• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar-17 tips/tricks and ammo recommendations?

gunsmithcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2003
SoCal
Gents,
Acquring a Scar-17 and was wondering if you guys had any tips/tricks to make it a better rifle. I know it's not a precision rifle and I don't expect it to, but just wondering what sorts of mods and maybe what ammo you've found that it likes.
Thanks

Re: Scar-17 tips/tricks and ammo recommendations?

Your first trick may be acquiring spare magazines. I picked up mine from Botach.

The metal stock latch is good item to have. The E.A.C.H. charging handle looks like a great addition. Can't speak to too many different types of ammo, but mine has been fed numerous rounds of Priv Partisan (147) and loves it (but then again, Scar's can eat anything). And of course as mentioned above, buy mags. Luckily, they seem to be more plentiful and reasonably priced these days. Oh, and you should join the FN forums too.

I prefer the GG&G SCAR charging handle to the EACH handle. That's just me.

Reported problems with some of the optics mounts, the QD optics mounts in particular. I'm running a Larue...but I'm lefty (on long guns) and swapped the CH over so it's not an issue. There may be a potential "impact" issue with some of the mounts.

The two big things to do in my opinion are to get a PWS extended rail and to replace the PWS muzzle brake.

The extended rail allows you to move your support hand further out.
The muzzle brake that comes with the rifle is very effective, but comes with some serious blast. I felt like I was getting slapped every time I pulled the trigger. Those were the best two upgrades that I did.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falsecrack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1kOrBust,

I'm still running the factory charging handle on mine. Could you please elaborate on why you prefer the GG&G?

</div></div>

The GG&G handle looks just like the original one except it angles down. The other handles are bulkier and could potentially hook on things while movng the rifle around. I like the original look anyway.

I also like the PWS extension. Besides the better handling part, i feel it gives the rifke a slightly better balance.

1. get the Geisselle Trigger. Expensive but worth it.
Then get an extended rail.
Here is mine.
SCARwithNightforce.jpg

Here are my range reports. Best I have done so far is 1.33 moa.
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/SCAR%2017%20targets/

^^^I think that is the most tricked out SCAR Heavy I have seen to date - kudos to you sir.

+1 on the Geiselle trigger. Major, major improvement.

Magpul selector lever is an improvement IMO, but not a huge one.

Mine eats any and all ammo so far - Argy, SA, Winchester NATO, American Eagle 150gr, Federal 147gr NATO FMJ, FGMM 168gr, Prvi Match 168 gr...and probably a few others I am forgetting. I haven't tried any steel case and probably won't.

I had the same Nightforce as above in Nightforce rings but swapped it out for a Hendsoldt 3-12X50 in a Larue OBR mount.

Get some rail covers...whatever flavor you like.

I ditched the PWS comp. It works really well but 1) the blast is a bit obnoxious and 2) it makes a pinging noise I found annoying. I installed a QD Gemtech phantom-style mount so I can run my Quicksand can sometimes. If I was going to go with a brake I'd try the Battlecomp.

When I get the money saved I want a Surefire muzzle brake and a Surefire suppressor to go with it. Not sure if I want the mini can or a full size. Leaning towards the mini can.
Pat

Mine likes 155 TAP the best so far. Will put all 20 rounds inside a 2" circle at 100.

I cant figure out how to post pics yet so Ill just at my .02

My I sighted my scar in with the Horniday 168g Amax Match stuff. Factory ammo. It seems to print well for a battle rifle. I was getting about 1" 5 shot groups with the factory trigger at 100. I agree with getting a new trigger cause the factory one sucks. That is the one thing I dont understand about that gun. Almost 3k and the trigger is worse then a $75 mil spec. It feels like you gotta drag the trigger through a mile of broken glass before you get to the wall.

I also have the factory FN extended rail, Vortex Viper PST 1-4, plan on adding all magpul gear.

I don't know about your factory trigger, but on mine I can actually pull the trigger a millimeter or two rearward and it will just stick there if I relax my finger. That's pretty bad!

I have heard of guys on the FN forum taking the trigger group out and taking all the paint and shit off of the mating/moving surfaces. Kind of a home brew polish job, but be carful not to remove any or extremely little metal material. The results where a smoother pull and about 1 lbs lighter from one guy. (from about 8# to about 7#)

Sounds time consuming and not worth it for me. Ill just work some OT and buy the super scar some day.

