with the seller via PM/DM. Waiting for the seller to contact someone who posted in their for sale thread is ludicrous. In order to help curb these scammers I do agree that we should have a minimum post count before allowing access to the PX, and they need to be limited to 'X' amount of posts per day so that they don't just shit post a bunch in order to reach the minimum. 100+ posts sounds fair.

The buyer should always be the one to make first contact with the seller via PM/DM. Waiting for the seller to contact someone who posted in their for sale thread is ludicrous. In order to help curb these scammers I do agree that we should have a minimum post count before allowing access to the PX, and they need to be limited to 'X' amount of posts per day so that they don't just shit post a bunch in order to reach the minimum. 100+ posts sounds fair.
I don't think minimum post count is fair. Where is there any opportunity to make 100 comments? I look at the PX 3 or 4 times a week but have probably only commented in a thread 15 times.

Reactions: Cheetah
I don't think minimum post count is fair. Where is there any opportunity to make 100 comments? I look at the PX 3 or 4 times a week but have probably only commented in a thread 15 times.

They do it on Barfcom. Participate in the discussion, plenty of opportunity to post.

Reactions: dlouie87
I got scammed for $120. Sent the cash through Pay pal FF before I realized he put a period in front of the sellers account.

I have hearing aids and that is BS, I can hear better on the phone than ever before because they connect with my phone, previous version would trigger HAC, an adaptive mode and I could still hear pretty damn good, nothing like these new ones.

I hate scammers

I mentioned this last week in a similar thread. Speak with the seller ask and if he is at home if he is, then request a a picture of his Drivers License, and a current Utility bill. With the understanding you will only send a USPS Money Order to that address providing the name, and address match on both, (being home he should be able to produce that in a very short time} I purchased a Sako TRG last year and the Seller sent a picture of his DL, and utility bill below the rifle in question . The buyer holds all the money people , you should always make the rules. Any lame excuse for not wanting to comply with what you want view it as a red flag and move on.

That's poor advice.
Report the account by clicking in the account. Or tag a mod.
If you wanna shut the px down contact lowlight.
The PX makes far too much money to shut down. 😂
There were less scammers when the PX was free.

Reactions: texote
Almost got me three days ago. Luckily caught it before sending money.

I mentioned this last week in a similar thread. Speak with the seller ask and if he is at home if he is, then request a a picture of his Drivers License, and a current Utility bill. With the understanding you will only send a USPS Money Order to that address providing the name, and address match on both, (being home he should be able to produce that in a very short time} I purchased a Sako TRG last year and the Seller sent a picture of his DL, and utility bill below the rifle in question . The buyer holds all the money people , you should always make the rules. Any lame excuse for not wanting to comply with what you want view it as a red flag and move on.

I'd never send anyone a picture of my DL, that is just asking to be identity thefted.
The buyer may have money, but the seller also has the item and lots of folks who want it.

The best thing is to skip all this thinking you are so smart with pictures and such and simply just insist on a video chat with the buyer and the seller and the item.