• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt and Bender PMII Bottomed out..

ejholdmeyer

Private
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
Adel, IA
Hey, there I'm new to the site.. I've got a question.. I've got a schmidt and bender PMII with the US Marine style double turn turrets, it's on 20moa nightforce bases.. my problem is I've got it zeroed out and I can only go to 150 clicks and I've bottomed it out.. what can I do so I can get the full advantage of the double turn turret?

Re: Schmidt and Bender PMII Bottomed out..

Uh, whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

If you cannot get a short range (e.g. 100y) zero, then your scope is tilted too far forward.

If your short range zero doesn't leave you enough elevation to shoot long range, then your scope needs to be tilted farther forward.

It's just that simple.

Your scope is fine, with a 20 MOA base you're still getting 15 mils of elevation (stop counting clicks) which is more than enough to get most cartridges to 1000 yards or more. If you need more elevation you'll have to go with a 30 MOA base however going with more taper than 30 MOA is a bit of overkill considering 99% of the people that have a 3-12 with MTC knobs never need all of the second revolution.

shouldn't tilting it forward 20moa be enough? there has to be something else i'm doing wrong.. with what your saying in order to tilt it forward enought I would almost hav to add another 20moa tilt in the base.. that doesn't seem right to me.. or am I just an idiot... i'm shooting a berger 168vld 2730fps

i'm counting in clicks becuase my clicks are only taking me out to 1260 meters

2144.jpg

How far do you need to go?

You aren't doing anything wrong, the scope is operating perfectly normal, and to get more elevation you'll have to go with a base with more taper.

ok, sorry if I sound like an idiot I'm still learning a lot about how to do all of this..i don't really need to get out any farther I just assumed that I would be able to get out to 1500 meters...ok.. so pretty much my two choices to get out past my 1260 max are to get 30 moa bases or a lot faster bullet?

I haven't shot that far since last summer but it was shooting very well at that range.. my accuracy seems to improve a lot the farther out I get.. I can shoot better groups at 600 meters than I can at 200 meters.. go figure.. I don't really have a set goal I would just like to be able to shoot out to 1500 meters

Depending on which one you have you can add a bunch of elevation with your reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejh708shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't shot that far since last summer but it was shooting very well at that range.. my accuracy seems to improve a lot the farther out I get.. I can shoot better groups at 600 meters than I can at 200 meters.. go figure.. I don't really have a set goal I would just like to be able to shoot out to 1500 meters </div></div>

Your turrets in conjunction with your reticule should get you to 1500 yards without going to a 30 MOA base. Otherwise a 30 MOA base is your only option

A .308 load like yours is barely suited to shooting 1,000y, much less 1,500y! You need to re-set your expectations to something called "reality".
smile.gif

Want to shoot to 1,500y? Shoot a .300 WM with 220 grain or 240 grain bullet.

The .308 Win. is NOT the ticket for 1,000+y shooting except as a novelty. Your scope is fine just the way it is set up.

+1 on what Nate said.

You can only expect so much out of a cartridge. The 308 win is a excellent round however its more designed for a max range around 1000yds. It can go much further but theres alot better cartridges out there suited for long long range. For example the 7mm with the 180 Berger only took me 6.8mills to get to 950 yards. According to my data my 5-25 PM2 got enough elevaton to get to 2000yds. However 1500yds is much more realistic for that cartridge. So with that said go out and range 1200yds its ALOT further than you think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A .308 load like yours is barely suited to shooting 1,000y, much less 1,500y! You need to re-set your expectations to something called "reality".
smile.gif

Want to shoot to 1,500y? Shoot a .300 WM with 220 grain or 240 grain bullet.

The .308 Win. is NOT the ticket for 1,000+y shooting except as a novelty. Your scope is fine just the way it is set up. </div></div>

+1

ok nate, first you need to be a little more thorough when reading my post. I am working in meters not yards 1250 meters is over 1350 yards I have shot that far many times along side a .308 win and the 7mm-08 out performed the .308, not because of velocity. because of higher BC, and I can assure you, at 1350 yards it is not a novelty. also, my post asked about my scope adjustment.. not for clever remarks about reality or what caliber of gun I should have,I've got that part figured out already.

best group at 200 meters was .76 last summer, best group at 600 was 1.22 (I only did that well onceat 600.. it was a very nice calm evening at the range) my groups at 100 meters are usually around the 1 inch mark.. kinda disappointing.. I'm thinking that it is taking longer for the bullet to stabilize, which is maybe why my groups are better further out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejh708shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking that it is taking longer for the bullet to stabilize, which is maybe why my groups are better further out</div></div>Yeaaahhhh.....I'm not so sure about that.

Scope may be tweaked a bit and at distance the Coriolis effect just lets is sit in there just right.

Hey trigger monkey clean out your inbox so I can send you a PM and get in touch with you. I actually have a real problem with a scope, thanks bro!!

Later
Little