And yes on the GG&G CH. That is also my favorite, and the price is good. I will order one soon cause once I put the optic on mine it is am MUST have.

i won't consider buying one till the billet one that takes dpms mags hits the market. a start would be the magpul selector, and geissele trigger, rail extension and realize that it will never be as accurate as a ar10 LMAO

I didnt buy mine to be as accurate as an AR10, thats what my AR10 is for.

Pic of mine as of now. I finally got the Promoted Pawn rail install after this pic.

scar5.jpg

the scar has a lot of potential it just isn't where it needs to be yet. that gun will continue to evolve for a while

Agree very much. There is less then 1/1000th of the aftermarket for it compared to the AR platform. With the Mil. working with them it should start to drive the aftermarket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maverick26</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didnt buy mine to be as accurate as an AR10, thats what my AR10 is for.

Pic of mine as of now. I finally got the Promoted Pawn rail install after this pic.

scar5.jpg
</div></div>

Dumb question but how do you remove the front sight. I want to take mine off as well.
Pat

Thats a good one.

First thing you must drift out the small roll pin that goes through the nut of the adjuster screw. Then the nut will come off. Unthread the adjuster screw and be carful. There are springs and ball bearings in this assy. I did mine on a bed sheet to chatch all the crap flying out. It slides off after all that.

If you get fed up with the roll pin you can just unthread the adjuster screw by holding the nut. Be warned this will shear off the end of the scew and will not allow you to put the front sight back on.

The hardes part is the roll pin.

Check out Promoted Pawn for their flat top kit.

I'm finding mine groups the best with a warm (or hot) barrel and the worst from a cold barrel - the first shot from cold bore is consistently low. Just the opposite of my FALs where the first group is usually the best.

When checking the zero, come back and verify after the barrel has warmed up.

ame with mine except mine shoots 10 o'clock with a CCB. It seems to like a dirty hot barrel the most for shooting groups. It is pretty consistant around 1-1.5moa and has shot several 5 round groups around .75moa but there isn't any consistancy in repeated efforts. It does hold very solid out to 500 meters and in the next few weeks I'll get out to a spot to see how it shoots out to 100m.I'm handloading for it and it does OK with just a standard 150FMJBT. We've run 4 kinds of match bullets through it and really don't see a big enough improvement to get excited about at 500m and under.I run mine stock except for a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44mm on a AAD-mount.I have a Harris bipod to go prone with but that comes off most of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quickdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same with mine except mine shoots 10 o'clock with a CCB.... </div></div>

Out today with mine and decided to check cold bore 1st shot and group with my reloas (150 Hornady/Varget). 1st shot went exactly where it was supposed to. The 5 shot group at 100 ran 1.28".

Too weird. Maybe the first shot being low has to do with a freshly lubed bolt or something along those lines (recoil impulse change). This was my 4th outing since the last minor clean and lube job (I'm not anal about cleaning). I have about 1,500+ rounds through this 17S and a first shot / cold bore (low) flyer has been pretty common.

The two big things to do in my opinion are to get a PWS extended rail and to replace the PWS muzzle brake.

The extended rail allows you to move your support hand further out.
The muzzle brake that comes with the rifle is very effective, but comes with some serious blast. I felt like I was getting slapped every time I pulled the trigger. Those were the best two upgrades that I did.

What did you put on the muzzle? I hate the pws after I shot my scar for the first time today. Anybody else that changed out the muzzle brake please let me know what you put on your scar.

Reported problems with some of the optics mounts, the QD optics mounts in particular. I'm running a Larue...but I'm lefty (on long guns) and swapped the CH over so it's not an issue. There may be a potential "impact" issue with some of the mounts.

Steel Lever vs Alum reciever...........what could go wrong?

I have heard of guys on the FN forum taking the trigger group out and taking all the paint and shit off of the mating/moving surfaces. Kind of a home brew polish job, but be carful not to remove any or extremely little metal material. The results where a smoother pull and about 1 lbs lighter from one guy. (from about 8# to about 7#)

Sounds time consuming and not worth it for me. Ill just work some OT and buy the super scar some day.

And yes on the GG&G CH. That is also my favorite, and the price is good. I will order one soon cause once I put the optic on mine it is am MUST have.

