• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 20S in comp??

CageFighter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
North NJ
Any shooters using a SCAR 20S in the Geissele, 3Gun or any other matches? Any feedback? What optics are you running? Any other mods done to ur stick?

Last edited:
I saw a couple of them at the Peacemaker DMR match. They were not in my squad and don’t know how they did.

Reactions: CageFighter
I’ll be there. Not sure if shooting or ROing but I’ll look for a SCAR.

I use it in PRS. Running a Vortex PST gen 2 in a Spuhr mount. Love the gun. I am changing out the flash hider for a brake.

Could you elaborate on why?
Thanks

The one I shot was easily the most abusive semiauto 308 I have ever shot in terms of recoil. It just plain sucked to shoot. The cheek riser beat the shit out of my cheek, the recoil pushed me all over the place, and even felt recoil in my shoulder was unpleasant. I'd take any decent AR-10 over a 308 SCAR any day.

Reactions: LeadZeke
The one I shot was easily the most abusive semiauto 308 I have ever shot in terms of recoil. It just plain sucked to shoot. The cheek riser beat the shit out of my cheek, the recoil pushed me all over the place, and even felt recoil in my shoulder was unpleasant. I'd take any decent AR-10 over a 308 SCAR any day.

lol, that's odd, or maybe the Scar 20S is significantly different than the rifle you shot, or maybe you shot one without a brake.
i say this only because it seems tame to me, and this little girl didn't have any issues with it on her first try.

if you want to feel real recoil, you can shoot my Winchester Model 88 .308 lever gun.

I had a very similar experience. If you put a good brake on it isn't bad, but you can say that for just about any firearm. The AR10 when properly setup is just softer.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
lol, that's odd, or maybe the Scar 20S is significantly different than the rifle you shot, or maybe you shot one without a brake.
i say this only because it seems tame to me, and this little girl didn't have any issues with it on her first try.

if you want to feel real recoil, you can shoot my Winchester Model 88 .308 lever gun.

The one i shot has a PWS comp on it, if memory serves, and we were shooting 175gr issued ammo. The biggest issues with the one I shot were just how jarring the cycling was, and the cheek riser beating the hell out of my face. Since it wasn't my rifle, I also didn't try to adjust it to fit me, so that may have been part of the problem.

If I want to feel recoil, I will go shoot my buddy's .50BMG bolt gun, or take the brake off my SAUM.

Reactions: theLBC
The one i shot has a PWS comp on it, if memory serves, and we were shooting 175gr issued ammo. The biggest issues with the one I shot were just how jarring the cycling was, and the cheek riser beating the hell out of my face. Since it wasn't my rifle, I also didn't try to adjust it to fit me, so that may have been part of the problem.

If I want to feel recoil, I will go shoot my buddy's .50BMG bolt gun, or take the brake off my SAUM.

haha, you got me on that one. :D

haha, you got me on that one. :D

The shoulder recoil on the SCAR was more a case of "this shouldn't have this much recoil" and not "ow this hurts" recoil. It was definitely a lot more noticable than even a decently tuned AR-10, much less one that's really dialed in (Seekins, GAP, etc).

The shoulder recoil on the SCAR was more a case of "this shouldn't have this much recoil" and not "ow this hurts" recoil. It was definitely a lot more noticable than even a decently tuned AR-10, much less one that's really dialed in (Seekins, GAP, etc).

i was comparing to another .308, but i am envious of you having a chance to shoot that .50!

i might be less sensitive since i don't shoot a lot of small caliber rifles unless i am with buddies at the range,
still, some Scar shooters are running smaller gas jets to lower the recoil on the Scar (like people tune their ARs) so there are remedies to the out of the box recoil if you prefer something that shoots softer, rather than something configured to work no matter what ammo you feed it, under almost any conditions. it is not a purpose built soft shooting large caliber target gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitchell_604
The MK20 is a little overgassed especially when run suppressed. The butt pad also seems like it is designed to cause maximum pain when fired. Other than that it has shot pretty well for me. I know that if you got a better buttpad and changed the gas jet it would shoot beautifully.

i was comparing to another .308, but i am envious of you having a chance to shoot that .50!

i might be less sensitive since i don't shoot a lot of small caliber rifles unless i am with buddies at the range,
still, some Scar shooters are running smaller gas jets to lower the recoil on the Scar (like people tune their ARs) so there are remedies to the out of the box recoil if you prefer something that shoots softer, rather than something configured to work no matter what ammo you feed it, under almost any conditions. it is not a purpose built soft shooting large caliber target gun.

I haven't actually shot his .50BMG bolt gun (I'm not even sure when HE even shot it last), but I have shot his Sharps and his transferrable M2HB. I've also shot an M82 and issued M107, plus plenty of other thumpers over the years. Recoil doesn't really bother me (I think 12ga slugs are fun and cute), but the SCAR just wasn't pleasant to shoot. I'm sure it can be tuned better for competitive shooting, but the one I got to play with wasn't, so it's the only basis for comparison I have.

I haven't actually shot his .50BMG bolt gun (I'm not even sure when HE even shot it last), but I have shot his Sharps and his transferrable M2HB. I've also shot an M82 and issued M107, plus plenty of other thumpers over the years. Recoil doesn't really bother me (I think 12ga slugs are fun and cute), but the SCAR just wasn't pleasant to shoot. I'm sure it can be tuned better for competitive shooting, but the one I got to play with wasn't, so it's the only basis for comparison I have.

thanks! maybe someday for that bmg :)

i guess it is all relative or subjective. Lots of shooters feel differently.

i think i am a bit sensitive because some folks (not necessarily you) like to go out of their way to bash on a platform they don't run.

while i am not competing, i think it is noble to take what is basically a battle rifle into competition with target rifles i would not want to rely on in a SHTF situation or zombie invasion :p

thanks! maybe someday for that bmg :)

i guess it is all relative or subjective. Lots of shooters feel differently.

i think i am a bit sensitive because some folks (not necessarily you) like to go out of their way to bash on a platform they don't run.

while i am not competing, i think it is noble to take what is basically a battle rifle into competition with target rifles i would not want to rely on in a SHTF situation or zombie invasion :p

Based on the ones I have played with, you can definitely get a gas gun that would be worth taking to a gas gun only match AND is still reliable as hell. I've seen it done with a few Seekins and GAP builds, especially in 308. Personally, I will stick to 5.56 in my gassers, though.