• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 17 20in barrel accuracy

matt452326

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2021
NC
Does anyone have the scar 17 with the 20in barrel? I'd like to know how accurate it is for a 20in barrel on a gas platform. What ammo works best?
Thanks

Reactions: Halcyonhal
I have a SCAR 17 with 20" barrel. Truth is; I don't notice any difference in accuracy from the 16" barrel. Best groups are around 1.5-2moa with Federal GMM 175gr match. 147gr m80 is about 2-3moa. I used to have a DPMS LR308 that I could consistently get 3/4moa or better out of with almost any ammo and sold it to buy the SCAR not knowing at the time that the SCAR 17 is a battle rifle, not a precision rifle. If you reload, you can get the SCAR to do a little better but it's still not going to be a precision long range gun in my opinion. Probably going to sell mine, topped with a NF NXS2.5-10 in mils

From what we have experienced, the Scar 20 platform is make for more sniper / accurate shots. The Scar 17 frame is just jumpy. Scar 20 seems to perform well enough. It would not be my first choice for a .308 accurate shooter, but it would make my top 10.