• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Schmidt & Bender 1.5-8 (P3) vs Kahles K16i (3GR)

Danny-Lange

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2022
California
Hey guys, new to Sniper’s Hide.

Guy at r/KAC said this might be a good place to ask. I was looking to buy/trade for either a Kahles K16i 3GR or Nightforce ATACR DMx for my 14.5”. I’ve used the SM1 K16i before and loved it, so I was leaning 3GR this time around for the windage in the reticle.

Guy is willing to trade his S&B 1.5-8 P3 reticle for my Bren 2MS 16”. My question is, is this a worth trade? What’s the value on a scope like this? Am I better off with my original two picks (Kahles or Nightforce)? I never considered S&B because of price so the offer threw me a curve ball. Now it’s got my wheels turning..

Please share your thoughts!

I personally won’t trade a firearm for glass. I would always trade glass for the right firearm. To me a firearm has more value than glass in the end run.

S&B has fallen out of favor lately as best I can tell. Not as durable, not as good, coasting in early 2000's namesake, basically. K16i is a much better optic in almost every way.

S&B has fallen out of favor lately as best I can tell. Not as durable, not as good, coasting in early 2000's namesake, basically. K16i is a much better optic in almost every way.

S&B killed themselves on pricing…not tech.
Neither fully understands how to not make an lpvo specific reticle for a respective focal plane.

They both have the chops to truly make something really great beyond their current offerings …but don’t.

I’ve had multiple versions of both and both would still be an option if I had a need

Last edited:
Reactions: LilGucci
I have a few friends who love Kahles but most of their glass seems to be 2nd FP when I last looked which is a deal breaker for me personally.

The s&b 1.5-8 is a nice optic for hunting. But that’s about it.

Reticle is too coarse for target use, and 1.5x too much for cqb work.

Fantastic glass though. Well suited for a hunting bolt rifle.