• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR MK20S Limited Release

Blackjack988

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Woodbridge, NJ
Anyone see this posted recently? Looks like they're actually coming this time...maybe:

http://www.recoilweb.com/fn-to-release-limited-edition-scar-20s-kits-142572.html#ixzz5ShJNvucq
https://fnamerica.com/wp-content/up...imited_Edition_sellsheets_with_order_form.pdf

Limited to 200 at $5,499 with what seems to be a pretty stocked kit. Doubt they'll last long but is anyone considering one or have any experience with one? I wasn't terribly impressed when handling one at SHOT compared to the SR25 but haven't shot one.

Reactions: jLorenzo
Yeah, I talked to FN about this when I was looking at a 7.62 semi and decided on SR25 and went directly through KAC. FN said it would be out in a few months, January, and this was in summer of 2016, maybe 15 I think. Obama had fucked something up and things were hard to get. Glad I just went with the 20" keymod SR25, it's an amazing rifle and an amazing deal since I got it direct with all sorts of extras.

FN also told me it would be closer to $3800, not $5500! For a 1.5MOA rifle. Glad I didn't wait on it. My SR cost a less than that and it came with ten mags, cleaning kit, bolt repair kit, extra keymod parts, another keymod tube and also all the other stuff they come with. All of it very nice. Best rifle like that for the price for sure.

Reactions: Ripdog28
I liked the Mk20 quite a bit, I worked with one in 2012 and I’d compare it to the SR25/M110 in the accuracy department. Over all I preferred it over the SR25/M110 due to the balance and feel, better issued optics and suppressors. Wasn’t to hot about the mags though they worked. Those that say it s just a Mk17 with a longer barrel and new stock are a little off the mark. Is it worth what FN is asking? Well yeah it’s bit overpriced, I mean the whole kits not too bad but definitely not made up components I’d use. Ultimately it boils to this...show me anywhere else you can buy a Mk20.

I agree at this point it just looks cool. But i drank the coolaid...
I have to agree, Ive not always been a fan of the SCAR but for some reason this one looks a lot better (probably the longer handguard... like bacon bits longer handguard always seems to look better).
What are accuracy expectations? Im in LE and I still dont know anyone who owns any scars to get a gauge off of.

I figure with how slow FN was to get this. We wont see these orders until next year and the will see how well these do before putting them into production which might be even later. When regular SCARs are 3k+ bare. This at least comes with some perks like the trigger, bipod, case, oh and a nice collectors coin too!! :) I honestly thought it would be more then 5500.

HDD is doing those barrel conversions so I know other barrels/calibers can be done. We have/had a SCAR here int he classified with 20" barrel. HDD has spare barrel adapters so why not rebarrel this bad boy and keep the factory barrel. Would be a sweet little 6.5CM.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/fn-scar-17-dmr-20-fluted-barrel.6898182/#post-7254611

I inquired to FN LE customer support about the gun here is the response i got:

This is a Limited Edition Kit.

The highly-anticipated release of the FN SCAR 20S rifle is coming Nov. 6. More information will be provided via press release on that date.

We have not sold all 200 Limited Edition Kits yet and do not have a number of how many are left. Submitted orders will start to be processed in about two weeks, which is when the kits will begin to ship."

So.... am I correct that this plans to be a current production rifle?

Pics of the rifle look badass and I've wanted one since they listed the rig as mil only when I was buying a couple SCAR16s. This led to me being on the prowl for a 7.62 20" barreled rifle with gas piston system and I landed on the LWRC REPR. I didn't buy the gen 1 because i wound up overseas. Back in the states now and they've got a Gen 2 at a lot less than the SCAR Mk20 package or a KAC SR25. Personally I love the SCAR concept and the side charging handle (which the REPR gen 2 has), but wonder what else I'm missing between the LWRC and aforementioned rifles. For the price difference, I could put some decent glass and accessories on the LWRC if performance isn't wildly different. If I remember correctly, LWRC are claiming sub-MOA and a heavy barrel.

