• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt Bender PMII 10 X 42

Re: Schmidt Bender PMII 10 X 42

Not sure anything bad can be said about them (other than non-adjustable). Very good quality scopes.
Chad

The Schmidt & Bender PMII line are some of the highest rated scopes you can buy, you can't go wrong with any of them..

I've owned one. The factory sets the parallax-free distance at 300m, you may want to have it refocused to a shorter distance. I did and it cost me $150 and took several weeks (went to Germany) at that time. My USO ST10s have equally good glass, if not better, and you can order one with an adjustable objective ("ERGO"). The USO also has better "clicks" and can be built with a variety of reticles and reticle illumination. My choice: USO ST-10 (sold the S&B a long time ago).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned one. The factory sets the parallax-free distance at 300m, you may want to have it refocused to a shorter distance. I did and it cost me $150 and took several weeks (went to Germany) at that time. My USO ST10s have equally good glass, if not better, and you can order one with an adjustable objective ("ERGO"). The USO also has better "clicks" and can be built with a variety of reticles and reticle illumination. My choice: USO ST-10 (sold the S&B a long time ago). </div></div>

Thanks OEJ. I actually have a USO ST-10 on another rifle. I was just thinking about trying something different on this rifle.

Was the parallax issue a big problem? I will sometimes use this as close as 100 yards.

It was for me, so I sent it off for the change. Both of my ST-10s have ERGO (adjustable objectives). IMO, scopes need a focus/parallax adjustment mechanism if the magnification is larger than about 8X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned one. The factory sets the parallax-free distance at 300m, you may want to have it refocused to a shorter distance. I did and it cost me $150 and took several weeks (went to Germany) at that time. My USO ST10s have equally good glass, if not better, and you can order one with an adjustable objective ("ERGO"). The USO also has better "clicks" and can be built with a variety of reticles and reticle illumination. My choice: USO ST-10 (sold the S&B a long time ago). </div></div>

I had both at one time too.
The S&B had way better glass with excellent color rendition, the USO was dark and had a brown tint. The clicks on my USO were terrible and I could barely feel them on the windage knob, the elevation EREK was good though. The clicks on the S&B were excellent. I agree USO has the advantage in that you have a better reticle selection and adjustable parallax. The S&B was also about 20% lighter and smaller. My preference was for the S&B by a wide margin.

If you get an S&B make sure you get the commercial model, they sold some 10x42 military models with the ranging reticle in them and the glass was not as good as in the commercial one. (Due to the coatings)

Another awesome 10X was the Kahles ZF, some of them are floating around for 600? or so. The PM2 I looked through had great glass, swarovski quality I thought. But I think USO 10X is a more practical choice especially with all the options.

Another practical, usable 10X scope is the Super Sniper HD and it is reasonably affordable to boot.