• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt and Bender Zenith Fire Dot visability

Hosshunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2012
North Texas
I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the Schmidt and Bender Zenith Fire Dot reticle in bright lighting conditions? I have a hard time seeing the FFP reticles at lower mags and hope the FD will help in hunting situations.

FYI, it is called flash dot illumination.

First pic illumination is on 7, second is on 11. This is the same as the original short dot where settings 1-4 are for use with night vision, 5 and 6 are for very low light and settings 7-11 are for bright ambient light. Most Zenith models are set up for visible illumination on settings 1-11 but 11 is no brighter than in this set up.

It is far brighter than the pictures show. Seeing it in the middle of a full sunny day is not a problem at all. Hope these help to answer your question.

Both pics are on 1.1x.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! That makes my decision much easier. I am replacing a 4-16x50 PMII on my long range hunting rifle. I like the adjustment of the PMII and the P4L fine but the illumination does not help with the visibility of the reticle, during daylight, at lower magnification. Not to forget, the weight is a little much to drag around the countryside. I don't know why I was calling it fire dot.

Jerry, I definitely want to install exposed turrets. Do you guys have a fixed price for the turret change? (and turn time). I've had my PMII in the us service center before. Top notch customer service. Phil was very helpful in getting my scope back in a timely manner. Just wanted to give some recognition. Thanks.

Last edited:
I believe it is a out 350 to have the precision hunter elevation turret put in my Zenith FD9

I would love to do that.

How do you like the FD9 reticle? I have been mulling it over as my choice. It goes against the American traditional hunting duplex type but it seems like it would lend itself to more instinctual shooting and bring your eye to center faster. In your experience, have you found it to cover too much of the target? Also, how well does it work on the bench (fine or course crosshairs? Thanks! Any additional input would be appreciated.

Center crosshair interestiom is just normal ..
Fine for tight groups.
The beauty of the Flashdot system is that it just a standard crosshair setup until you turn on the illumination when a dot gets superimposed on the center.

The #9 is probably my favorite standard hunting reticle. Far more useful to me than a duplex. My eyes pick up the circle right away in low light or heavy vegetation and the fine cross makes those occasional long shots a breeze with minimal target coverage.

I believe a turret conversion price for the zenith and precision hunter elevation is $275. I'll confirm that price today.

FYI, Phil is no longer with S&B so please contact me here or at the service center if you ever need anything.

Bummer about Phil, we've had several conversations. Nice guy.

On the other hand, Jerry, I'm happy to she that you guys still take an active role in reaching out to the end users. The insight and expertise goes a long way in making someone feel at ease when selecting top end optics.

Just slipped over to SWFA and picked up a Zenith 3-12x50 FD9. I think I'm going to like it! The daytime illumination is very impressive.

Congrats on your acquisition.

Now even more than ever you can be assured you have all the support you'll ever need on our products stateside.

Just slipped over to SWFA and picked up a Zenith 3-12x50 FD9. I think I'm going to like it! The daytime illumination is very impressive.

Cool!
it's an excellent hunting scope!
hogjan9jpg.jpg

Reactions: johntorcasio