Disclaimers-I'm not try to steal the thread and I've yet to handle any of the three mentioned so am very interested in experiences.

You could build three AR10s that would be more accurate with less recoil for that price. Or two that would be more accurate, with less recoil, and lighter. Outside of bragging rights and fun, I'm not sure why anyone would spend that kind of money on this firearm.

You could build three AR10s that would be more accurate with less recoil for that price. Or two that would be more accurate, with less recoil, and lighter. Outside of bragging rights and fun, I'm not sure why anyone would spend that kind of money on this firearm.
one certainly could and its a valid point brought up in any thread where a firearm is expensive.
now.... shoot a mag through those and try to resale. hell dont shoot a mag through them, built rifle is worth half right off the bat.
i bet you could run thousands rounds through one of these 200 scars and get your money back.
im not saying i dont agree w/ you either, but imo you cant lose buying one of these.
ive been jonesing for one of these for a long time. i hope after this initial offereing they start coming in w/out all the extras for 4500 or so...

Reactions: Henok
Well you can say the same about many of the rifles we all love. AI, GAP, Tac Ops. Sure you can can build up for less but thats not what we want.

Now, if a production SCAR 20s does come out shortly there after for 4500, Ill wish i had waited since I dont really care about the fluff either. Its always a gamble with these. I remember when the 17S first came out. We all remember the insane prices of those. Sometimes we are willing to pay more to insure we get one.

Yeah, that seems a little optimistic lol.
I don't know if there has been a scar sold under msrp in history
Eh? My 16S was $2100 and my 17S nearer to $2700; both new from dealers.

Eh? My 16S was $2100 and my 17S nearer to $2700; both new from dealers.

I have seen a few for around $3200 but most of the new ones seem to be going for $3500 or more right now.

Just called FN. Asked them about individual Active Duty military discounts. Unfortunately, the discount won't apply to this limited edition package.

For you who are LEO or AD, it might be better to just wait until the 20s comes out, and then get one at the LEO/AD discount.

R,
jmw

Have you done a side-by-side comparison of the AR-10 and SCAR H?

The price is expensive for the SCAR, but FN also carries a lot of credibility and cache in the firearms industry. And I haven't heard any significant complaints about its service record with the LEO and military communities.

Yes, and actually there have been a bunch of complaints. Compared to any quality AR10 it is simply an inferior tool. Not bad, just not as good in almost all meaningful metrics, period.

And buying rifles for resale is general a poor investment as has been beaten to death here many times. If you want it for fun, for cool, or just to have whatever. I'm just making statements about pure performance.

Look, I don't want to derail this thread. But we are talking about pricing, so how exactly would it not be?

Can the SCAR be <.9moa, much less .5moa consistently? No, but a quality AR10 can be.

Can the SCAR be <7lbs, much less <4lbs? No, but a quality AR10 build can be.

Can the SCAR use an AGB to tune for minimal recoil, muzzle movement, noise, and gas to the shooter? No, but a quality AR10 can be.

Can the SCAR run any old suppressor and not have the warranty voided? No, but a quality AR10 can. And speaking of, the AR10 will also be quieter to the shooter when using said AGB.

Not to mention the issues with breaking optics, minimal aftermarket, and so on.

There is basically only one thing the SCAR does better, and that is shoot while folded, which is such a tiny niche case (especially with the H) that it isn't really worth mentioning.

Again, nothing wrong with a SCAR H, and it will outperform most mid-tier AR10s no doubt. But it won't touch a proper AR10 build in terms of performance, so why pay 2-3x the price for it? For the reasons mentioned above only I'd hope.

Reactions: AMGtuned
potss i cant believe scar even exists!

i read there are 6,000 of these. 5800 regular ones to be released.
wonder if surefire would do another run of the sv mounts and suppressors?

