• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17 rail extension and clip on night vision.

Sebben

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
Snellville, GA
I finally got my SCAR 17s. I was wondering if any one was running a full size variable power scope like a vortex viper PST 4-16x50 and a PVS 22 on a scar 17? It needs a rail extension to mount the night vision in front of the scope but which one will provide the proper spacing? I'm hoping I don't have to remove the front sight for the MI SSR rail. And I need to know which one works before I drop $200 and it doesn't suit my needs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

PVS 22 should be good to go its rated to 50bmg. Guess I'll find out lol

I am not sure on the anwser to your question, but becarefull because the 7.62 SCAR's are notoriously hard on optics.

Here we go again......its on the internet, therefore if must be true!

The PVS-22/PVS-27 from FLIR/ITT is designed to be weapon mounted and uses a patented shock mitigation unit in their systems....not sure what brand you are using.

For the record yes I have a SCAR 16s and SCAR 17s and no I have not had any optics issues.....ACOG, Aimpoints, Leupold MK4/MK6, Crappy EOTech, ELCAN, etc.

I think the only thing the SCAR has a reputation for is breaking is bank accounts, lol.

The PVS-22/PVS-27 from FLIR/ITT is designed to be weapon mounted and uses a patented shock mitigation unit in their systems....not sure what brand you are using.

For the record yes I have a SCAR 16s and SCAR 17s and no I have not had any optics issues.....ACOG, Aimpoints, Leupold MK4/MK6, Crappy EOTech, ELCAN, etc.

I think the only thing the SCAR has a reputation for is breaking is bank accounts, lol.

I have the UNS PVS 22 from FLIR and I didn't think it would be an issue with anything I mounted it on. But would you happen to know the answer to the original question?

Believe it might work but you would have to remove the rear iron sight. Honestly, though the PVS 22 will be way to far out front for my likeing.

Too long a scope to run with a PVS-22 on that system, ELCAN, ACOG, Leupold MK6 1-6, MK8 1-8, S&B shortdot, Nightforce 2.5X10 yes GTG.

PVS-22 7.08" + Vortex Viper 13.7" =20.15"

SSR Rail adds 6" + SCAR17s 14.7" with rear iron sight / 16.3" without iron sight - 20.7"/22.3"

Thanks! Looks like I'll have to pick up a USO 1-8. Might have to sell the vortex.. I'll have more money in my SCAR than my car haha

Thanks! Looks like I'll have to pick up a USO 1-8. Might have to sell the vortex.. I'll have more money in my SCAR than my car haha

If you dont mind me asking what's your intended purpose long range hog hunting at night?

I've got some private land to frolic in. all kinds of things to put 30 cal holes in. Also gun site hills isn't to far away and they have night shoots from time to time out to 700yds. I've got an eotech and the vortex. Don't have any in between optic like 1-8 powers or acogs.

Haven't been one for hunting. Always shot steel. But who knows I might give some hogs a try. They just made hunting with suppressors legal in GA

Hunting hogs is a great time especially if you can team up on equipment vs fronting everything yourself.

An affordable FLIR handheld thermal unit for scanning then swap to your NVD system for identification and to make the shot.

I cant afford a $15,000 pure thermal system like the FLIR T-50 or the super FLIR T-70 SKYPUP has on this Fourm, lol.

I live vicariously through SKYPUP here.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-devices/127470-flir-t-50-initial-set-up.html

Reactions: JOThompson
The company I work for sells night vision and some inexpensive thermals. We have a very good customer base maybe I'll see if one of them wants to go shooting some piggies.

If you do post up some pics and let us know how it turns out!

Sure. I've got to do some load testing for my AR build and scar 17 I'll do a write up on both when I get a chance. Got to get the USO 1-8 first but that's a ways off, just bought the scar and finished the AR. Not to mention the scar still needs a trigger, rail, charging handle and mags. Need to do some selling and trading to build back up the funds haha.

The SCAR and especialy the 17 have a KNOWN issue with lessor optics. Many of the current crop of hi end electro optical military sights have been hardened as a result of the SCAR17 destroying optics.

Personaly, I would not put my own PVS 22 on a SCAR, and I am one the biggest SCAR supporter out there. Its just too much of a financial risk for a known issue.

