• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17 barrel/scratched brass

ARKEMAXUS

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2012
colorado
Hi guys, just took my new aftermarket SCAR 17 barrel in 6.5 CM out for a test drive the other day and it's leaving all my brass scratched on the body. Take a look at these pics. The 2 on the left are from this barrel, 2 on the right are my friend's 6.5 bolt gun. Never had any factory barrels do this on semi autos and I've had several. Maybe swipes on the rim from extraction but not this.

Is this relatively normal or did he just not polish the inside of the chamber before shipping it to me?
If it doesn't hurt anything I'm not going to worry about it, but don't want it ruining my cases prematurely. What are your thoughts?

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Semiautos are usually rougher on brass, some more than others. You should see the brass from my NDM-86, after 3 reloads they are scrap.

Reactions: ARKEMAXUS
Yeah Varg, I've had other semi autos and other SCAR barrels and never had 'em do this which is what had me concerned, thanks for your reply.

When a semi ejects brass carbon gets left in the chamber scratching the brass. Clean the chamber
after every round and no more scratches.

When a semi ejects brass carbon gets left in the chamber scratching the brass. Clean the chamber
after every round and no more scratches.
This is what I do. I single feed with the gas shut off, hand eject the round after firing, and then spin a patch in the chamber. All I shoot is semi-autos. Bolt guns are lame. 😏