Pots since you brought it up. Can you or anyone explain the whole SCAR breaking optics phenomena. I have read this on other forums and cannt get a definite explanation that makes any reasonable sense. Where is the additional scope breaking forces coming from and how are they being applied? I need help understanding cause I just don’t get it. I read something about G forces?? And recoil impulse... can’t sell me on those reasons. I have used low end vortex and high end Schmidt’s on mine over the years without an issue.

Pots since you brought it up. Can you or anyone explain the whole SCAR breaking optics phenomena. I have read this on other forums and cannt get a definite explanation that makes any reasonable sense. Where is the additional scope breaking forces coming from and how are they being applied? I need help understanding cause I just don’t get it. I read something about G forces?? And recoil impulse... can’t sell me on those reasons. I have used low end vortex and high end Schmidt’s on mine over the years without an issue.

It is caused by the heavy reciprocating mass on the SCAR, and it is not isolated to just the SCAR. All large frame AR's are tougher on optics, but the SCAR is particularly tough because of the heavier mass.

What's going on is the dual recoil impulse, particularly the forward recoil impulse from the carrier slamming home. That's why a spring piston air gun can break a scope that will hold up on a 50 BMG. Scopes that are not reinforced for forward recoil impulse will fail quickly. Think of it as like an impact wrench that delivers small blows which can loosen up things that are stuck.
The thin receiver also oscillates magnifying the vibrations.

Reactions: Potss
So it’s a shock vibration from the bolt carrier smacking the rear? So you are saying this force is transferring through the reciever to the rings/mount and into the scope internals causing failure? What does this compromise inside the optic? I would think that the old HK roller lock rifles would be worse but don’t remember such issues. I know some of the later designs from hk had better recoil buffers in the buttstocks.

Look, I don't want to derail this thread. But we are talking about pricing, so how exactly would it not be?

Can the SCAR be <.9moa, much less .5moa consistently? No, but a quality AR10 can be.

Can the SCAR be <7lbs, much less <4lbs? No, but a quality AR10 build can be.

Can the SCAR use an AGB to tune for minimal recoil, muzzle movement, noise, and gas to the shooter? No, but a quality AR10 can be.

Can the SCAR run any old suppressor and not have the warranty voided? No, but a quality AR10 can. And speaking of, the AR10 will also be quieter to the shooter when using said AGB.

Not to mention the issues with breaking optics, minimal aftermarket, and so on.

There is basically only one thing the SCAR does better, and that is shoot while folded, which is such a tiny niche case (especially with the H) that it isn't really worth mentioning.

Again, nothing wrong with a SCAR H, and it will outperform most mid-tier AR10s no doubt. But it won't touch a proper AR10 build in terms of performance, so why pay 2-3x the price for it? For the reasons mentioned above only I'd hope.

I think you're a bit biased here. Have you even done side-by-side comparisons? If so, how many rounds did you fire through each weapon and in what kind of conditions. Also, which factory-produced AR-10 consistently produces less than .5 MOA?

The SCAR has plenty of real-world credibility, suppressed, unsupressed, semi-auto and full auto. I'm not sure by what standard you're making the the claim (arguably a very subjective one) that a quality AR-10 will "outperform" the SCAR. The SCAR was the direct result of SOCOM wanting a new family of infantry rifle, initially in 5.56 but later on in 7.62. FN's rifle was the one chosen out of that evaluation process. That doesn't necessarily mean it's the best rifle in its class, but certainly being able to pass those selection standards should count for something.

As for pricing, it's a new design, so no one should be surprised that a SCAR costs a bit more than a run-of-the-mill AR-10, which has been around for several decades now. There are some SCAR-17's going for decent prices on gunbroker....you don't have to break the bank to own one.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Sigh...here we go.

I think you're a bit biased here.

And you would be wrong. I'm not sure how you've even convinced yourself that I might be biased, and then proceed to be biased as hell with no factual basis yourself. I was simply stating facts about quality AR10s. You are dithering about reputation. Which is biased again?

Have you even done side-by-side comparisons? If so, how many rounds did you fire through each weapon and in what kind of conditions.