My stock trigger is great. No its not Giselle great, but its among the best Battle rifle triggers I have ever felt. Short Take up and crisp break. My SN is the 31,7XX Range.

Own a bunch of AR's, Battle rifles, and AR10's.........and the SCAR is last gun I will ever sell. It is the best all around weapon currently made. Light, Accurate, ergonomic, stupid reliable and super low recoil for the round.

What did you put on the muzzle? I hate the pws after I shot my scar for the first time today. Anybody else that changed out the muzzle brake please let me know what you put on your scar.

I'm considering putting a lantac dragon 308 on mine. I do like the OEM look of the pws and the pws is still very effective.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

The factory break is the tits. The muzzle blast is really not that bad, and the low recoil and quickness to get back on target are easily worth it.

People need to stop acting like woman and let their balls drop. Its a fucking gun for christ sake............not a flute.

I love my scar 17. Accurate? Hell yes. Watch MAC (military arms channel) he puts it up against the lwrc reaper several times and the scar shot better at 100yds...

I put a EACH on it. Tango down vfg. Tango down pistol grip, Thor safety selectors, and it eats 147gr LC factory ammo like the cookie monster eats cookies.

I just finally decided on optics and am going with a vortex razor gen 2, in a reversed Fde noveske branded american defense recon mount.

The muzzle brake has a lot of blast yes... but the gun has almost no recoil to me.

I am going to do a geseille trigger in the next few months too but haven't yet because the stock one breaks very clean, way better then anything I read. I love the triggers performance, its just heavy. I'll have a stupid amount of money into the battle rifle it is but also a lot of confidence in a proven platform.

Yes the AR10 market has more shit available but who cares when not much needs changing.

Proprietary mags sucks but I snagged 7 of em for 33$/per and won't need any more.

The polymer lower is still good quality for a huge hunk of plastic. Aluminum would be nice but 300$ for handl defense is off the table for me. I've got the mags...

Last edited:
Oh yeah and as my scar sits with only iron sights and a loaded 20rd mag, it weighs 10lbs 3oz with the sling.

The factory break is the tits. The muzzle blast is really not that bad, and the low recoil and quickness to get back on target are easily worth it.

People need to stop acting like woman and let their balls drop. Its a fucking gun for christ sake............not a flute.

Yes, the pws has low recoil but just like anything else people like to customize their shit. I could easily put an AAC muzzlebrake on and run a can or any other number of options. I was just curious what others were doing. No need to question wether my balls had dropped or not.

I agree. That rifle is nearly perfect when it leaves the factory. I picked up one partially based on your comments on a pof thread and im glad i did. It shoots great with bulk ammo, and is very handy. I have been function testing mostly but I shot a few groups with it this week and it is extraordinarily accurate for what it is.

I have a NF 2.5x10 LV reticle in ADM Delta mount. Also installed the G SuperScar trigger and a Midwest Industries extended rail. I feed it Hornady 168 gr TAP for accuracy, and regular ball for blasting ammo (which still shoots about 2moa, just different POI).

Yesterday, I put 12x12 steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards. Got a cold bore first round hit at 600. Walked the dog out from 200 to 600 all hits in rapid fire using the reticle subtensions. This was off a bipod.

FTA: As the day heated up, POI seemed to rise about an moa. Didn't change dope, just had to hold on bottom edge of target or round would just miss high. Could have been mirage, too.

Next upgrade will be a Saker.

Last edited:
I have a NF 2.5x10 LV reticle in ADM Delta mount. Also installed the G SuperScar trigger and a Midwest Industries extended rail. I feed it Hornady 168 gr TAP for accuracy, and regular ball for blasting ammo (which still shoots about 2moa, just different POI).

Yesterday, I put 12x12 steel targets at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards. Got a cold bore first round hit at 600. Walked the dog out from 200 to 600 all hits in rapid fire using the reticle subtensions. This was off a bipod.

FTA: As the day heated up, POI seemed to rise about an moa. Didn't change dope, just had to hold on bottom edge of target or round would just miss high. Could have been mirage, too.

Next upgrade will be a Saker.

Any reviews on how well the silencer co trifecta muzzle brakes work?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
9ahequhu.jpg

Extended rail
Geissele trigger

I spent wait too much time trying to make it more than it is. Enjoy shooting it, it will eat everything.

