• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR OAL HELP

deerassassin22

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2012
Fort Benning, GA
I did to the best of my ability the Finding OAL 101 in the stickies above. Im loading for a SCAR 17 Just picked her up today and shooting Hornady 168gr Match .308cal bullets. When trying to do as stated in the sticky I came up with the following 2.890 for OAL. My books all stat 2.800 for max with this bullet so wondering how I might have goofed this one up. Anyone have any other OAL they are using with their SCAR? I also had bought some "ZOMBIE" ammo all they had 168gr Ballistic Tip and they are 2.800 if this helps. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but never had to find OAL for a rifle or pistol. I know with pistol loading long will help with pressure so not sure with rifle I "ASSUME" the same but I don't like ASSUMPTIONS since they are the MOTHER of ALL well you know.

Re: SCAR OAL HELP

First of all, let's make sure we're using consistent terms. When I see OAL, I think of the distance at which a loaded round’s bullet is engaging the riflings. This can be determined by a variety of methods, like the use of an OAL gauge and bullet comparator, or the use of a case with a slot cut in the neck and a bullet comparator. I am assuming you used one of these methods (or one that is substantially similar) to measure your OAL.

The 2.800" maximum you see in your books is the recommended maximum overall cartridge length. 2.800" is generally a conservative length and helps to ensure that your round will fit in a magazine.

To put this in perspective, I shoot a Hornady 178 Amax out of my Savage 110FP. My measured OAL for this bullet is 2.276", and the overall length of the cartridge averages around 2.914".

Hope this helps.
Bob

OAL = the length from the POINT of the boolet to the base of the cartridge.

Which is important to you because the boolet must fit in the magazine. You need AT LEAST 0.010" of space between the tip and the mag wall for reliable function.

Squarenut, you are confusing OGIVE length with OAL or COAL. Your OGIVE LENGTH is 2.276" your COAL is 2.914"

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OAL = the length from the POINT of the boolet to the base of the cartridge.

Which is important to you because the boolet must fit in the magazine. You need AT LEAST 0.010" of space between the tip and the mag wall for reliable function.

Squarenut, you are confusing OGIVE length with OAL or COAL. Your OGIVE LENGTH is 2.276" your COAL is 2.914"

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Sorry Doc. I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I am not confused about the COAL being 2.914", but I have always (mis)understood OAL to be the distance at which a loaded round's bullet engaged the lands which, in my case, is 2.276".
Thanks
Bob