• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCAR17 vs KAC SR25 E2 CC (ACC)

MrDogtor

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2019
I do not currently own anything that occupies the role of "battle rifle" or "heavy carbine". With election season fast approaching, I've decided it is time to make a purchase.

I am looking for something that is relatively light weight, can be used for mid-sized game hunting and self-defense, and can be used at the range to 600-800yd with around 1 MOA with match ammo. 7.62/.308 for ammo availability and cost.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a SCAR17S (probably SBR'd to 13") vs KAC SR25 CC. I've also considered the B&T APC308, Robinson XCR-M, LMT MWS, and POF Revolution DI.

The SCAR17S with the upgrades comes out to around the same price as the SR25, so price is a wash. The SCAR looks very cool, but I'm concerned that is all it has going for it (for me). Both the SCAR and SR25 by all reports seem very reliable, but the SR25 doesn't kill optics. The SCAR apparently has issues when suppressed, but the SR25 has a weird thread pattern that wouldn't allow me to use my stock of cans/muzzle devices. They're both around the same weight, with the SCAR taking a bit of a lead here. Accuracy seems comparable, with the CC taking a bit of a lead. Side charge is cool, but reciprocating charging handle is only going to make things slower and potentially cause other issues. Folding stock is cool but ultimately unnecessary. Recoil probably goes to the SR25 if equipped with a muzzle brake.

Features on the other rifles mentioned above do make them attractive. Non-reciprocating handle on the XCR-M plus ambi bolt-hold-open. Ambi bolt-hold-open on the the POF and LMT. Ultimately, the weight on the LMT, the potential accuracy issues on the XCR-M, the reported QC issues of the POF, and the limited info on the B&T make less suitable for my needs. Same goes for heavier, more precision oriented options like the GAP10 and Larue.

Any opinions on SCAR vs KAC? Especially from those who have owned/used both? I will likely not have a chance to try out an SR25 before purchasing one.

TL;DR: Title

Last edited:
You can’t go wrong with either (I have had both). They are both great systems. For me, it just came down to preference and perhaps the way in which you intend to use. I have always felt very comfortable with the SCAR 17. And had not experienced issues with it eating optics (keep in mind I always had quality optics such as NF, Minox, CQBSS, etc) until I mounted a PVS30. It’s possible I had a defective PVS30; however, the SCAR identified it’s weakness. That is it’s downfall in my opinion, as it is just a PITA. Otherwise I lean toward the SCAR. The ACC was awesome as well. It feels like an AR15. I just always felt that it fit a DMR role, where I had bolt action rifles to fit that role.
Again, you can’t go wrong with either platform.

Reactions: MrDogtor
The Scar 17 is a heavy battle rifle and the SR-25 is more of a DMR. I've owned both and they both fill different roles with different strengths and weaknesses. If I could only pick one it would be the SR-25. That said, you really can't go wrong either way.

Can’t say I’ve owned or shot a 7.62 knights but I have owned a scar in what I consider the ideal configuration.

-Geissele trigger
-KRG handguard
-CQBSS/NXS3-15 F1

That damn rifle wouldn’t hold a zero to save it’s life with either optic when both optics proved they could on other platforms. In adm and nf mounts FYI.

Sold it for a lmt Mws and haven’t regretted it for a second since. The MWS is a legitimate workhorse and should be added to your considerations if you ever want to change calibers or plan on mounting something on your forend that requires zeroing. (Lrf, peq, etc)

For those with knights experience what does the extra $ for the knights get you over the Mws for several thousand less?

Can’t say I’ve owned or shot a 7.62 knights but I have owned a scar in what I consider the ideal configuration.

-Geissele trigger
-KRG handguard
-CQBSS/NXS3-15 F1

That damn rifle wouldn’t hold a zero to save it’s life with either optic when both optics proved they could on other platforms. In adm and nf mounts FYI.

Sold it for a lmt Mws and haven’t regretted it for a second since. The MWS is a legitimate workhorse and should be added to your considerations if you ever want to change calibers or plan on mounting something on your forend that requires zeroing. (Lrf, peq, etc)

For those with knights experience what does the extra $ for the knights get you over the Mws for several thousand less?

The few extra thousand with the KAC buys you a more refined gas system, a better bolt, and less weight. The MWS is usually every bit as accurate as the KAC. I consider the SR-25 to be the pinnacle of the gasser 308's and the LMT to be the budget option that is 96% as good.

