• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 17S additions

SBest

Private
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2020
Mississippi
Hello all. I have read many posts and threads but would like to ask this question for my own personal needs. I have just recently bought a SCAR 17S, and am now looking to add a few things to it. My main use will be hunting and would like it for distance shooting as well (500m+)

I have settled on this scope

I wanted to know what a good mount that someone would recommend for that scope would be.

The other addition I want on the rifle is a foregrip (and maybe if there is a decent one a foregrip/bipod combo).

Aside from these I don't think there is anything else I want to do to the rifle, unless of course someone comments something and starts my imagination going!

Any input and recommendations are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

if you bought a scar17 and want a foregrip bipod you're fucked man

buy an atlas cal

buy a foregrip

buy a seekins/spuhr mount

If you are new to the SCAR platform, I suggest you read up on it online. There are some great resources out there and are a few things that you will need to know. Despite what the detractors might say, the 17s is one of the best 7.62 platforms, period. But, they do have their quirks. Once you get it properly set-up you will love the rifle.

For instance, SCARs have a notorious reputation for ruining optics/lasers. This is essentially because it has a very large and heavy BCG combine that with the aluminum upper which vibrates like a tuning fork. As long as you run a quality scope, you will be fine. Vortex will of course replace your optic if anything happens, so that's good.

Another issue for some is the reciprocating charging handle. It was made that way for maximum reliability and because it was part of the original DoD request. Whatever fore-grip you choose, make sure your thumb is well clear of the charging handle. Some guys move the handle to the other side and run it AK style. You can put in a delete kit for the reciprocating charging handle, but at the sacrifice of reliability.

Lastly, if you run it suppressed you will want to tune the gas. FN is a company that cares very little about the consumer market as their focus is military sales. I bring this up because if you run your SCAR suppressed it will void the FN warranty. Yes, I know it has an adjustable gas block, but FN claims it is not for a suppressor. Fortunately, you can easily swap out your gas jets and/or use a SCARberator.

Good luck and with a few tweaks you will really be happy with the 17s.

Jarod at PMM is a SCAR expert and breaks down gas jets:

Last edited:
Reactions: HD1911 and FALex
Add these on to, the mash clips you have to use on your sling mount chew the shit out of your rifle.

Reactions: Hoax001
Honestly. Get ARC m10 rings. Super awesome. Easy to mount.

Tune the gas...

I have a Mk20 and just ordered a 17 yesterday.

So I decided on the ICW charging handle --there's a few out there but this one seemed to be the best all around a lot of people like it. It's lower but instead of being crooked like the rest it's more of a hollow spoon shape --less likely to snag on shit and you can engage it easier and lower.

1608695524893.png

The sling issue: military issues the Vickers sling with the wire U loops. Since I like those slings anyway I went ahead and got one from them with the loops included for a little less than it would have cost separate. But you can get just the wire loops on Amazon --for $15 ea. Don't get knockoffs, they gotta be the Blue Force shit, especially if you get the plastic ones (good enough for army). You can get burnsed sockets to replace the loops but why? I don't care about the mash hooks marring up the sling attachment point but I do mind those things rattling around. These don't seem like they'll do either:

1608695562226.png

So you can mount 0 MOA one piece mounts and rings backwards unless there's some specific reason you can't. I really like Badger and their Condition One looks like the titties but the mounting nuts are HUGE. Certainly SCAR solid though. Nightforce Magmount is an option, the issue mount and supposedly designed for the SCAR program is an ADM QD Delta mount but there's an NSN number for the fixed mount model too. Of all the ones I've found, it looks like the ADM Delta has the smallest profile for the mounting nuts. It can also be turned around if need be. Whatever it takes to keep your knuckle meat.

1608695880356.png

I got a FA762SS for the Mk20, closest to the intended one I could get. It's gotta be a low backpressure can. Originally the 17 was issued with what was basically a long SDN6. I'll probably throw an SDN6 on it and if it's a problem I'll look at another Surefire maybe. Gas jets, yeah, I plan on SBR'ing it with a 13" bbl. so I figure some tuning is in my future but I like to keep it simple, close to stock.