For what its worth, the 17 has a sharper and more severe recoil impulse than a 50BMG, hence why it has, can and will destroy optics and lasers rated for 50bmg.

In fact right now SOCOM is going through a product improvement plan to find a solution to mitigate these problems.

I would only put QUALITY, hardended optics and sights on a scar for this reason (XPS/EXPS Eotechs, M4/T1 AP's, NF, Bushy, S&B, ect)

First, my mistake was in trying to set up my SCAR like my ARs, most of which have long handguards (railed or otherwise). I wanted a longer rail out front on the SCAR as well, so I ended up trying both the PWS and Branham offerings. I found that these rail extensions made the SCAR too muzzle heavy for my liking; the SCAR lost its lightweight handiness which had impressed me when I first bought it. Once I returned the SCAR to its stock configuration, I was pleased, and I was still able to mount my accessories how i wanted them.

Second, where to get parts. While the conventional word on the internet is that parts are impossible to get, there are multiple sources. The most obvious is to call FN directly, which I have heard of people doing with some success. There are other vendors as well - the two I have used multiple times with success are Midwest Gun Works, and Stryker Enterprises. Each place has goods / others when it comes to buying FN SCAR parts.

- MGW has a great online real time inventory but seems to have a minimum part cost of $5, even for super small parts, pins, and springs. But shipping is fast, they have loads of stuff, and if it's out of stock you can sign up for email notification. They also have an online schematic for the SCAR so you can get an idea of what parts are called and what you need.

- Stryker Enterprises is a vendor at FN Forum and is often able to acquire interesting FN SCAR parts such as operator tool kits, upgraded lower rail, etc. They also make a replacement charging handle called the "EACH", which I like a lot. Downside is all ordering has to be done via email or PM, and for someone who isn't knowledgable about what parts are in a SCAR, or what they are called, this can be a barrier to getting what you want. I'm told they are working on a website, so hopefully that will improve.

*Please note I'm not affiliated with the above mentioned vendors, only that is where I've purchased parts for my SCARs with success.

If you look around the Geissele Super SCAR trigger can be found for sub $300. I would recomend this as the single most important/worthwhile upgrade before bolting all kinds of other stuff to the rifle. Well that and maybe ammo and a long gun class and you will find out what you need and what you dont.

The stock sling attachment points are soft metal. If you attach a sling using an HK hook or MASH clip (particularly the MASH clip) you will eventually eat through the factory loop, which deadlines the gun. Use something like the Blue Force wire adapter or the Urban ERT paracord adapter. The blue force gear 255 and 325 Universal Wire Loops are cost effective and what i run as well as a blue force VCAS sling.

Tango down after market metal rails with QD slots are also good to go and dont add much additional weight.

Scope mounts such as LaRue or ADM need to be reversed so that the throw levers are on the opposite side from the side you are running the charging handle on. Unless you enjoy constant skinned knuckles, that is. Depends on which side you want to run your charging handle on.

My current rifle

Another for inspiration

Last edited:
Excellent information! Thanks! This will help not only my self but a lot of other people in their scar endeavors. Did you post a picture of your rifle? If you did it didn't come through.

One other thing. Get yourself a good stockage of SCAR17s OEM mags while they are reasonably priced and available as it’s just good sense. The number you need is up to you. Fare price recently is between the $28-30 per 20rd FN OEM Mag. Don't pay stupid prices as it only keeps the price gougers going.

Some guys that already have an AR-10 platform have swapped out the polymer lower on their SCAR17s for a Handel or another brand so they can use existing Magpul PMags or SR-25 mags that they already have.

Best advise I can give is get out and shoot your rifle get a feel for it and then figure out what you wants/needs are.

I've only got 5 sr25 mags so its not cost effective to switch to the handel. One other question. Would the USO 1-8 with an oal of 12" fit with the PVS 22 and no rail extension? I think it should but my only concern is optics seem to be mounted farther forward on the scar than on an AR. ARs seem to be dependant on shooting style for scope position and eye relief. Such as nose to charging handle.

One other thing. Get yourself a good stockage of SCAR17s OEM mags while they are reasonably priced and available as it’s just good sense. The number you need is up to you. Fare price recently is between the $28-30 per 20rd FN OEM Mag. Don't pay stupid prices as it only keeps the price gougers going.