The few extra thousand with the KAC buys you a more refined gas system, a better bolt, and less weight. The MWS is usually every bit as accurate as the KAC. I consider the SR-25 to be the pinnacle of the gasser 308's and the LMT to be the budget option that is 96% as good.

Good answer! What I take from this is the LMT retains the utmost reliability (which I’ve experienced with my two) with perhaps a little more recoil and a little more weight while having a more robust handguard/mounting system and caliber versatility. And a better ambi lower.

Do you want a lightweight blaster that’s prone to breakage or a mature, refined weapons system?

From what I've read, it seems like both are reliable and durable, but the SCAR17 does seem to have a penchant for killing optics.

Why buy just a SCAR17 or KAC when you can build your own for half the price?

Get a CMT or MEGA matched set, and build away.

I did consider this for a while. I've assembled quite a few AR15s. Kinda want something straight from factory this time. I like the idea of a heavy carbine being battle proven, as mall ninja as that might be.

The Scar 17 is a heavy battle rifle and the SR-25 is more of a DMR. I've owned both and they both fill different roles with different strengths and weaknesses. If I could only pick one it would be the SR-25. That said, you really can't go wrong either way.

The SR25 CC and the SCAR 17 both weigh about the same and shoot the same caliber. From what I've read, they both shoot 1-2 MOA with match ammo and are reliable and durable. Seems to me like the occupy the same role.

You can’t go wrong with either (I have had both). They are both great systems. For me, it just came down to preference and perhaps the way in which you intend to use. I have always felt very comfortable with the SCAR 17. And had not experienced issues with it eating optics (keep in mind I always had quality optics such as NF, Minox, CQBSS, etc) until I mounted a PVS30. It’s possible I had a defective PVS30; however, the SCAR identified it’s weakness. That is it’s downfall in my opinion, as it is just a PITA. Otherwise I lean toward the SCAR. The ACC was awesome as well. It feels like an AR15. I just always felt that it fit a DMR role, where I had bolt action rifles to fit that role.
Again, you can’t go wrong with either platform.

Having owned both, would you agree with the statement that the SCAR has a jumpy/vertical recoil impulse vs a straight push impulse on SR25?

Also, being that it has come up multiple times in multiple places, why do feel that the ACC is more of a DMR than the SCAR when they have a very comparable weight, shoot the same round, and have similar accuracy (I believe Knight's guarantees only a 1.5 MOA on the ACC)?

HK417 is an option to consider as well. The army replaced Knights rifle with HK's, just another option.

The SR25 CC and the SCAR 17 both weigh about the same and shoot the same caliber. From what I've read, they both shoot 1-2 MOA with match ammo and are reliable and durable. Seems to me like the occupy the same role.

The Scar has always been lighter until the most recent generation of SR-25's and even then the Scar has a very slight edge. Sure they shoot the same caliber but they go about it in very different fashions, from the differences in their gas systems, to their barrels, bolts, HOB, recoil impulse, etc. the fact that they shoot the same caliber is about the only thing that they have in common. Th Scar is a 1-2moa rifle but the SR-25 in almost every single case is a sub-moa rifle if not better. I've gotten 1moa with bulk practice ammo out of my EMC, I'd never expect that from a standard Scar 17. The Scar 17 was deployed as a 13" heavy battle rifle and while it might have been labeled a DMR it doesn't fit that role in its true sense. The SR-25 has been deployed in 16" and 20" flavors and has always been a DMR first. You're watering these two rifles down to base facts, they are very different platforms.

Fyi, with me shooting, my SR25 CC on average does 0.75-0.9 for certain factory match ammos, 1-1.2 for certain other factory match ammos, and 1.75-2.0 MOA for M80 ball from PPU and LC. All depends on which ammo is used. These are averages over many groups of each ammo.

I'm not the best shooter, but this may give you a general idea.

Between SCAR17 and SR25/MK11, it is SR/MK all day long. I’ve owned a scar and hated everything about it. I’ve been issued both a MK11 and an SR25 (essentially the same damn thing just depends on the crowd you’re with) and would take either over a SCAR. I’d actually rather not have a gas 308 if my only option was a scar17 lol.

When I was in the market for a 308 gas system, I went OBR 18”. It was a friggin laser. Ended up selling it as I never shot it and if I’m running LR, it’s going to be with a bolt gun. If I’m running 100-700, then my LMT SLK8 (556) goes to work.

