• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17 Optics Choice

shoedo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Georgia
Which optic did you choose for your SCAR 17 and why? I know that the wow factor prevails sometimes but did you mount your glass for a reason other than the wow factor?

I second the elcan.
big reason is because its meant to be there and the scar 17 is known to be really tough on optics.
alot less likely your scars going to destroy your optic if you get something hardy like the elcan.
full disclosure I owned one and sold it because I didnt like it. wasnt enough magnification for me for a 308. but also credit where credit is due, it does what its intended to do and it does it really really well. Huge FOV.
if not the elcan and you want more magnification, get something rated for it and with a real good warranty.

I went NF ATACR 1-8x for true 1x and because my SCAR shoots m80 ball well enough that it's actually pretty effective out to 800y.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Nightforce ATACR 1-8! Really, outstanding glass & nearly perfect fit for the 17 imho

TA31 ACOG with primary arms ACSS aurora reticle. I love it for a multi role gun. I tried a HDMR and a SWFA 5-20hd on it before the ACOG, but they just didn’t seem like the right fit. My SCAR eats about anything and craps golden results, M80 through 175smk to 800yds is no problem.

Trijicon AccuPower 4-16x50 with offset RMR and ADM Delta QD mount. Because I wanted to stretch it a bit. I am now looking to replace it with VCOG 1-6 or 1-8 soon.

I have a Leupold 3-9 VX-R Patrol with a ADM Delta QD mount on mine. I have had this setup for over 8 years and the scope has held up fine. I have broken the mount cross bolts twice during that period.

Reactions: HuskyRooster
Currently have a Leupold VX 1-6x24 on my SCAR 17, which is ok but I had to send the scope in for repair due to the electronic red-dot center going dead sometime in the first 1000 rounds. I would attribute it to the gun. The optic works fine without the red dot though.

I'm now thinking of SBR'ing it to a factory 13" barrel and trying either the Elcan 1-4 or a straight EoTech red dot. As much as I like to play 'designated marksman' at the range, my bolt gun is the better tool for reaching out past 400 yards. And realistically, with the type of fighting that is likely to happen if and when civil unrest comes to my neighborhood (I'm only 30min from Kenosha, WI), it will probably benefit to have a true 1x and a fast handling setup than a DMR with a longer barrel and higher end magnification range. If I wanted to go that route, I'd buy either the Vortex Razor 1-6 or new 1-10. You may not be giving up much with the low end of 1.5x on the larger Elcan, but personally I'd rather have the true 1x.

If I was going to build the SCAR 17 like a DMR or long-ish range build (similar to a SCAR 20) then I'd probably think about a NF 4-16 or a ZCO 4-20. I've made hits easily to 600yds with the 1-6x, so the rifle is certainly capable if that's how you want to utilize it.