I covered this above, yes. To be fair, the SCAR was a stock H on a range for a few hundred rounds. But that is all I needed to agree with the opinion of everyone else who's tested them on the points I made above. This isn't about some anecdotal BS, this is simply me reporting what is physically possible on both platforms.

Also, which factory-produced AR-10 consistently produces less than .5 MOA?

Good god did you not even read my post? I said built, as in built by you or a good smith. But yes, there are actually several factory options for .5moa gas guns, including JP, GAP, and KAC. Lowlight has a pretty good list of top performers. So you can build them or buy them. And you know what? They will be over 2x as accurate as what a SCAR struggles to achieve on a good day.

The SCAR has plenty of real-world credibility, suppressed, unsupressed, semi-auto and full auto.

Just like the AR10. And we know a lot about both because of it. And what we know is that SCARs can eat optics, and have other issues that a quality AR10 will not.

I'm not sure by what standard you're making the the claim (arguably a very subjective one) that a quality AR-10 will "outperform" the SCAR.

Now I know you are trolling. I just laid it out for you in the OP that you quoted. It isn't even a long post, just take the time to read. I'll give you an even quicker TL;DR. The AR10 can be: just as reliable and durable, lighter, quieter and less gassy to the shooter, far more accurate, with less recoil, won't eat optics, and with a massively better aftermarket. In other words, better in every way it is possible to be that matters.

And on pricing, we aren't talking about normal SCAR pricing (which is already way too much for what it is) but the pricing of this collectors kit linked in the OP, which is basically double.

Next time try reading before you post.

Reactions: ajl
And you would be wrong. I'm not sure how you've even convinced yourself that I might be biased, and then proceed to be biased as hell with no factual basis yourself. I was simply stating facts about quality AR10s. You are dithering about reputation. Which is biased again?

You're not stating facts. You're stating opinions. Claiming that the AR-10 outperforms the SCAR-H is not a fact, it's an opinion, one that is based on a series of subjective evaluations.

I covered this above, yes. To be fair, the SCAR was a stock H on a range for a few hundred rounds. But that is all I needed to agree with the opinion of everyone else who's tested them on the points I made above. This isn't about some anecdotal BS, this is simply me reporting what is physically possible on both platforms.

This wasn't covered above. All you said was 'yes' in your previous post; you didn't provide any details. And even with a few hundred rounds, I don't know what the hell you observed that could persuade you to think that the SCAR is somehow deficient when compared to other 7.62 rifles.

Also, you should go look up the definition of anecdotal. When you use the experiences/opinions of other people as evidence, it's considered "anecdotal," as per the definition of that word.

Good god did you not even read my post? I said built, as in built by you or a good smith. But yes, there are actually several factory options for .5moa gas guns, including JP, GAP, and KAC. Lowlight has a pretty good list of top performers. So you can build them or buy them. And you know what? They will be over 2x as accurate as what a SCAR struggles to achieve on a good day.

2x as accurate? I think you're drinking too much kool aid. And as I said earlier, unless you've done extensive side-by-side comparisons (same ammo, same conditions, same range), which I very much doubt that you have, you're going out on a shaky limb to make that kind of claim.

Just like the AR10. And we know a lot about both because of it. And what we know is that SCARs can eat optics, and have other issues that a quality AR10 will not.

Have you personally experienced any of these issues with optics? Again, it seems like you're relying on anecdotal evidence. I'm sure some SCAR's have had issues with optics. The fact is: the SCAR has been adopted by SOCOM, as well as other militaries, en masse. If optics failure was truly a widespread problem, I'd expect to see DOD requests for system changes; I haven't seen anything of the sort. Have you?

I've heard a few complaints about that issue within the civilian community....it's far from common. That issue may be more indicative of scope/optic quality rather than inherent design flaws with the weapon.