I loved the OBR and would give it a look, if you haven’t already. I know saying that on here is a bit risky, but I stand by it.

All that being said, the LMT MWS should definitely be given a chance. The monolithic rail and ability to quickly swap calibers and barrel lengths might make it a one stop shop for you. The monolithic rail beats out the traditional AR-style receiver/rail/mono riser combo setup. My LMT SLK8 with the LMT Stainless steel 1:7.5 barrel out shot or matched my (previously) issued KAC SR15/MK12. I have no reason to doubt that their 308 MWS platform wouldn’t do the same against the SR25/MK11.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the newer MWS models come with the fully Ambi lower, which is nice. I’m sure KAC does as well, but I haven’t seen their newest variants.

Here for the "build your own for half the price" comments o_O

Non-weisenheimer input: LMT is heavy-especially the 1913 railed upper. MLOK and slickside are lighter. Modular and they are all shooters . SCAR has some cool factor for many and the 1 time I shot it I wanted one-so much lighter than my LMTs. KAC is very smooth and it's a KAC.

Me personally, the SCAR isn't even an option. I used to own one. It always felt bulky to me, required slightly different manual of arms vs AR style and expensive magazines.

The scar has a cool factor to it for instagram posts, but that's about it. If it was $1k cheaper, it would be more within it's value in my opinion. At the time, I paid $2,800 for my scar through buds gun shop. Bought it while in Afghan and it was waiting for me at the FFL back home. I don't think you can even find a used scar for less than $3k anymore. Honestly, I don't know why they are priced so high. The value just isn't there for me.

Here for the "build your own for half the price" comments o_O

Non-weisenheimer input: LMT is heavy-especially the 1913 railed upper. MLOK and slickside are lighter. Modular and they are all shooters . SCAR has some cool factor for many and the 1 time I shot it I wanted one-so much lighter than my LMTs. KAC is very smooth and it's a KAC.

Right? lol there’s one not too far up on here already.

Yea the standard MWS is heavy with the quad rails but I meant to say the SLK/MLOK/Slickside upper variants (forgot to specify that above). Quad rails are so 2005 lol.

Yea the SCAR definitely has a “cool” factor to it but that’s about where it ends and does nothing other than attract talkers at a range or “likes” online.

KACs are smooth and definitely a great setup, especially the modern variants. I don’t think the OP would go wrong with a KAC, OBR, or LMT. I’ve never had hands on a GAP-10, but it’s a GAP so probably another great setup.

HK417 is an option to consider as well. The army replaced Knights rifle with HK's, just another option.

Weight plus proprietary mags like the SCAR but even more expensive makes this one a non-starter for me. I'm sure it's an excellent rifle, just not for my purposes.

The Scar has always been lighter until the most recent generation of SR-25's and even then the Scar has a very slight edge. Sure they shoot the same caliber but they go about it in very different fashions, from the differences in their gas systems, to their barrels, bolts, HOB, recoil impulse, etc. the fact that they shoot the same caliber is about the only thing that they have in common. Th Scar is a 1-2moa rifle but the SR-25 in almost every single case is a sub-moa rifle if not better. I've gotten 1moa with bulk practice ammo out of my EMC, I'd never expect that from a standard Scar 17. The Scar 17 was deployed as a 13" heavy battle rifle and while it might have been labeled a DMR it doesn't fit that role in its true sense. The SR-25 has been deployed in 16" and 20" flavors and has always been a DMR first. You're watering these two rifles down to base facts, they are very different platforms.

Agreed that I am simplifying things. Thank you for thoughts. What is HOB? And how would you compare the recoil impulses?

Fyi, with me shooting, my SR25 CC on average does 0.75-0.9 for certain factory match ammos, 1-1.2 for certain other factory match ammos, and 1.75-2.0 MOA for M80 ball from PPU and LC. All depends on which ammo is used. These are averages over many groups of each ammo.

Wow, sub-MOA is better than I would expect. What ammo was getting that?

Between SCAR17 and SR25/MK11, it is SR/MK all day long. I’ve owned a scar and hated everything about it. I’ve been issued both a MK11 and an SR25 (essentially the same damn thing just depends on the crowd you’re with) and would take either over a SCAR. I’d actually rather not have a gas 308 if my only option was a scar17 lol.

