Accessories  Scammer alert

surprise

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
Are you kidding me, I reported him over a week ago. That’s absolute crap, he changed where he’s from from Washington state to Colorado I think and they’re still letting him on here. Come on mods get this stuff figured out

Reactions: Dank27 and match308

Jeep4x4guy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2019
    I canceled a “deal” for a Razor Gen II this week when his address changed from Oregon to Ohio on his Venmo. Almost got me though

Downtown

Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    It's gotten to the point where WTB ads are little more then scammer bait. This is at least the third similar post recently. Maybe we should start posting them just to catch scammers.

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
    Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    That's a shame. When you can't trust your Hide brothers and sisters. But I guess over the last 2 years, there's a lot of scammers and Demwits trying to ruin the site.

OP, glad you took the precautions to get a real picture.

Reactions: goneballistic

CJC73

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    May 21, 2020
    Janus01 responded to my WTB ad saying contact Daniel he the has exactly what I am looking for.

Beware of him too.

Last edited:

FjallJager

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    Had someone respond to a post on Accurate Reloading of mine selling a rifle. No questions and wanted to pay via paypal with buyer protection. Had zero post.

If someone doesn't have 500 post and hasn't been on at least 3 plus years I won't talk to them.

Spooky stuff to deal with.

Reactions: cm1021

AngryKoala

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 30, 2020
    Should we ask for a Scam Thread to be pinned so everyone can see what's going on all over the Hide???

A list of names would be nice. Also, maybe posting a thread with popular Scam attempts. I know some of the people here have a keen eye for photoshopped images. Having them point out how they know it is photoshopped might be a good educator.

Last edited:

ImUrHucklbry

Private
    Minuteman
    May 15, 2021
    New Mexico
    On behalf of us new guys that are good I'd like to say we aren't all bad. I can understand the caution being displayed seeing as how it seems there are so many scammers.
    It sucks for those of us who aren't scammers. I'm willing to share my info from archerytalk and Rokslide where I already have reviews and also provide whatever else a seller feels they need to be conformable dealing with me.
    Sorry this keeps happening to you guys.

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
    Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    On behalf of us new guys that are good I'd like to say we aren't all bad. I can understand the caution being displayed seeing as how it seems there are so many scammers.
    It sucks for those of us who aren't scammers. I'm willing to share my info from archerytalk and Rokslide where I already have reviews and also provide whatever else a seller feels they need to be conformable dealing with me.
    Sorry this keeps happening to you guys.

I don't believe we are chastising new members, but it is new users (nature of the beast) that seem to be the scammers. It takes new users to help improve the Hide, but when we have these scammers trying to take advantage of us ALL, then they must be called out and identified. It benefits us all to know who the bad guys are.

ImUrHucklbry

Private
    Minuteman
    May 15, 2021
    New Mexico
    I don't believe we are chastising new members, but it is new users (nature of the beast) that seem to be the scammers. It takes new users to help improve the Hide, but when we have these scammers trying to take advantage of us ALL, then they must be called out and identified. It benefits us all to know who the bad guys are.
    No I get it. It was meant more towards those who say they refuse to deal with a new person. I've seen that said a number of times on here and it's a she that those bad apples ruined it for those of us who are good guys.

want to be

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 3, 2018
    I have not been here long and only a few posts, but I have been looking every day to buy a used scope and I am just afraid to deal if not face to face so I keep looking for someone close.

Baron23

Check 6
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    IMO, these people are in no way "new members" in the sense of a real shooter who is new to the forum.

They are internet scammers from jump street, are generally not and never will be contributing members, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are all overseas in some shit hole or another.

TV308

Minuteman
    Jun 28, 2013
    Comfort, TX
    IMO, these people are in no way "new members" in the sense of a real shooter who is new to the forum.

They are internet scammers from jump street, are generally not and never will be contributing members, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are all overseas in some shit hole or another.
    Agree....when he was messaging me I went to look up his posts....he was putting in random pointless comments in broken English...trying to drive up a post count it appear legit.

Reactions: Baron23

Eaglearcher20

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Dec 25, 2018
    Windber, PA 15963
    I have not been here long and only a few posts, but I have been looking every day to buy a used scope and I am just afraid to deal if not face to face so I keep looking for someone close.
    There are other more experienced people on here, but when I’m looking to buy or sell I always check the person’s profile. Odds are if they are somewhat active in the forums and have been a member for a year or more they should be ok.
    The majority of people on here are good and honest. Keep your eyes open for what you are looking for or even post a “Want to Buy” and only make the deal with members with good history. Good luck. Lots of deals to be had from good people.

NukeMMC

Chlanna Nan Con Thigibh A’ So ‘S Gheibh Sibh Feòil
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Mar 3, 2009
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have bought and sold several scopes on here, mostly mid and high end, with great results. Just be cautious and check someone's profile and feedback before any funds get transferred. There are plenty of awesome folks to learn from and do deals with on this site. The mods cannot catch everyone that's a scammer and at the same time police the mo-tards who make stupid posts that threaten the site's very existence, so be patient.

amazzara

Online Training Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 24, 2009
    Connecticut
    when zero feedback or very low, I usually ask for a photo of the actual item with my wtb screen on the background, .. or I just ask for FaceTime call and ask to show the object live.