Scopes that have been seen in the wild on the SCAR (17 and 20):

ACOG (I think)
Eotech
Elcan 1-6x
Several NXS variants that aren't available anymore, a couple that are
ATACR 4-16, 5-25 and probably the 1-8 now
4.5-27x Razor some say
ECOS-O (Mk6 3-18x w/RMR or Aimpoint, I forget)
S&B PM2
others...

NX8 might also be one for you to look at.

I personally think a 6x ACOG would be ideal but I'll have to get a good deal on one to beat out a 1-8x ATACR. The Elcan that was made for it would also be a good choice if it's anything like the older Elcan sights. Leupold also told me the Mk5HD would be a good match and could "take it".

Reactions: Qazwsx
ICW will make you hit the barrel attachment screws...at least it did me. I just stick to OEM.

6X ACOG is 37oz...7oz more than one of my Elcan 1/3/9...something to consider.

Last edited:
kgd handle is what i run, and it sticks out a bit more

Updated-Handle-2018-Nitride-5-small.jpg

if you bought a scar17 and want a foregrip bipod you're fucked man

buy an atlas cal

buy a foregrip

buy a seekins/spuhr mount

I don't necessarily want a foregrip bipod. I have just seen a few around that are both, so thought I'd mention it and see if anyone knew of a good one that was a combo (I figured a combo one would probably not be as good as just a foregrip). Truthfully the bipod is not something I need on there and could do without, especially since the rifle will already be getting rather heavy as is.

So you can mount 0 MOA one piece mounts and rings backwards unless there's some specific reason you can't. I really like Badger and their Condition One looks like the titties but the mounting nuts are HUGE. Certainly SCAR solid though. Nightforce Magmount is an option, the issue mount and supposedly designed for the SCAR program is an ADM QD Delta mount but there's an NSN number for the fixed mount model too. Of all the ones I've found, it looks like the ADM Delta has the smallest profile for the mounting nuts. It can also be turned around if need be. Whatever it takes to keep your knuckle meat.

right or left handed levers, smooth on the charging handle side.
self indexing press fit before you clamp it.
superior return to zero if you swap for a reflex sight for different situations.
made in the usa by a small company.

I had a SCAR 17 and sold it off and bought a Robinson XCR-M and have not looked back. My 17 destroyed my Razor HD G2 1-6 in about 1200 rounds.

I had a SCAR 17 and sold it off and bought a Robinson XCR-M and have not looked back. My 17 destroyed my Razor HD G2 1-6 in about 1200 rounds.
I thought the 1-6 was hardened. I wonder how my 1-10 will do over time. Maybe the Schmidt 5-20 I’m planning on putting on there isn’t a hot idea.

I was surprised at how fast it took my scope down. In the end I could not really find any redeeming qualities about the gun. My XCR shoots better and does not eat optics. It was also 900.00 cheaper than the SCAR.

The 6.5 scar mrex mk2 changed the feel of the gun entirely for me. Easier to shoot in a modern stance and enough forend to make a bipod able to fit and still shoot off improvised positions. Look for them used around 180-200

Strykervet is on point with the blue force gear attachments.

I don't necessarily want a foregrip bipod. I have just seen a few around that are both, so thought I'd mention it and see if anyone knew of a good one that was a combo (I figured a combo one would probably not be as good as just a foregrip). Truthfully the bipod is not something I need on there and could do without, especially since the rifle will already be getting rather heavy as is.

Foregrip bipods were used in the field. If you do go with one be very aware of counterfeit knock off's, i.e. don't get them on eBay.

Try this:

I am no SCAR expert, so do your own research... that said, regarding optics on the SCAR I recall reading that many of the scope failures were mounted using two separated rings. One piece mounts are recommended.

Reactions: Texascbr
How do you like it? Worth the $2k? What mount you use?
It’s an awesome scope. I think it’s the lvpo others should be measured to. I haven’t played with the S&B short dot though.