When I was in the market for a 308 gas system, I went OBR 18”. It was a friggin laser. Ended up selling it as I never shot it and if I’m running LR, it’s going to be with a bolt gun. If I’m running 100-700, then my LMT SLK8 (556) goes to work.

I loved the OBR and would give it a look, if you haven’t already. I know saying that on here is a bit risky, but I stand by it.

All that being said, the LMT MWS should definitely be given a chance. The monolithic rail and ability to quickly swap calibers and barrel lengths might make it a one stop shop for you. The monolithic rail beats out the traditional AR-style receiver/rail/mono riser combo setup. My LMT SLK8 with the LMT Stainless steel 1:7.5 barrel out shot or matched my (previously) issued KAC SR15/MK12. I have no reason to doubt that their 308 MWS platform wouldn’t do the same against the SR25/MK11.

I’m not 100% sure but I think the newer MWS models come with the fully Ambi lower, which is nice. I’m sure KAC does as well, but I haven’t seen their newest variants.

OBR is just too heavy for what I'm looking for. Same with the LMT. Even the mlok version with light barrel is a pound heavier than the SR25 as far as I can tell. The monolitihic upper and ambi bolt hold open on the MARS lower are really neat though.

Yea the SCAR definitely has a “cool” factor to it but that’s about where it ends and does nothing other than attract talkers at a range or “likes” online.

This is exactly what I am concerned about. I don't mind spending money where there's value, but with the SCAR I'm not sure there is. I've shot a SCAR17 once and wasn't that impressed, but I shot it stock. Irons, heavy stock trigger, no VFG or other grip (so just holding cheese grater rails), etc.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
OBR is just too heavy for what I'm looking for. Same with the LMT. Even the mlok version with light barrel is a pound heavier than the SR25 as far as I can tell. The monolitihic upper and ambi bolt hold open on the MARS lower are really neat though.

This is exactly what I am concerned about. I don't mind spending money where there's value, but with the SCAR I'm not sure there is. I've shot a SCAR17 once and wasn't that impressed, but I shot it stock. Irons, heavy stock trigger, no VFG or other grip (so just holding cheese grater rails), etc.

Understandable. Dude you’ll be super happy with the SR25. Ours were getting sub MOA with 175 FGMM and (real) M118LR, and right at 1 MOA with BH.

I'm partial to the AR10 platform primarily due to being invested in the Stoner designed system for three decades and the muscle memory developed as a result of training extensively with small and large frame ARs. That said, I run the KAC SR25 CC and LMT MWS. I've shot SCARs, and while they are cool, I never walked away all that impressed by them and never had a burning desire to own one. I wouldn't turn one down if offered to me, but I would pick the SR25 CC over the SCAR any day.

It sounds like you want the KAC. Just buy it and live your best life.

Until a couple days ago, I felt like I was 100% set on the SCAR17. Even made a mock-up of how I would set mine up (attached).

Then I started thinking about the SR25 again and became uncertain, prompting my post here.

Attachments

• kdg shorty scar17 VFG hypertap.png
    kdg shorty scar17 VFG hypertap.png
    763 KB · Views: 244
Having owned both, would you agree with the statement that the SCAR has a jumpy/vertical recoil impulse vs a straight push impulse on SR25?

Also, being that it has come up multiple times in multiple places, why do feel that the ACC is more of a DMR than the SCAR when they have a very comparable weight, shoot the same round, and have similar accuracy (I believe Knight's guarantees only a 1.5 MOA on the ACC)?

I have not experienced upward recoil impulse, but I would bet that comes down to how the rifle is driven. It’s crazy how much emotion gets wrapped up around these questions. I’m willing to bet there is very little scientific opinions here. True is they can both shoot, they are both reliable and they both have pluses and minuses.
It may be a sign if you were not comfortable behind the SCAR initially. Admittedly, I have never shot a stock SCAR, but it’s a mute point since you can set it up the way you want for a similar final cost. I’ve had 5 or so SCARS, a SR25 ACC, couple GAP-10s and they all shot. It’s just what you are comfortable with.

(I believe Knight's guarantees only a 1.5 MOA on the ACC)?

KAC doesn't make any specific guarantee about the accuracy of their rifles, their guarantee is an end-to-end warranty that the rifle performs as expected. The"1.5 MOA" myth is a relic of the original CSASS program when the SR-25 was first bought by SOCOM because that was the spec published in the RFP. Knight's specifically suggested to the Army multiple times that the spec should be refined to be more accurate, but the Army held fast to their 1.5 MOA requirement. The fact is that most SR-25s are well below sub MOA, even the current CC which is a chrome lined "combat" barrel, not to mention the PC which is a cut rifled stainless heavy barrel.