Some guys that already have an AR-10 platform have swapped out the polymer lower on their SCAR17s for a Handel or another brand so they can use existing Magpul PMags or SR-25 mags that they already have.

Best advise I can give is get out and shoot your rifle get a feel for it and then figure out what you wants/needs are.

Where are you finding them for that price? Even with me dealer account, brownells is still $34-36 a pop.

Thanks in advance.

Your correct I think my mind and the numbers on the key board are not cooperating tonight. Typical range is probubly in the $34-40 arena.

Brownell's isnt too bad especially if your getting the MIL/LEO discount

Midway has deals every so often.

$34 - unfortunately out of stock - https://agsarmament.com/fnh-usa-scar-17s-20rd-magazine-black

STRYKER ENTERPRISES........

A few other places as well...... just have to keep on the look outout

Last edited:
I've only got 5 sr25 mags so its not cost effective to switch to the handel. One other question. Would the USO 1-8 with an oal of 12" fit with the PVS 22 and no rail extension? I think it should but my only concern is optics seem to be mounted farther forward on the scar than on an AR. ARs seem to be dependant on shooting style for scope position and eye relief. Such as nose to charging handle.

You might have to take your rear iron sight off in order to get everything to mount up correctly but it should fit as the mounting point on the PVS-22 is farther back than the end of the OAL of the unit.

You would probubly have around 2 - 2 1/2" to spare at the end with no hang over. Honestly, I think it would be pretty cumbersome and throw the weapon handling characteristics off.

Below is a pic of a PVS-27 -8.7" mounted on a SCAR 17s with a Leupold MK8 - 11.75"

Last edited:
Perfect! I've been looking for a pic like that. I wouldn't be swinging that monster around like a 3 gun. Only using it for stationary shooting with the PVS 22 and suppressor. Thing would be insanely front heavy. Now I just need to find a less expensive option than a DBAL. I heard good things about the Burris IR illuminator http://www.burrisoptics.com/arspir.html

Look at the PEQ-15 or DBAL-A2. If you want less expensive and don't need a visible laser try the PEQ-2 or DBAL-I2.

The only thing the restricted units give you that the civi units do not is the laser illuminator. The 30 and 50mw IR laser pointers on these units in my opinion are just to powerful for your avg user and I would include LE in that statement.

Considering the advantages of the laser illuminator I can easily sympathize with the desire for a C3 unit. The low on the -15 is 0.6wm, which is a great level and makes the 30/50mw aiming lasers.... excessive. However, the <5mw diffused illuminating lasers are a real issue. Hopefully at some point the FDA will authorize lower level C3 IR lasers with a certain amount of diffusal. (The low on the -15 is 3.5mw, i can't imagine that's not eye safe when diffused.)

I bet more people damage their eyes with power washers than IR lasers by far just more back door disarmament as far as the FDA is concerned.

It really depends on your definition of "reasonably priced". Believe the Class 1 IRs would work great for your purposes.

Start here: Laser Systems ? Catalog Categories ? Tactical Night Vision Company

Approximate Prices for C1 and C3 lasers:
EOLAD (IR laser mounted on an Eotech)- $1100
DBAL I^2 IR/Green- $896
DBAL I^2 IR/Red- $741
ITAL or OTAL (IR only)- $525

Thats a wholeeeeeeeeeeeee lota money sitting right there. Just needs a can for those quiet shots in the dark.

I would check with Vic at TVNC and confirm if the PVS will handle prolonged use on a SCAR17 and how it would be taken care of if something were to happen. He "should" know.
Better to be safe than sorry when your talking that kinda $$.

SCAR 17 $2900,
USO SR8 and GDI mount $2800,
G trigger $300
Silencer co saker/break $1185
IR laser $1500
PVS 22 $8000 (used)
Mags ~$400 (10)
GG&G HD bipod $200

Grand total of $17385

Shooting things in the dark quietly. PRICELESS haha!

Note: ammo and batteries not included.

That's what I paid for my subaru wrx... is there a shooters anonymous?

Last edited:
Make sure you get a good insurance policy on all of it. Its cheap. My gun policy is over $40K alone and its less than $300/yr through USAA. Lost some stuff in a fire at the GF's house and it has already paid for itself over the next 10 years.