• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Schmid Tool Nickel Teflon AR Trigger

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    So I just got one of these to drop in an AR lower, the previous trigger was a stock Stag Arms trigger that was...well it wasn't good. The rifle I was using this trigger for is a basic do-all HD carbine (i.e. A nothing special 16" barrel, Aimpoint, BUIS, etc...) so I didn't want or need another 2-stage. The availability of parts being what they are, the Schmid Tool triggers were available at Brownells fairly reasonably so I picked one up, this one to be exact:

1604343521755.png

My understanding is that Schmid manufacturers a range of triggers for different companies as an OEM supplier. I'm sure there's a list somewhere but if you check out the ALG ACT, BCM PNT, Centurion Arms trigger, they'll all bare the "S" mark denoting it came from Schmid. That's not to say that they're all exactly the same, manufacturers can spec the trigger in different ways to make it their own, I'm just saying Schmid appears to have a good handle on how to make a quality trigger.

Installation was as easy as installing any other AR trigger but before I did I decided to measure the Stag trigger one last time to note what differences there were. The Stag mil-spec trigger yielded an average 6 lbs 10 oz after 10 gritty, creep ridden pulls with my Lyman gauge. The Schmid trigger yielded an average of 5 lbs 8.5 oz after 10 pulls so a pretty significant improvement. The feel of the trigger was also much improved as it has a smooth pull with no grittiness until you hit the wall and it "breaks like a carrot". The reset is strong, like a good mil-spec trigger should be, and then you're right back at the wall.

I haven't had it out to the range yet to see how it feels through hammer pairs and the like but I have a feeling it won't disappoint. Overall, for about $40 it's a fair dinkum trigger for general purpose carbine that doesn't require a go faster trigger.

PS - I know someone will mention it eventually but I did consider the LaRue MBT but decided to go this way instead.

I saw those too, versions of their 2 stage are branded by AR Stoner, Centurion Arms, AT3 Tactical, and others. When I'm able to I'm probably going to pick one up to put in the Springfield Armory SAINT that I have, the stock trigger is ok but I'm not a big fan of the flat trigger.

I picked mine up from Aero and I’m pretty sure the PSA nickel 2 stage is the same trigger.

Mine won’t replace my SSA-E. The Geissele is nicer, but the Schmid Tool is 1/3 the price of a Geissele. The Geissele SSA and SSA-E are not 3X better than a Schmid.

Schmid is a solid choice on a budget whether you’re after 2 stage or mil spec.

I have a couple of the Schmid single stage and for the price point they are a decent trigger. I've also got Geissele HSNM, SSA-E, ALG QMS and several LaRue MBT (both 1S and 2S). I paired my Schmid single stage with the JP yellow spring kit and I like it. It's not on the same level as the MBT or Geissele offerings but for the money it's quality. I tried the Schmid two stage (from PSA) and returned it. It seemed gritty and did not have a firm reset. I sold all my Geissele triggers except for the HSNM and replaced them with the MBT2S. I just wish I could buy more MBT1S triggers now. Just my opinions.

My vote is the Larue MBT2S...in many ways I prefer it over Geissele...but the SSA-E X they include in their SD rifles is top notch...

Schmid makes good, reliable triggers...if you are willing to clean it up a little...they can perform well...problem with triggers to is the lower it sits in...if its not machined to spec...they can exhibit all kinds of little issues that you feel through the trigger...

Had a Larue in a high end billet lower...when the hammer was forward, the trigger didn't move at all...it was frozen and it felt rough during reset... (which is not correct)...put that same trigger in a PWS produced mil-spec lower...trigger functions as it should....

I have a couple of the Schmid single stage and for the price point they are a decent trigger. I paired my Schmid single stage with the JP yellow spring kit and I like it. It's not on the same level as the MBT or Geissele offerings but for the money it's quality.

I was contemplating trying some of the JP springs, mainly the enhanced reliability springs. Have you had any issues with light primer strikes using the JP yellow springs?

An OEM manufactuerer makes to the spec of the customer, and sometimes has "off the shelf standard." It is hard to compare what you get from Colt, PSA, Stag, as the same looking trigger might very well be built to differeing specs, and possibly differing uses. So, don't thnk all triggers or other parts with an "S" are the same quality or are interchangable. I think what you get is a part to a certain minmum acceptable tollerance, otherwise the company would not put their mark on the part. But, there could be a large variation in specs and tollerances.