Scar has the cool factor for sure. I put thousands of rounds through a few scars I used to own, before I got rid of them.

Accuracy was excellent, however, the thin barrel will make it hard to take long shots after a few mags. Also having put over 50k round through the ar design in the last 5 years, the ergo of the scar took some time get used to, and I never was able to work it as well as an ar10.

Also, when you buy that scar, you are going to want to make upgrades out of the box. I did the trigger, mrex rail, pistol grip, buttstocks, and even the lower. It was a $5k scar, which no one would pay close to $5k for. When you mod a gun, you'll be lucky to get 50% of that money back, if you decide to sell it.

The recoil impulse is different than an ar10. That heavy bolt drives upwards, instead of to the side. If you have a lot of experience with ar designs, dealing with the recoil impulsive for fast shots, will take a bit of time getting used to.

Optic killer, yes for sure. I have talked to many people who have had issues with their scar breaking optics.

one more thing that sucks, is the expensive proprietary parts. $1100 barrels, expensive bolts etc. Also, you will have a hard time finding those parts.

Scar was a very cool gun, but once the shine wears off, I want something I can shoot well, and that works for me, and that is ar10 rifles. Right now I have an lmt mws. It's heavy, but its meant more of a precision long distance rig with an ss 18 inch barrel. If i want to shoot at shorter ranges, I'll pick up an ar15.

KAC doesn't make any specific guarantee about the accuracy of their rifles, their guarantee is an end-to-end warranty that the rifle performs as expected. The"1.5 MOA" myth is a relic of the original CSASS program when the SR-25 was first bought by SOCOM because that was the spec published in the RFP. Knight's specifically suggested to the Army multiple times that the spec should be refined to be more accurate, but the Army held fast to their 1.5 MOA requirement. The fact is that most SR-25s are well below sub MOA, even the current CC which is a chrome lined "combat" barrel, not to mention the PC which is a cut rifled stainless heavy barrel.

KAC reps will still say their rifles are guaranteed 1.5" MOA. While it may not be an "official" statement, reputable KAC reps will still go on record making this claim. As you've stated, the CC is more than capable of sub-MOA groups, but it is also more prone to opening up during long strings of continuous fire due to the LW barrel profile. It's a great choice if extended long range precision isn't the primary role of the rifle. Personally, I feel it's a great dual-role carbine that makes a perfect companion for those extended multi-day nature walks (personal protection or taking game).

LMT MWS or KAC SR25 or JP's Duty Series >>>>>>> SCAR anything. An AR10 build with the right parts from the right smith (like MSTN) will also be vastly superior to a SCAR.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Probably all depends what its primary use will be. My SCAR quickly became my all purpose brush rifle and made a lot of others in the safe obsolete I used to use for that. Just the right balance of weight an size for me. Im in and out of the truck a lot with it with a can on so the shorter the better. While I do take deer with it, it probably gets used more for stalking pigs and calling predators (I dont care about pelts lol) these days. You'll definitely want to keep the OEM barrel if you plan to reach out to 800.

As for eating optics- Ive seen it written countless times but not personally had an issue. Its shot suppressed 90% of the time and wears either a NF NSX 2.5-10 with an older PEQ and several thousand rounds and also has maybe 1K rounds with a PVS-4 on it. It was between the MWS and SCAR when I got mine and got to handle both. Would have been happy with either, but Scar is just shy of a pound lighter. Being careful with optics and mount weights got it to come maybe 5 ozs more with optics than the base MWS. I tried a few heavier optics on but decided its the SCARs light weight thats seems to add to its utility. Decided the 20oz NXS was the very max I was willing to go on it.

Definitely buy the G trigger as well the day you get it. Accuracy sucks ass in mine with M80 ball lime 3" but not like I shoot that anyway. For range time the 168gr Amaxs in handloads will do 1.25 MOA without much effort and for the field mine loves Barnes 130gr TTSXs and usually prints right at .75 MOA. Thats been my go to load for many critters day and night out hiking or dicking around on ranches. Its an absolute hoot getting up into a sounder of pigs with it and hammering away. Barrel heats up quick so not ideal for long shot strings going for accuracy but again if thats not your main purpose you would be very happy with the 17.