Replaced factory trigger with a geiselle trigger and changed the muzzle break to an aac breakout 2.0 since it doesn't require shims. Now i can run suppressed should i choose to.

My stock trigger is great. No its not Giselle great, but its among the best Battle rifle triggers I have ever felt. Short Take up and crisp break. My SN is the 31,7XX Range.

Own a bunch of AR's, Battle rifles, and AR10's.........and the SCAR is last gun I will ever sell. It is the best all around weapon currently made. Light, Accurate, ergonomic, stupid reliable and super low recoil for the round.

Yea and its about 10 pounds lol. The trigger sucks bad and I was glad to get a Geissele on mine. I would not say the SCAR is the best all around. Its ok but at this point I wish I had just built an AR10 instead. Accuracy is so so and its hard on optics. Have had my thumb hit by the charging handle more than once.
Pat

Yea and its about 10 pounds lol. The trigger sucks bad and I was glad to get a Geissele on mine. I would not say the SCAR is the best all around. Its ok but at this point I wish I had just built an AR10 instead. Accuracy is so so and its hard on optics. Have had my thumb hit by the charging handle more than once.
Pat

What Weapon System Is More Well Rounded Then? The Trigger Is Heavy Yes But Not Unbearable. For The Price Of The System Yes It Should Be Better. But That's Where The Complaints End. The Charging Handle Complaint Is Silly. Train With Your Weapon And Youll Be Fine... I Have Yet To Hit Mine And That's 480Rds And Counting.

The AR series is more rounded. You can train around a weapons design deficiencies but that does not make those deficiencies any less deficient. The accuracy and the way the SCAR destroys optics is the main problem. I have had constant zero shift with my SCAR I am now trying Bobro precision double lever mounts to see if that corrects the problem.
Pat

The AR series is more rounded. You can train around a weapons design deficiencies but that does not make those deficiencies any less deficient. The accuracy and the way the SCAR destroys optics is the main problem. I have had constant zero shift with my SCAR I am now trying Bobro precision double lever mounts to see if that corrects the problem.
Pat

You and 99.9999999% of civilians could not even AFFORD to destroy a quality optic with a SCAR. Unless you are talking about old, unharded shit that breaks on any other gun as well.

If anything the SCAR has created MUCH better quality optics in recent years. It forced optic and laser companies to step up their game and design their products to be more rugged. XPS and EXPS exist because of the SCAR.

Pat

The AR series is definitely not better in all aspects to be considered more "well rounded" then the scar. The 5.56 ARs lack the power of the scar. The AR10 series rifles are very well known for being tempermental and thus unreliable. Sure advancements have come a ways from the AR10 market but even with those, one thing that hasnt gone away is the weight of those systems. SR25s with scope and bipod are easily pushing 14lbs. A scar with similar setup is closer to 11-12lbs. A reciprocating charging handle is not a deficiency. Its something you have to work around yes... but so is the muzzle. Dont wanna get bit by the charging handle? Im sure you dont want to get shot either... avoid the point that can cause harm. AK owners dont seem to bitch about the reciprocation. M1As, etc. And ya sure i bet you can blow out lenses on quality brand optics such as sun optics, barska, NC star. Ive read lots on how the scar is so hard on optics but have yet to see ANY hard evidence other then elcans and their uber shitty ARMS throw levers coming lose. I have zero issue with my vortex razor hd 1-6. It took me 6 months to decide on what optic to run.

My DPMS G2 with a Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10 and Vicker's sling is 9 pounds. I'll be switching it to a Weaver 1-5 this week, it should weight about 8.5 lbs. with that.

On a thread regarding tips and tricks for a SCAR17 why would people post things about their rifles that are clearly not a SCAR17. If I saw a thread about accurizing a M1A I would not hop on and start talking about my SCAR17 or AR-10s. I am not trying to ruffle feathers of any posters who went off topic. Threads have been going wild with off tangent arguments lately. Let's keep it organized and on topic. The SCAR17 value thread is the better place for arguments and facts about guns that are not of the SCAR model.

My DPMS G2 with a Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10 and Vicker's sling is 9 pounds. I'll be switching it to a Weaver 1-5 this week, it should weight about 8.5 lbs. with that.

I have a Ford Mini-van and its weighs similar to a Corvette, so its just as good.........