• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR 308 16" or REPR 16"

GUNENTHUSIAST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
SE PA
I can't decide between a 16 " SCAR 308 or a 16" REPR. I like the fact that the SCAR has a folding stock and It's modular. I think the REPR is a little more accurate though.
It will be shot with a suppressor and a USO SN4. I already have long range 308s, I want the rapid fire capability and shorter barrel maneuverability with acceptable accuracy (close to MOA) out to 600 yards.

Advice please!

Re: SCAR 308 16" or REPR 16"

SCAR
smile.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the REPR is sub-MOA capable, right? If it is, the SCAR SSR (Mk20) is the comparable weapon system.
Either way, the SCAR would be my suggestion. The SCAR-17S was built from the ground-up as a piston system, while the REPR is essentially an AR that was modified for piston use. Because of this, I put more faith in the durability and reliability of the SCAR. Further, changing the barrels later on is much easier.
SOCOM wants the Mk17 for a reason.

I'd love to have a scar, alot of versatility with it, the stock is awesome can pretty much run any mag with it and soon you will be able to change the barrel out for the 6.8 SPC

Go POF. Rock barrel and more accurate than the ones listed.

-dan

Scar 17. After handling both the Scar and the REPR, I fell in love with the Scar. The weight feels almost like an AR, and shooting it you would think it's a .223. The REPR was a clunker in comparison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd read through this one first: Is the FNH SCAR 17 Worth IT?

Of those two, my vote goes REPR. I also recommend considering the POF if you haven't already. </div></div>

Make sure the guys that say it's not worth it actually own one first.

While I dont own an REPR, an have to admit they look sweet, I think Id rather have a GAP or APA DPMS and save the rest for good glass for another AR10 platform.

The SCAR is very light and the lack of recoil is nothing short of amazing ( and I dont use the factory brake) and it is surprisingly accurate, but thats just my opinion from a SCAR owner.

Heris what I would do: Buy the one you are leaning toward and if it is not everything you wanted, then sell it and buy the other. I cant see you lose much if any of your investment on either one of these two rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go POF. Rock barrel and more accurate than the ones listed.

-dan </div></div>

I have not found that to be the case, my REPR is more accurate than my POF and doesn't vertical string after 30 rounds or so like my POF does.

Based on your purpose for this rifle, I would choose the SCAR 17S. It is lighter, and has little recoil.

thats hard, both great choices i have had awesome customer service experiences with LWRC. not so much with the SCAR, but for your battle rifle purposes the scar is a good choice too. read through that thread, offers a couple things to think about. I have some complaints on the system but it has a LOT of positives too. AND I OWN ONE and use one at work so i can talk
wink.gif
beenjammin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNENTHUSIAST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It will be shot with a suppressor and a USO SN4 ... I want the rapid fire capability and shorter barrel maneuverability with acceptable accuracy (close to MOA) out to 600 yards.

Advice please! </div></div>

Have you seen the new MK14 CQB 16 type SEI?