I’ve owned my SCAR 17 for 5 years now and I’ve never experienced any issues. It will shoot 1 MOA with match, maybe better with reloads. I did eventually get a Super SCAR trigger for it. I use a vortex Viper Gen 2 pst 3-15 on it.

One thing though, you SBR the SCAR, you can forget about 800 yards.
Not true at all, I shoot to 875 yards consistently with ball ammo using my 13 inch Scar 17. Also runs fine on 168 gr for tighter groups. It doesnt push to 1,000 like my 16 inch and longer guns due to the round being sub sonic at that point, and a 3 MOA M80 round just really not having the accuracy to hit a 14x16 inch torso, but 875 and below is a walk in the park. Would it drop a person at that distance? Who knows, but seeing as how the use isnt going to be killing bad guys, id say its just fine.

Reactions: Crang
Without addressing individual issues, you have Scar haters, and Scar lovers. Most of the internet just regurgitates fake news because it suits their individual needs. Ive run multiple different optics (all high end obviously) on my Scar 17 and yet to EVER have a failure of any sort. I had two other scars before it with the same outcome. Granted I changed my gas jets for optimum operation and have a 13 inch barrel on mine, as well as always run suppressed, but the thing is a sewing machine, its accurate, its light, easy to shoot, and I rarely clean it because im lazy. Ive honestly probably punched the bore twice since owning it, and toss lube on the carrier about once a year just to do so.
Have some people legitimately had issues with a Scar? Sure... I didnt diagnose their weapons and I dont know their shooting conditions, but me personally, ive shot mine in 30 degree weather, 120 degree weather, rapid fired through mags, slow fired through mags, and its just the most dependable weapon ive fired.

As far as the Scar vs Knights, as others have said, two different worlds. I have a LMT 20 inch MWS for punching steel at 1000+ or making tight little groups, a 16 inch DD for the ability to hit 1000, making average groups, and something a bit heavier with a light attached for a "battle rifle" role, then my SBR Scar 17 that fits in my gym bag, its a couple lbs lighter than the others, really can work any role due to the smaller size and larger caliber with reduced recoil over an AR, etc.

If you wanted something more comparable to the Knights, look at the Scar 20 that has a heavier barrel and PRS style stock. I havent personally shot one just because I didnt have any interest in them, but I have friends who run them and like them. My LMT is one of my favorite rifles, but its just a beast compared to the Scar, so unless im going to shoot far for sure and prone out, I prefer the Scar. Currently running a Mark 6 1-6 with the CMR762 and its a blast to shoot out to 750 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger, or I take my time at 875, which in my opinion, is really the limit due to velocity in a 13 inch barrel. If you keep the 16 inch its fine to 1000 all day long and likes 168 or 175 pills, the only downside is if you hang a can off it and fire fast, the thin profile barrel can start to string shots after a bit. No issue on the 13 :)

If I were to buy another scar it would be with a 13 inch and a red dot. I think small and lightweight is where it excels.
However, the scar breaking optics is no myth. We might have maybe ten past and present scar owners on this thread , and one off then has had an optic break on his scar. And I spoke to him directly and he said it happened after only a few rounds.
Also, I had a long discussion with one of the engineers at lwts. He echoed the same thing. Most likely your unit will be fine on the scar, but that the scar was the biggest culprit in rifles breaking their thermals.

Without addressing individual issues, you have Scar haters, and Scar lovers. Most of the internet just regurgitates fake news because it suits their individual needs. Ive run multiple different optics (all high end obviously) on my Scar 17 and yet to EVER have a failure of any sort. I had two other scars before it with the same outcome. Granted I changed my gas jets for optimum operation and have a 13 inch barrel on mine, as well as always run suppressed, but the thing is a sewing machine, its accurate, its light, easy to shoot, and I rarely clean it because im lazy. Ive honestly probably punched the bore twice since owning it, and toss lube on the carrier about once a year just to do so.
Have some people legitimately had issues with a Scar? Sure... I didnt diagnose their weapons and I dont know their shooting conditions, but me personally, ive shot mine in 30 degree weather, 120 degree weather, rapid fired through mags, slow fired through mags, and its just the most dependable weapon ive fired.

