• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt 3-20 as good as 5-25?

Mike407

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2012
Orlando, Florida
Guys,

I'm hearing that the optics on the 3-20 may not be a good as the 5-25. Is this the case? Anyone have both that can notice a difference in the glass at, say 20x?

Thanks!

I can't say that I notice the difference between the two. But that's just my eyes. Everyone seems to see just a bit differently.

Glad to hear that! I'm excited to get a 3-20 and I have a 5-25 that I was really hoping the 3-20 would match up to on optics.

some of the early released 3-20s had a few issues with turrets but that has been addressed and fixed. I liked mine very much but just don't care for any locking turret. I ended up going back to 5-25 just for the MSR reticle. can go wrong with either.

I just got a 3-20 and the glass is fantastic. I don't have the 5-25, but I do have a Hensoldt 3-12 and a USO 1.8-10 for comparison. The SB is brighter and slightly crisper than the USO and roughly equal to the Hensoldt. The Hensoldt transmits a little more light at dusk and an unequaled FOV, but it has a 56mm objective, the SB *may* resolve slightly better, but I need to compare more closely. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have two complaints about the SB: the MTC and the thinness of the H2CMR reticle at low powers. The MTC is hard to get out of without overshooting the first click. SB USA will disable the MTC for $75, which I may do. The H2CMR reticle is the perfect reticle at higher powers. Why SB didn't make the bars thick around the outside is beyond me. That would provide a much better and quicker sight picture at low magnification and still mostly disappear at higher powers.

Still, it looks to be an awesome scope, and the 20X will be handy for spotting, milling, etc.

I got the 3-20 in and I'm not disappointed one bit! The glass is every bit as clear at 20x as my 5-25 is.

I know what you mean on the H2CMR, lifebreath. I have that reticle in my 5-25 and it is tough to pick up even at 5x. I rarely use it there though and I really like that reticle for long range precision. I generally dial elevation and hold wind, so I like the .2 mil marks on the horizontal stadia. My 3-20 that I just got is a H59 and it, too is very tough to pick up at low power. I wish it had the thick outer posts like the H58. It would be much better, IMO. I've now got it mounted and ready to try out on my new rifle!!!!

Last edited:
some of the early released 3-20s had a few issues with turrets but that has been addressed and fixed. I liked mine very much but just don't care for any locking turret. I ended up going back to 5-25 just for the MSR reticle. can go wrong with either.
3-20 with MSR has been available for a while already.
MSR is also thicker than P4F or H2CMR so it works better with low magnifications.

Lots of non-working MTC:s with these, including very latest batches.
I personally still prefer DT. To me, MTC/LT is solution for non-existing problem- perhaps I have used DT too long..

Last edited:
JL, my 5-25 is DT and I prefer it as well. I've spun the crap out of these MTC turrets and they work just fine, but it is tough to go one click past the mil clunk. I read somewhere on here that you can disable the MTC feature on these. Anyone know if that is correct?

I know what you mean on the H2CMR, lifebreath. I have that reticle in my 5-25 and it is tough to pick up even at 5x. I rarely use it there though and I really like that reticle for long range precision. I generally dial elevation and hold wind, so I like the .2 mil marks on the horizontal stadia. My 3-20 that I just got is a H59 and it, too is very tough to pick up at low power. I wish it had the thick outer posts like the H58. It would be much better, IMO. I've now got it mounted and ready to try out on my new rifle!!!!

I was looking through it at dusk in the rain, about 50 yards aimed at forest, 3x. I absolutely couldn't see the reticule until I moved the scope! Turned illumination on and could barely make it out.

The appeal of this reticle for me is the same: I will dial elevation and hold for wind. Also, the fine milling will be good for matches.