• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17 range report

Eurodriver

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2011
USA
I feel like I've plastered this all over the internet, but I was told at the range today to register here and post this. I've met a few Hide members, and if the rest of the forum is anything like that bunch I know I'll fit in just fine.

Anyway, I finally got my SCAR out after purchasing it on Saturday.

Ammo used was German 7.62x51 DAG surplus
10 MPH Winds at 1/2 value with higher gusts
For reference, the Shoot N See targets are 8" circles.

Completely Stock SCAR 17 with a TA31RCOA4 ACOG (Chevron reticle with 800m BDC)

I swapped the PWS Comp out for a Vortex FH.

riflel.jpg

scarfv.jpg

I zerod the ACOG to shoot high at 75 yards, I can't really tell you how high it was shooting, maybe 2 or 3 inches, because as soon as I got it zero'd close, another lane opened up and I moved to it in order to shoot farther.

I actually shot at 475 yards first, which are the 4 or 5 hits you see to the right of the target. Elevation was perfect at 475 yards using the 500m tick mark on the ACOG. I adjusted left and finished the magazine. I fired all the remaining rounds without being able to see my impacts. I'm almost positive if I did it again I could get it below 3 MOA.

475 yard group
475m.jpg

After that string, I moved the target to 300 yards. This is my 2nd group. Again, I had no means of spotting my impacts at this point and had to fire the entire string without being able to correct it. The first group shot low, and I had to compensate by placing the 300m tick mark about 2/3 of the way up the circle. About where the top of the 9 ring is.

300 yard group
300qp.jpg

I shot out to 565 yards at a monster truck tire. I was able to consistently (without fail) place every round inside the tire. If anyone is familiar with Manatee Gun club in Florida you know which tire I'm talking about.

I really can't ask more from a battle rifle, I know for a fact if I fed this some FGMM and put a high power optic on it those groups would shrink drastically. Does it compare to a precision semi auto? Not really. But for what it is, I am extremely happy with minute of man at almost 600 yards, its nice having a battle rifle that you know will hit steel at 600 all day. I'm surprised the 5.56 reticle is pretty close too.

Re: SCAR 17 range report

Hey Matt,

Welcome to the Hide! Nice write up. Great shooting, especially considering the conditions and the fact that you were using a V notched 4x4 for a rest. Thanks for letting me try out your SCAR, and it was great meeting you.

David

Hey David, I'm glad you saw this (apparently SCAR 17s are not that popular here
wink.gif
)

No big deal on letting you use the SCAR, anytime. Thanks for letting me get my first rounds downrange through quality .308 and .22 suppressed setups. Thats a freaking blast.

I will be heading out there next month with a real rest, sandbags, a spotting scope, and match ammo. Hopefully my Form 4s will be back by then and I can use my Pilot and M4-2000. After all, I need to be considerate to other shooters right??

Lol.... Yes, everyone should be that considerate! I think guys on here are SCAR curious, but the price keeps 'em away. This thread has had a lot of views in the short time it's been up. I'm impressed with how you shot with the stuff you had. Can't was to see what you do next month.

Let me know in advance which day you're planning on and I'll try to arrange our trip for that day,

Eurodriver, I like mine too. Took it out to Ramseur for the pop-up shoot last Saterday. We shot a few groups @ 300 on paper to check zero's. That upper right shot was me pulling it right. I think I could hold it to 1 MOA with a better trigger. I sent the lower to Bill Springfield on Monday for a trigger job. Even though the HAMR is ballistically calibrated for M855 in a M4, it was dead on at every range. We shot military pop-ups from 200 through 500 yards and I came in 3rd with 24 out of 30 first round hits.

SCARHAMRGroup.jpg

HAMR1.jpg

When I had one of these it sat at around 1 MOA with BH red box 175G.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol.... Yes, everyone should be that considerate! I think guys on here are SCAR curious, but the price keeps 'em away. This thread has had a lot of views in the short time it's been up. I'm impressed with how you shot with the stuff you had. Can't was to see what you do next month.

Let me know in advance which day you're planning on and I'll try to arrange our trip for that day, </div></div>

Definitely will do. I just have to get some 7.62 first. I literally shot every round I owned on Friday. Maybe my buddy will be more interested in shooting something other than his out of the box 9mm Sig.
shocked.gif
I'm also about to email Strider regarding my knife, I hope they take care of me.

Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnnyReb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eurodriver, I like mine too. Took it out to Ramseur for the pop-up shoot last Saterday. We shot a few groups @ 300 on paper to check zero's. That upper right shot was me pulling it right. I think I could hold it to 1 MOA with a better trigger. I sent the lower to Bill Springfield on Monday for a trigger job. Even though the HAMR is ballistically calibrated for M855 in a M4, it was dead on at every range. We shot military pop-ups from 200 through 500 yards and I came in 3rd with 24 out of 30 first round hits.
</div></div>

Please let me know how the trigger turns out. Geiselle wants a stupid amount of money for their new SCAR trigger. I really didn't even have a problem with the stock trigger.

I had the same situation with my optic and SCAR. The 5.56 reticle was within an MOA of actual impact. I was surprised, and glad. I may sell this optic though, I don't like the eye relief. On a 5.56 its fine, but the .308 recoil sometimes pushes it into your glasses. (I think it may have got Medic too, but I'm not sure)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I had one of these it sat at around 1 MOA with BH red box 175G. </div></div>

Had one? Past tense?
confused.gif

hello buddy for your information i have a scar 16s and love it and im running a acog on it with a pvs-14 on mine and i am just in love with it but some thing you should know the acog you are using is made for m4s that shoot 5.56 not the 7.62 your shooting in your scar 17s they do make acogs that are set up for the 7.62 if you have any questions just ask

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello buddy for your information i have a scar 16s and love it and im running a acog on it with a pvs-14 on mine and i am just in love with it but some thing you should know the acog you are using is made for m4s that shoot 5.56 not the 7.62 your shooting in your scar 17s they do make acogs that are set up for the 7.62 if you have any questions just ask </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up, I already knew that however. This is an extra ACOG I had lieing around. As you can tell, the reticle isn't too far off.

I didn't buy a 5.56 reticled ACOG specifically for this rifle.

How do you run the PVS14 with the ACOG? Behind it or in front of it? I've always ran into a POI shift mounted either way.