As far as the Scar vs Knights, as others have said, two different worlds. I have a LMT 20 inch MWS for punching steel at 1000+ or making tight little groups, a 16 inch DD for the ability to hit 1000, making average groups, and something a bit heavier with a light attached for a "battle rifle" role, then my SBR Scar 17 that fits in my gym bag, its a couple lbs lighter than the others, really can work any role due to the smaller size and larger caliber with reduced recoil over an AR, etc.

If you wanted something more comparable to the Knights, look at the Scar 20 that has a heavier barrel and PRS style stock. I havent personally shot one just because I didnt have any interest in them, but I have friends who run them and like them. My LMT is one of my favorite rifles, but its just a beast compared to the Scar, so unless im going to shoot far for sure and prone out, I prefer the Scar. Currently running a Mark 6 1-6 with the CMR762 and its a blast to shoot out to 750 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger, or I take my time at 875, which in my opinion, is really the limit due to velocity in a 13 inch barrel. If you keep the 16 inch its fine to 1000 all day long and likes 168 or 175 pills, the only downside is if you hang a can off it and fire fast, the thin profile barrel can start to string shots after a bit. No issue on the 13 :)

its one thing to our cheap optics like Aimpoint, Nightforce or Schmidts on a SCAR, putting a clip on you bought with your own money in there takes big balls.

Only if the warranty would cover it lol. My understanding is that its the forward recoil impulse that does it. Same reason pellet rifles break even high end scopes but cheap ones made for pellet guns are OK. Everything else is designed for recoil going in the other direction although the better built they are the better the chance they stand of taking it. I bet most good manufacturers could tell you how they will fare and if its covered-

If I were to buy another scar it would be with a 13 inch and a red dot. I think small and lightweight is where it excels.
However, the scar breaking optics is no myth. We might have maybe ten past and present scar owners on this thread , and one off then has had an optic break on his scar. And I spoke to him directly and he said it happened after only a few rounds.
Also, I had a long discussion with one of the engineers at lwts. He echoed the same thing. Most likely your unit will be fine on the scar, but that the scar was the biggest culprit in rifles breaking their thermals.
That doesn’t even slightly concern you that someone said their optic broke “after a couple rounds” on a rifle the military and many law enforcement agencies currently use? I’ve run acogs, multiple variable power optics, high power optics, aim points and eotechs... never once an issue. Could it happen? Sure... but I’d really want to be involved in the diag for “just a couple rounds”.

That doesn’t even slightly concern you that someone said their optic broke “after a couple rounds” on a rifle the military and many law enforcement agencies currently use? I’ve run acogs, multiple variable power optics, high power optics, aim points and eotechs... never once an issue. Could it happen? Sure... but I’d really want to be involved in the diag for “just a couple rounds”.

Maybe dbransco can chime in. If I remember my conversation correctly his Pvs 30 went down after less than 5 rounds. Nightsniper an active poster on here was there to witness it as well.

After talking to lwts I decided I didn’t have the balls to run it on the scar. It was out of warranty

Reactions: deersniper
Maybe dbransco can chime in. If I remember my conversation correctly his Pvs 30 went down after less than 5 rounds. Nightsniper an active poster on here was there to witness it as well.

After talking to lwts I decided I didn’t have the balls to run it on the scar. It was out of warranty
Im not sure id consider Night Vision devices as "optics" so to say... they are fragile as it is. I thought we were talking about red dots, scopes and other things. I honestly cant speak to the durability of night optics as the ones issued to me dont go on my weapons.

gotta say for the record that the Scar 20S is superior to the Scar 17S in accuracy, follow up shots, and smile factor. jmo
it's almost funny how different they seemed to me.
i wouldn't really want to run around with it though. :p

Reactions: Fenix Mike
I had an almost identical dilemma about a year ago. I really wanted a scar17. I didnt want (another) AR platform. I did a little research and found the POF Revolution. It met the weight goal, I already had 308 Pmags, and only had to change the muzzle device for my suppressor.

A year later I can say that I think I made the correct choice. The accuracy is just as good as my other built Semi's and its alot lighter. (Well before I put the thermal scope, suppressor, and bipod lol.
20180817_160820.jpg
20180826_132305.jpg
20190807_140950.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
Please stay on thread track with SCAR17 and KAC SR25. Its a neat rifle but aint no SCAR17 or KAC.

How is the accuracy with the SR25 with cheap M80 ball ammo?
While we aren't going out to 800+ with 145-150gr FMJBT, it's nice to be able to hammer away at anything inside 600 for less than half the cost of match grade ammo.