• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scary clothing banned in combat.

Well we wouldn't want to think war has anything to do with intimidation and death would we?

Reactions: ...
One side: The political left is well entrenched in the military.
The other side: Soldiers wear uniforms, they are not some gang out to express their toughness and individuality. Our enemies are intimidated by the weapons and discipline of our soldiers not their jewelry.

We have historically wanted our armed forces to conduct themselves with professionalism whenever possible. Killing wasn't supposed to be enjoyable, or glorified. It was supposed to be simply something that needed to be done with as much cool headed efficiency as possible. That of course is not the reality of savage warfare. But it is an ideal to strive for. It separates us from true savages.

Look at the way warfare is conducted among the indigenous tribes in Africa. Pure unfettered babarism. That is the thing that a professional army should strive to be as far from as possible. I think that is the message sent in the story cited by the OP.

In the US, police culture has started adopting some of this symbolism. I see guys walking around with the Punisher skull on the back of the shirt with the American flag super imposed on it, with one of the white stripes on the flag colored blue. I fucking hate that shit.

"When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite" - Winston Churchill

Last edited by a moderator:
Australia reveals their new ballistic helmets.....

794-00101-2.jpg

Reactions: 1J04
Australia reveals their new ballistic helmets.....

I think not . Aussie Diggers are very good at infiltrating and making friends with locals everywhere
globally . Looking like a shit cunt with a gay skull mask , like a wannabe bikie might seem like a
good idea raiding an ISIS position , but is pretty poor form wandering arou;d a village full of tired
and scared locals imho . Reverse the situation : you are on scope and you see several targets ,
one of which is wearing a skull mask . Which one do you dump first ?

ne View attachment 6896609

Reactions: Barneybdb
Gotta compensate somehow. Generic patch, maybe?

DEVICES WORN IN LIEU OF
ARROGANT DEATH SYMBOL

I see it from a lot of angles and could probably go on and on but at the end of the day it "just depends".

I don't like it that this general is infantilizing his soldiers because he's not banning this because of how soldiers may be viewed overseas, no , he's banning it because it "gives hubris to killing" or some shit. Whatever, seeing my buddy wearing a mask doesn't give me bloodlust. What a tool. He and Shinseki should get together and come up with some baby blue uniforms with pink boots, elegant hats and rank and piping for new UN uniforms, maybe in a throwback style using Patton's designs. Something totally not threating.

I can see doing away with it, but not for the reasons he mentions. I can also see where it'd be appropriate and where it'd not be appropriate. Who makes that call? Not everyone thinks alike and then some people push shit to see what they can get away with. But if it's in SOP (say for armor or aircraft crews) who gives a shit? Could even be a source of team, squad or platoon pride/morale if they all wear it.

I can see it's not appropriate for "peacekeeping" or when trying to make friends and it'd behoove you to understand how the foreign culture views it before making a rule. But if using force and kicking ass, I don't think it matters and in that case I want to look as mean as possible.

This is nothing new. Look at what has been worn in combat throughout the centuries. Bureaucratic generals infantilizing their soldiers is nothing new either.

We had a lot of that in 'Nam. Not sure, but I think the Marines tended to be marginally less prominent with that.

The only things my uniforms bore was name and my Zap Number (last initial-Dash-last 4 of your serial. 'Sosch' numbers were not yet being used. My Zap Number was L-4196. The Zap Numbers were to be used in case the body was unidentifiable).

My helmet cover had my name and "Permanently Short" which was a joke because I was as tall as the Marines allowed a guy to be without an enlistment waiver.

Greg

piddling bullshit, fuck the other cultures butt hurt. If they are close enough to get butt hurt, they are in range to get dead.

Retarded. Leave them the fuck alone. Feel free to freak if they put a Punisher skull on their dress blues. Otherwise STFU. My guess this general came up through supply.

They used to include decks of cards with 52 Aces of Spades in the C Ration Supplement packages. Many wore the image on their helmets, or even the actual cards themselves. They were intended to foster abject fear in the enemy. But I think they were mostly Meh? about it. They were some pretty scary MF'ers themselves.

At the time it was a laugh..., a short laugh. Sometimes it was a short dirty laugh.

And your question was...?

Greg

Maybe.

Maybe it's just time to 'explain the concept of a blanket party' to some of the more squeamish instructors.

Greg

"A picture of a French soldier wearing such a scarf in Mali in West Africa was published in 2013.

It sparked an investigation at the time with the French military saying it was unacceptable behaviour."

That's good enough for me, If the French said it's bad behavior, then you had better listen up pilgrim or it's time out for you!

Looking at some of those beards, some of them Jokers have been in country awhile. Wouldn't want to be the Hadji standing between them and rotating home...

Everyone prefers when the Reaper comes for you, that he not look scary, but more like Aunt Bea. As if the end result isn't a nice violent death, sheesh.

I never did open up a Sugar Pop that had a deck of cards that were all A Spades. I don't remember cards at all.
Maybe I didn't try hard enough? FM Maybe I don't remember right????

They used to include decks of cards with 52 Aces of Spades in the C Ration Supplement packages. Many wore the image on their helmets, or even the actual cards themselves. They were intended to foster abject fear in the enemy. But I think they were mostly Meh? about it. They were some pretty scary MF'ers themselves.

At the time it was a laugh..., a short laugh. Sometimes it was a short dirty laugh.

And your question was...?

Greg

I thought this was a particular unit that special ordered those decks from Hoyle. I recall some shit coming out of it too when it wound up on camera. Saw it on a documentary. Really pissed the VC off.

We had the "High Value Target" cards. I still have my deck somewhere! I'd like to see a "Collector's Edition" that includes special cards with "after" photos and a "deceased" tag! Maybe stats on the back with the kill details --I know my buddy's brother is the one that smoked Uday and Qusay with a TOW2.

REMF's coming up with shit for doorkickers to do... Should be the other fucking way around. If it was up to me, I'd dress certain POG's in dresses. Just so they don't forget they were issued a pencil and I was issued an M4.

I thought I saw a bad ass badge that the MARSOC guys had designed to be worn on their uniform designating their specialty - think Seal Trident but for MARSOC. I recall a stylized scuba bubble Skull, paddle and some other great historical references.

Instead they were told to tone it down and ended up with that broke wing eagle.

I understand getting to wear the Raider patch with its scary skull also turned off some upper echelon "Warriors".

Whats next not being able to piss on the guy that was trying to kill you 30 seconds ago out of pure joy that you are still alive and he is not?

To shed a little more light on this -
That General was Infantry.
People in the Australian Army aren't pissed about not being able to wear crappy skull masks or any of the tacky shit you see 3%r's and wannabees wearing in the states, that was never really a thing here, they are pissed because he is banning some unit's insignia (some unofficial) that has been around for decades.
Consider it like the sad sacks kicking up a stink about the SS symbols being used in Scout Sniper units, except way less controversial.

Reactions: Barneybdb