I thought it would be a replacement for the Razor 1-6 but each has different pluses.

I have my 1-10 mounted on a GDI P-Rom.

Reactions: black max
I am no SCAR expert, so do your own research... that said, regarding optics on the SCAR I recall reading that many of the scope failures were mounted using two separated rings. One piece mounts are recommended.
Rings are fine as long as they are of good quality and inline.

Some issues were found when people tried to run 20 MOA mounts as well as cantilever mounts...

You always want to run a 0 MOA mount with a traditional optic and only use a cantilever mount IF it as a built in backbone like Leupold Mark 6 IMS or Geissele...

Having "scoped" out a lot of the recommendations here I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on some purchases. Is there a preferred place that someone would recommend for purchasing (price and customer service)? Is optics planet a highly regarded seller?

Thank you all for the input! Greatly appreciated

Have any of y'all shot yours left handed? How was it with gas and brass?

I did not see this forum listed. I’ve been a member for 7 or so years.

fnforum.net/forums/

set up a account so you can use it to full advantage.
1,000’s of pages on SCARs

Reactions: Hoax001
Have any of y'all shot yours left handed? How was it with gas and brass?
I shoot left-handed. My 17 isn’t suppressed.
I have no issues with gas or brass in my face.

Geissele Super scar trigger
NXS 2.5-10x24
magpul miad trigger
sandman keymo brake
shadowtech mlok arca adapter
3 PMM mlok rails
BCM KAG

fnforum.net/forums/

what's your forum name over there? i send folks here when they ask about optics and long range help for the 20S.

fnforum.net/forums/

Bad forum. Rather I should say, a disappointing one.

Bad forum. Rather I should say, a disappointing one.
i don't use a lot of brand specific forums, and i expect it may be similar to others but i don't know.
it is much more about their handguns and purchase confirmation, but there is some good info on parts and that sort of thing.

Here is what I did to my 17S, so far:

Case Club SCAR17S carrying case (Amazon)
Trijicon ACOG TA11E (Midway)
GG&G charging handle (optics planet)
Scarmorer – scar folding multi-tool (shooting sight)
FNH USA sling (HDD tactical)
Spare mags (brownells)
SilencerCo Omega 300 Suppressor (Silencer Shop)
Geissele trigger (Brownells)

American defense manufacturing makes a nice mount they designed specifically for the SCAR 17. I have one and love it. First accessory i would buy is the geissele super scar trigger. It is the best upgrade you can make to the scar.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Scar is a money sucker
To get mine where I wanted I did the following in order of importance:
G trigger
Mrex rail
Kdg stock
Magpul grip
Charging handle
And surefire muzzle for suppressor use

One of my older scars had a seal lower, I had to get rid of that lower, because while it looked nice, I was starting to have intermittent feeding issues which I never had before

I’ve run half a dozen optics on the scar and I like to get mine light, so acog rmr was the keeper

Here is my Scar 17 with 1-10 Gen 3 I am using a adm mount. Have not had any problems

SR25 Lower
Upgraded Comp
Gieselle Trigger
Razor Gen 3 1-10
Magpul Bipods
Upgraded Charging Handle

9648410C-BDAE-49E8-AD6B-EF530FABD90D.jpeg

Reactions: theLBC and E-Tool
So I am going to update so far what I have done. A couple more tidbits left I think, but it's coming along.

Done so far:

Geissele trigger
Vortex razor Gen iii 1-10 scope
Scalarworks mount
Grip pod bipod / foregrip
Mototech 3 select gas regulator
IWC qd sling mounts
SOLGW Nox flash hider

The missing tidbits:

Deeadair silencer (this will be a long time coming...)
Laser/light combo (don't know which the scar won't break down)
Sling (leaning heavily towards an Armageddon gear sling)
And possibly a new and more comfortable pistol grip

Did I miss anything major?

Last edited:
How is the gen 3 doing on the scar?

I’ve been tempted but not. huge fan of the reticle.