• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar 20S- range report

hitman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2004
Tampa, FL
I did a few searches and cannot seem to find people with them. Anyone have one and what do you think of it? I seen one last week and it is pretty awesome but a heavy SOB! I do not mind rifles like that since it is not made for running around with but it is a factor. The bolt cycles so smooth!

I’m not trying to offload any of my current hardware to get one, but it sure is a nice looking rifle. Just haven’t found much information on performance as of yet.

I have scar 17 but not going to get the 20. Would be. A more accurate longer range scar to have

There are a few articles on them online and seems to be around 3/4 moa shooter with factory ammo, which is good for that platform. Maybe not enough around yet to have more reviews.

I’ve circled the 17 for years now but can’t pull the trigger so to speak as it just seems overpriced. The 20s seems to me to be a better deal, may pick one up when they get into circulation more (if that is possible given FN seems to like restricting supply to keep prices high).

I’ve circled the 17 for years now but can’t pull the trigger so to speak as it just seems overpriced. The 20s seems to me to be a better deal, may pick one up when they get into circulation more (if that is possible given FN seems to like restricting supply to keep prices high).
Yep they love doing that.

Yep they love doing that.

That’s why I’m interested in the Bren 2. CZ has their odd production schedule but they at least supply the market pretty well. I really wanted to get my hands on one at SHOT last week but they didn’t have any.

That’s why I’m interested in the Bren 2. CZ has their odd production schedule but they at least supply the market pretty well. I really wanted to get my hands on one at SHOT last week but they didn’t have any.
I absolutely love my CZ 557 UCS. This particular rifle is one of the few offerings from CZ that seems somewhat difficult to find. Everything else seems readily available to include the Dan Wesson lineup.

I have a 20 and used to own a 17. I love the gun but have been so busy with work this month I have not had a chance to take it out much.

Sharps- I picked up a bren 2 in 5.56 11 1/2" barrel. I think I am getting it next week.

I shoot both scar 20 and 17 and also get together compare with MR762. I love scar 20 and then MR762. No doubt to buy a Scar 20. Scar 20 is way better than Scar 17(Work as DMR)

I finally got mine scoped this weekend and its a shooter. Got it on paper with some ZQI ball and the broke out the FGMM. Groups better than my 17S for sure.

Awesome! It seems the reports are all that it is around a 3/4 moa shooter which I will be happy with for sure.

My friend just snatched one for $3600
i have been trying to have him bring it out to range, would love to get my hands on it too. (y)

I shoot both scar 20 and 17 and also get together compare with MR762. I love scar 20 and then MR762. No doubt to buy a Scar 20. Scar 20 is way better than Scar 17(Work as DMR)

How would you compare the 20s and MR762? Which is your favorite?

The MR762 is a fine rifle, but a pig compared to the 17S. My MR762 was an accurate stick but, like the 17S, required an upgraded trigger and was heavier. I shed no tears selling the MR762 for the 17S and now own a 20S. It's still new in box so I can't comment on use and results but there are quite a few write up out there on the rifle. If you already own a 17S I think it makes a great long distance bench gun to complement the 16" barreled 17S.

Reactions: cobra655
1moa gun. M118LR.

Attachments

• 03CC9601-F637-4477-B8BF-2A9D593D2C5F.jpeg
    03CC9601-F637-4477-B8BF-2A9D593D2C5F.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 356
  • Love
Reactions: 762by51
Love my SCAR 20! Expensive yes, but I have no regrets. I've had bad luck with AR-10's in the past, so I was worried I would end up with a $4k rifle that shot 2 moa. My first three round group after zeroing the rifle was .75" with FGMM 168. After that I got first round hits out to 800 on 12" plates. Took me five shots to hit a 12" plate at 1000 yards. I think it will do much better at 1000 yds after I true the muzzle velocity. Overall, the rifle easily exceeds the minimum expectations I had when I purchased it (y)

Here's a video

(yes, the bipod is attached backwards)

I have the 17 and love it. If I didn’t have the 17, still not sure if I’d go for a 20 at that price. Hell, when I got the 17 for 2600 I still thought that was a lot. Only real changes I made was the Geiselle trigger and an ACOG. It’s one of my top three pieces. That said, I wouldn’t mind trying a friends 20 out. Might make me reconsider.

That's awesome! I should get mine in about a month. I am happy to hear that it likes FGMM- both my LMT and my tikka loves it as well. That keeps the ammo selection easy!

I have the 17 and love it. If I didn’t have the 17, still not sure if I’d go for a 20 at that price. Hell, when I got the 17 for 2600 I still thought that was a lot. Only real changes I made was the Geiselle trigger and an ACOG. It’s one of my top three pieces. That said, I wouldn’t mind trying a friends 20 out. Might make me reconsider.

Same, I thought $2400 for my SCAR 16 was a lot at the time haha

Don’t shoot the 20 if you get the chance because it will definitely make you want one! Getting two shots off before the impact sound makes it back to you is purely addicting! Haha

Reactions: Keel Haul
That's awesome! I should get mine in about a month. I am happy to hear that it likes FGMM- both my LMT and my tikka loves it as well. That keeps the ammo selection easy!

Yeah I am really glad it likes the FGMM too, you can find it easily for $0.90/round and I’ve always had good consistency between batches with it.