We use a lot of Schmid parts in various builds, and resell a number of brands who use Schmid triggers, safeties, and probably 18 other parts that we have no clue who makes. They are solid, but you will find different shapes and finishes.

My question is for @Luvman : You said, " Schmid Tool makes a a 2 stage nickel Teflon trigger that is very nice as well. They can be found for around $70 pretty easily." At that price point, I might be inclined to buy a Rock River two-stage, which 10 years ago was the Gold Standard in 2-stage triggers, or a LaRue 2-stage trigger, both of which are in the same price range, give or take.

An OEM manufactuerer makes to the spec of the customer, and sometimes has "off the shelf standard." It is hard to compare what you get from Colt, PSA, Stag, as the same looking trigger might very well be built to differeing specs, and possibly differing uses. So, don't thnk all triggers or other parts with an "S" are the same quality or are interchangable. I think what you get is a part to a certain minmum acceptable tollerance, otherwise the company would not put their mark on the part. But, there could be a large variation in specs and tollerances.

We use a lot of Schmid parts in various builds, and resell a number of brands who use Schmid triggers, safeties, and probably 18 other parts that we have no clue who makes. They are solid, but you will find different shapes and finishes.

My question is for @Luvman : You said, " Schmid Tool makes a a 2 stage nickel Teflon trigger that is very nice as well. They can be found for around $70 pretty easily." At that price point, I might be inclined to buy a Rock River two-stage, which 10 years ago was the Gold Standard in 2-stage triggers, or a LaRue 2-stage trigger, both of which are in the same price range, give or take.

My personal preference is for the disconnector and trigger to use the same pin. The Geissele and Schmid are set up this way. The RRA and Larue both have the disconnector retained by a second pin. I don’t know that it’s a big deal. It just seams like there’s less to go wrong.

A lot of years ago I’ve heard of RRA’s 2stage having issues. Nothing recently however. And I’ve never heard of issues with the Larue.

I was contemplating trying some of the JP springs, mainly the enhanced reliability springs. Have you had any issues with light primer strikes using the JP yellow springs?

I use the JP yellow reduced power spring kit on almost all of my AR builds and have never had a problem. I don't use the harder mil spec primers though. Only CCI small and large rifle primers.

Shop around. This is the trigger I have standardized on my several AR's, and I'm finding them for $59 and change. They originate with Schmid, and are rebranded by many builders/suppliers (I got mine from PSA). For that price, it's very easy to standardize on what is becoming a well repected affordable trigger.

My approach to the AR is to have the exact same trigger, grip, and bolt release; so that whenever I pick up my own AR's, they have exactly the same ergos.

It takes out the variances from handling the several guns.

Greg

If you look closely at the trigger lever, you'll see the "S" in the square that denotes the Schmid origin.

Greg

I have one of the Schmid 2 stage triggers and it isn't bad out of the bag. I swapped out a factory Springfield Armory nickel boron trigger that I had replaced the springs with a JP Enhanced Reliability Spring kit and that took the trigger pull from nasty 7 lbs down to a pretty smooth 5 lbs. When I did a trigger pull weight test with the Schmid I was a little disappointed that the pull weight was basically the same, 10 pulls yielded an average of just under 5 lbs. It felt good and all that but a little disappointing that the trigger pull weight wasn't closer to the advertised 4 1/2 lbs.

Toyed around with a couple things and swapping in the JP trigger and disconnector spring but using the standard hammer spring yielded a pretty consistent 3 lb trigger pull overall. Passed the function test but I'm going try to get out tomorrow and send a few down range. This is going on a rifle that's destined for 2-gun matches, not HD or anything.

Reactions: TheOE800
    How is this? I use alg act or colt for single stage triggers but in light of recent dsg news, im a buyer there first. How does this compare to the act? Thx
    No experience with the ACT.

I wouldn’t say it’s a night and day difference over any other mil spec trigger but it’s a solid option for the price. It’s the one I’d choose if I was putting together a basic LPK.

Reactions: RUTGERS95