• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SCAR 17S Optic Choice

ADT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Central Texas
I'm looking for some insight on an optic for a SCAR MK17. It will be used for deer, hog, and coyote hunting, run and gun, and just a fun gun. Thanks, ADT.

Re: SCAR 17S Optic Choice

I had a NXS 2.5-10 and currently have a 1.8-10, so I can offer you insight on both of those cartridges. I also had a SCAR 16s, and I would say that a 10x optic would be overkill on that platform, unless the trigger pull is not an issue for you (it definitely was a limiting factor for me.)

The NXS is a nice scope, I just prefer FFP and couldn't get used to the SFP. Get a thicker reticle if you go that route- I went with a NP-R2 and it was too thin. As for the USO, it is a really nice optic, but a bit on the heavy side. I vote ACOG because of the weight and the speed.

10x is not overkill if you're hunting for coyotes and nice to have for hogs if you're going for a head shot. The NF and USO cover all the bases.

I'm watching this one because I just bought a SCAR Heavy and I'm looking for a scope. I was thinking USO 1.5-6, but weight is an issue as it is with the IOR which is an option if you can put up with the potential problems you might have.

I wish Trijicon would take the Accupoint and make it battle ready and have a 1-6X model. Although I've heard that Accupoints are sometimes used in action now. I love the fact that they have no batteries, and that they are realtively light. Of course if they make it battle ready it might end up being heavier.

The ACOG is very nice, but I don't care for fixed optics, so I'd have to add a red-dot, but that is not optimal either. It would be cool if Trijicon built the Acog in variable, or built the ACOG housing with the red-dot built in and protected.

To me a 1-8X would be perfect, like the new Short Dot, but I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of money for a scope as I could buy a second SCAR and a cheaper scope for about a $1000 more.

So, I'll watch to see if a clear winner emerges, BTW I voted for the USO sn-4 1.5-6x.

CHEERS--

I vote for anything with a max magnification over 4x on a .308 rifle. For me target identification is too slow at distances greater than 500yds with a 4x. I'd go with the nxs in 2.5 to 10x.

agree with others, something like a 1.5-6x42 ill ret is about ideal

I am testing 2 on my 6.8 I use for hunting
S&B with flashdot 9
Kahles with circle dot reticle

both are great scopes
the Kahles is about a 1/4lb lighter and the glass between the two is very, very comparable

I'd suggest a NF 2.5-10x24 -- I know several folks that are happy with it on that very rifle..

Kevin

Like this:

mk17sht.jpg

I think the NF 2-10X is a great choice. I will throw out the IOR Spartan 2-12x as another choice. I have one on my pof308 and love it.

Depends how you want to employ it. I think that the best option for it is a short dot 1-8x, but those are friggin' expensive. Short of that, I personally was planning on getting one as a battle rifle configuration with a Weaver Tactical 1-5x or the USO SN-4 1.5-6x. Something that was in keeping with the platform for very low end magnification with a moderate upper end magnification.

i'm also trying to select a scope for my SCAR 17s.

i've been considering the NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1.

any reason not to go with that? i like the 15x for those 500 yard shots and the F1 seems to nice fast way to get on target quickly.

right now, that's my first choice - i can't think of any reason not to go with it - i'd appreciate any feedback.

i'm also trying to select a scope for my SCAR 17s.

i've been considering the NXS 3.5-15 x 50 F1.

any reason not to go with that? i like the 15x for those 500 yard shots and the F1 seems to nice fast way to get on target quickly.

right now, that's my first choice - i can't think of any reason not to go with it - i'd appreciate any feedback.

Ditto. Need a reasonable scope for my SCAR 17. Is the NF 2.5-10 still the go to optic? Seems like a tough optic and I love my NF-F1. I'm not crazy about the fact that the 2.5-10 is SFP only though.