Reactions: goneballistic

pinhead

Unnecessary Overkill
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2013
    Orchard Lake, MI
    I also check the users profile and post history before getting involved in a sale. I’ve done the FaceTime call too and it puts my
    mind at ease. Also just done things through text message and no one has had any issue providing me with a picture of their drivers license. If someone won’t talk on the phone, won’t show the item via FaceTime, won’t show a DL, do you really want to do business with them?

sheepdog697

RegionRat
    Minuteman
  • Feb 26, 2017
    Cedar Lake, IN
    www.ibew.com
    There are tones of honest people here, Just look at their profiles first. Scammers can never be contributors.
    They only have random meaningless posts upped their count. Contributing members are honest.
    The feedback function on here is pretty useful. Everytime I do a transaction I try to ask for feedback, and leave it. Scammers are everywhere. I haven’t got burned in a few years....

Reactions: McMayor

FjallJager

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    I have stopped buying things over $500 from people I don't know.

I am done doing trades, I can't tell you how many times that has worked out poorly.

I agree that a phone call is a great idea.

Some of these fucksticks are really pushy, I remember a comment about investments and the guy followed me around like I was doing free peep shows for a month. No one I know shops for an investment broker on a gun forum. Especially promising 200% return.

Jmkjr87

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2019
    I have stopped buying things over $500 from people I don't know.

I am done doing trades, I can't tell you how many times that has worked out poorly.

I agree that a phone call is a great idea.

Some of these fucksticks are really pushy, I remember a comment about investments and the guy followed me around like I was doing free peep shows for a month. No one I know shops for an investment broker on a gun forum. Especially promising 200% return.
    Somebody was looking for investors in the PX?

Reactions: FjallJager

FjallJager

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    No, it was in a thread on stocks or investing.

He started after me in the forum, and then kept after it in PM's. I finally blocked him.

Might have been honest, but I have never had someone who was worth a shit as an investment advisor chase down clients like that.

Anyone pushing to sell a managed fund doesn't know shit about investing.

Reactions: Jmkjr87

NotBotvinnik

Shooter of things
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2021
    Louisiana
    I’m a relatively new member and supporter. I’ve bought high end optics and rifles here all with great results. I suppose it’s my own fault but for most of my deals either selling or buying I haven’t received any feedback. As of lately I’ve really been pushing people to exchange feedback on deals. I suppose I could link my AR15 site user ID as I have a good bit of feedback there. Anyway thanks for the heads up and to all you scammers please just stick to Craigslist.

FjallJager

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    I’m a relatively new member and supporter. I’ve bought high end optics and rifles here all with great results. I suppose it’s my own fault but for most of my deals either selling or buying I haven’t received any feedback. As of lately I’ve really been pushing people to exchange feedback on deals. I suppose I could link my AR15 site user ID as I have a good bit of feedback there. Anyway thanks for the heads up and to all you scammers please just stick to Craigslist.
    Even if you had a ton of feedback, for me I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole. You have been here since February. Why risk it?

Downtown

Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    Before the feedback system, I would vet a member by looking through his old posts, particularly for bought and sold posts. You can learn an amazing amount
    about a person that way. I have even pmed another member asking if they minded commenting on their transaction. Among other things, that made me feel somewhat secure. Now it's evolved to members accounts being hacked and their good will stolen. Gets a little scarier every deal.

FjallJager

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    Before the feedback system, I would vet a member by looking through his old posts, particularly for bought and sold posts. You can learn an amazing amount
    about a person that way. I have even pmed another member asking if they minded commenting on their transaction. Among other things, that made me feel somewhat secure. Now it's evolved to members accounts being hacked and their good will stolen. Gets a little scarier every deal.
    That is still how I vet people. If it is less than $200 I'll probably buy from a noob if it is something I want. If it is over 200-500 I'll take 20 minutes and sniff it out.

If it is over 500 I'll research the hell out of you, require photos of your id card, login and todays date.

Only legit way to ensure you the flavor of sausage you get is the one you want, and not one with corn and shit on it.

Reactions: Mudburner

NotBotvinnik

Shooter of things
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2021
    Louisiana
    As someone posted above- a five minute phone call or especially a FaceTime call is a great way to get a feel for someone. This allows the buyer not only to see and speak to a seller, but also see the item listed for sale as well as confirm the seller is in possession of the the item. There’s still a ton of good people out there. It’s up to each of us to do our due diligence in any transaction.

trophy8

Private
    Minuteman
    Jan 20, 2012
    Georgetown Tx
    Same here it appears. Dude joined Tuesday and tried this. Pass.

C2D67CD8-066E-4820-BF85-C33AF3181F32.jpg

NotBotvinnik

Shooter of things
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Feb 14, 2021
    Louisiana
    My friend in Texas has “a ARC low rings” he wants to part out?
    Im sure you’d first have to tender a Western Union to Nigeria and then he’d have his friend in Texas overnight “a ARC low rings” to you for a cheaper price.

I bet he also has “a 100 Lapua cases”

I’m going to make a WTB ad for a 5x Laserguudheim V4 and see how many people can make me a killer deal on one.

Last edited:
    Reactions: trophy8 and Jmkjr87

Radman1

Radman
    Minuteman
    May 12, 2020
    Had someone respond to a post on Accurate Reloading of mine selling a rifle. No questions and wanted to pay via paypal with buyer protection. Had zero post.

If someone doesn't have 500 post and hasn't been on at least 3 plus years I won't talk to them.

Spooky stuff to deal with.
    Ya, and if PayPal figures out the type of transaction, no buyer OR seller protection at all

BuildingConceptsllc

Don't Start None, won't be none.
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Alabama

If they have solid feedback, you will be fine. Dont be afraid to ask for a driver's license pic either, and talk to them on the phone too. Feedback is the key. Never have I seen anyone have a scam done with someone that has solid feedback.

Downtown

Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    "Never have I seen anyone have a scam done with someone that has solid feedback." Unfortunately, we have. We've had trusted members accounts hacked, their email changed, and scammers posing as them do ther scamming thing.