I haven’t tried any other types of ammo yet, and probably won’t unless I get the urge to go hunting with this rifle haha

It shipped out today and I should have it in my hands on Wed. I am planning on getting it out on Friday and testing some different rds. I will post some pics and an update then.

Ok- I am officially hooked on the SCAR 20!!! I have never owned a scar but have owned many high end semis from JPs to GAP to customs etc.. and this thing is better to me than any of them. That is saying a lot I know but there is something about this rifle that is amazing. It cycles smoother than an AR-10 type rifle. Even with just the flash supp. on it- it shoots more smooth than any large frame I recall shooting. SO- the good stuff. It printed a few 1/2" groups! The pic below is a 5 rd group @ 100 yds off a bipod with Remington 168 Match. The other group that is larger is Cooper Creek 175's. That one flyer was me- I felt it when I did it. I got too excited and rushed! I did not have any more of the Cooper Creek or I would have shoot more groups with it. It did not care for the Prime 175's at all. The Remington Match ammo was the best. I brought several other kinds of factory ammo but stopped there to just play with some cheaper ammo and have fun. Plus, with groups like that there is no reason to even bother trying to find a better factory load. In all, even though it was the first day with it I love it and decided to get rid of the AR-10 I just had built! I am really weird and when I find a gun I like I always buy two of the same rifle. So, call me silly but I will likely grab another one!

Last edited:
Yeh SWFA 3.5-15 for now until I upgrade it to the NF ATACR 4-16. It is decent enough for now. But I definitely want the NF for this rifle.
Nice in the same boat on my 3 gun rifle runner a sweet Athlon Midas BTR 1-6x24 with the new hotness 3 gun reticle, but prepping to upgrade to a Leupold MK6 with a CMR 5.56. This scope seems to work well this far I’ll be running it in its first match on Saturday.

I acquired the SCAR 20 in February.

Weather here has been crappy and been hectic work schedule. Just purchased a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 with CCH reticle this weekend and have a LaRue 745 mount with 20MOA on way. Hoping to get to the range this weekend to dial her in.

Next optic will be the NF ATACR 4-16x42 and most likely put this Leupold on my DD5V1.

Very nice! You are going to love it! This is my first FN and I am very impressed with it. That scope should be great on there. I am leaning towards the ATCR as well though.

Reactions: Shootingblanks
I have been sitting on the fence on the -20, as do I really need another 7.62 semi, but after reading and watching here, looks like I am going to fall off on the expensive side this year. This site really does spend chunks of my hide, but they all have been worth it.

You will not regret it at all. I debated a GAP and the JP for awhile and then decided to go out on a limb try this instead. I know they are not the same animal, so to speak, so maybe it is not a comparison, but they fit the same role- semi auto .308's. I am very happy with my choice and I know a lot of JP guys think I am nuts I am sure! But after reading tons of reviews and how they hold up I was sold. The barrels seem to last damn near forever and are easy to change yourself in a few minutes. Plus the platform is amazingly durable. People report over 100K rds through them with very minor wear. Watch some of the stuff on Battle Field Vegas if you have not. The interview with one of the armorers is good. He said it has the least issues of any rifle out there. I am not a FN fan either- I used to think the SCARS were not my cup of tea, but that is before really knowing much about them.

Hitman, I really didn't need to read this, but thanks, I'm sold. I will be settling an inheritance this year, so can swing it, sounds like a rock solid investment anyway. I like FN's, hell, the most beautiful rifle I have is a Sako action-ed FN Browing Safari .243 Heavy Barrel that ended up with a piece of wood that was probably in line for an Olympian, but reading how FN made them back then, the original blank for my Safari must have had a problem, and FN would just use the next blank, no matter what. No fancy checkering or fore end option, but the wood is 3-D stunning!

Speaking of this, I wonder how far I could push this .243? I don't know the rate of twist, time for some research! She's been a Safe Queen for a long, long, time.

This is also my first SCAR. I looked at a FDE SCAR 17 a week earlier and was going to pull the trigger on it. When I called the gun shop it had sold. Wasn't meant to be and I ended up with a 20 instead, which after all I am glad. The 20s comes standard with Geissele trigger on it, which the 17 is gritty stock. My next firearm purchase will most likely be the 17 in FDE, just to have it, with no intentions of getting the 16. Then like to acquire a 50 cal and 338 Lapua.

I may get the 17 as well. Yeh I probably will not get the 16 either, I have too many AR's to justify it.

With M118LR a good average accuracy expectation of the MK20 is about 3/4 MOA. Some guns do better, some do worse.
I will say that the SCAR 17 is accurate enough that most guys taking it down range are running either the 1-6 Elcan on it or the other favorite for us was the 3-15 Nightforce or Leupold with Horus reticle.
I have a friend who smoked a dude at 800m (he had a PLRF 15C, so it is an actual range) right in the chin. 2nd shot. His first was off by windage only. The guy was peeking over a roof parapet. He was using a 13” SCAR H. So the factory scar is already pretty awesome, but it definitely gives up something to the MK20 in sustained fire scenarios. The 20 has a beefed up barrel mounting section as well (3 screws instead of 2). Jacob at RO has confirmed the superiority of the MK20 in sustained fire as well by what he has seen.

My 20S loves Federal Gold Medal Match 175 grain. It is really a 1/2" gun when I do my part.