Now I know you are trolling. I just laid it out for you in the OP that you quoted. It isn't even a long post, just take the time to read. I'll give you an even quicker TL;DR. The AR10 can be: just as reliable and durable, lighter, quieter and less gassy to the shooter, far more accurate, with less recoil, won't eat optics, and with a massively better aftermarket. In other words, better in every way it is possible to be that matters.

I'm not going to argue against each of those individual points, but let's be honest here: just about everything you're stating in the above post is opinion, not fact. And if all you did was fire a few hundred rounds at a range to form those opinions, then I think you're assuming much more credibility on the topic than you deserve. Did you honestly see optics failures and abnormal weapons malfunctions during your limited time behind the SCAR?

I'm curious to know where/when you fired these several hundred rounds through the SCAR. Did someone let you borrow the rifle? It's obvious from what you've said so far that you don't own the rifle and that it wasn't your standard issue (if you were in a LE or Military service). And yet you talk about the rifle's shortcomings as if you're intimately familiar with it.

Last edited:
* laughs in M110K1 *

Just now:

Me - hey, you over there in the booty shorts!

Wife - What?

Me - You give a shit if I buy another 5k rifle?

Wife - Whatever.

And I still didn't buy one.

ETA - LOL @ the people freaking out about wanting a .5MOA AR10 platform. In my time between using them and instructing on people using them, its not what the large frame semi can shoot, its what you can shoot with a large frame semi auto. I mean, given the caliber limitations and the size of the target you're shooting at with these rifles in mind (see: torso with a head on it) WTF are you guys trying to do? Shoot a 8 inch plate at 1400 yards with a semi auto 308? Seriously.

Last edited:
Meh...better off building really nice 6.5 gasser and having $2000 left for ammo.

Piece I shot for WoF a few years back with some PJ's...

CrguXv8l.jpg

Also, let's have an apples-to-apples comparison here:

A SCAR 17 fetches about the same on gunbroker as the 7.62 offerings from LWRC and KAC: $2,800-$3,700 depending on condition and options.

Some of the KAC rifles are actually a bit more expensive.

This SCAR 20 package for $5,500 is just that: a package deal, which includes cases and other accessories. The actual rifle will sell for less once the limited edition production run ends. It's also a SCAR with a longer/heavier barrel, beefed up receiver and a geissele trigger.

A little bit of context is helpful when analyzing the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henok
Boy Upstate43 that was a very long way of saying "I cannot possibly contest the presented facts, so I'm just going to blather on about how you have to carry both through the jungles of Cambodia before you are allowed to have an opinion (and I only like anecdotal opinions because the facts hurt)....unless of course it supports my opinion which is based on nothing but marketing." What a bad joke, you address zero points. Waste your money on an inferior system if you want. This is why FN can charge what they do, always a delusional sucker born every minute. DEA 2010 SOCOM FN SCAR OMFG TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Last edited:
What I find so interesting about these types of threads is that the people who are making the loudest, most negative comments are usually the ones who have little to no experience with the weapon in question.

And considering that this version of the SCAR hasn't even gotten into consumer hands yet, I'd say that anyone who chooses to criticize this rifle is doing so purely based on speculation and assumption.

Value is a conversation unto itself, and a highly subjective one. But as I said before, the underlying SCAR 17 platform fetches about the same price range as the other high-end 7.62 offerings. We'll have to wait and see where the price truly settles for the SCAR 20 once this package deal ends.

It's like a left Vs right, it religious debate, no one is changing the others minds... But it's the internet.
I'm just glad a long awaited rifle is finally going to be released.
The more the merrier I can't imagine these types of rifles are going to be available to us forever...

Well, when the 20s does come out in a non-package version, I think I will be picking one up. I've had very good luck with my 16s and 17s, which were both consistent sub MOA guns. I can only imagine that the 20s would be more accurate than my 17s - or that is my hope anyway...

R,
jmw

Reactions: WYO09
Well I got one.... just cause I been wanting this dang rifle. We all know these first one will be posted on GB for 7500 as soon as they are in hand. I’m scared to even fire it
LETS SEE THOSE GROUPS BABY!