• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Scanning / spotting with a thermal scope?

SupressYourself

Hillbilly Intellectual
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
Eastern ND
Who has a thermal scope that they use as a handheld scanner?
I have a Bering Super Yoter 50 on my rifle that I really like. While not really designed as a scanner, it seems compact enough to be handy. Would it be dumb to just buy a second one and use it as a scanner?

Pros:
- Familiar controls
- Backup / loaner weapon sight

Cons:
- Ergonomics?

Reactions: Evolution 9
Using a iRay Rico MK1 RH50 and I thought about going that way, getting a second to scan and or put on another rifle. Question was this...will you really use another $6K sight as such? Or just need something to keep you from being glued to the tripod. I ended up going with a monocular instead. A lot of the controls I've used are similar enough and easy to learn, palm size and quick to use, plus small/light enough to throw in a pocket.
Another option would be a Rico Micro or similar that would be small and pull double duty.
Having a scanner, whatever type it is, is the only way to go at night.

Reactions: SupressYourself
I just did exactly what you're thinking. My thermal scope is a 6x base mag 50mm lens and i bought the same scope but in the 3x/25mm version. Can report back on how it goes but i read several threads of people using thermal scopes with 2-3x base mag as scanners because the 1x wasn't cutting it at long range hunting coyotes. They just removed the mount.

I use a Burris BTH 35 for that. Works well for my needs(~100-150 yards)

One of my favorite combos is a reap-ir or NOX-35 on the gun and another in my hand to scan.

Doubles as a backup sight (i sight it in beforehand).

Scanners will have a lower base mag and bigger FOV for scanning compared to a rifle scope.
Since you don't have a mount, they should weigh less too.
It all depends on your hunting location and terrain.
Closer ranges with short distance shooting opportunities will be better suited for a spotter with a wide FOV.
The opposite for longer range shooting opportunities.
Besides FOV, having a big display to look at is another overlooked detail.
Sometimes it's easier to just tack your choices on a dart board and let the dart make the decision for you.

SJC

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like some people do this, so I feel less dumb.
I'd be looking for one with a lower base mag / wider FOV. Maybe 2x like the Super Yoter 35mm. From what I've seen, they can be had at roughly the same price as a decent 640 handheld.
The terrain I hunt is mostly pretty open, but can also be hilly where coyotes could pop out just about anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoots100
Yes, there are those who buy a scope such as a 35mm or 25mm with a decent FOV and lower magnification. They can use it as a scanner, and then use as a backup scope, buddy scope, or even to throw on a backyard critter control gun. Typically, the same spec scanner will be about 25% less expensive than the counter-part scope. Many will be smaller and/or weigh less. So my answer is yes some buy a compact scope and use it as a scanner. I personally prefer a dedicated scanner, but that is me. One consideration is if a person wears glasses, most scopes have more forgiving eye relief than traditional scanners, so this can be a pro for using a scope as a scanner.

The Super Yoter 35 or 25 are great choices for a dual-role or scanner only role. Those on a tighter budget could go Vibe35 or Vibe25. For using either the Yoters or Vibes as scanner, the more the role is scanner, the more I would lean towards 25mm models, and the more the use is as a scope, the more I would lean towards the 35.

You could also consider the NOX35 and NOX18 if your budget can afford. With the NOX, you can even go HMT if you wish.

For using either the Yoters or Vibes as scanner, the more the role is scanner, the more I would lean towards 25mm models, and the more the use is as a scope, the more I would lean towards the 35.
Can you elaborate on the "why" here? Is it just a field of view thing?
Thing is, I may be able to get a 1 year old SY35 for slightly more than a new Phenom 640. They're both 2x, and while I can see that the Phenom has a wider FOV and I assume the ergonomics are a little nicer, it's limited to one role.

Side question: are all the mounts on Bering scopes epoxied on? -- I think I'd want to remove that for a handheld role.

Can you elaborate on the "why" here? Is it just a field of view thing?
It is hard to answer questions on forums as everyone's needs are different and why I recommend that I speak to a person about their individual needs. However, on Forums I have to try to speak in generalities. My comments were addressing general needs, but they vary depending on many factors including terrain, target species etc. For example, for hog hunters who want to stalk hogs, they may want a long-range scanner to tell deer from hogs from the truck, and then stalk in and shoot with a wide FOV scope because they are stalking into close range with many hogs in a sounder. Whereas most coyote hunters want a wide FOV of scanner to see them coming from any direction while calling and then shoot with a little more magnification as their shots may be longer and more singular or a few animals vs a large group of hogs.

The simple answer is it is totally a FOV and base magnification thing. With everything else being the same, a 25mm lens has less of a focal length, so it ends up having a wider FOV and lower base magnification.

Vibe 25: FOV 14.9° and Base Mag 1.4x
Vibe 35: FOV 10.7° and Base Mag 2x

Super Yoter 25: FOV 18° and Base Mag 1.5x
Super Yoter 35: FOV 11° and Base Mag 2x

Phenom 640: 13° and Base Mag 2x

Thing is, I may be able to get a 1 year old SY35 for slightly more than a new Phenom 640. They're both 2x, and while I can see that the Phenom has a wider FOV and I assume the ergonomics are a little nicer, it's limited to one role.

Yes, the Phenom has a singular role. It cannot be used as a scope, only a scanner. So, if you need a device to do 2 things, the choice is easy. For coyote hunting, I will always need a scanner, so for me I buy a scanner. If my purpose could be 2-fold, then maybe I would consider. I already mentioned scanners are typically cheaper, and yes they will have better ergonomics for holding or transporting it. There are lots of people using compact scopes as scanners, and if that fits your needs, that is great.

Side question: are all the mounts on Bering scopes epoxied on? -- I think I'd want to remove that for a handheld role.
Yes, they are epoxied on. What some people do is use a selfie stick and tap a hole in a picatinny rail or riser and then mount the Scope with picatinny mount right on the pic rail of the selfie stick. This takes the fatigue off your shoulder and make scanning easier. If you are wanting it for a dual-role, I would leave the mount on.

Last edited: