• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Schmidt & Bender

BB KoncepZ

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
Alabama
For all of yall that run or have run any of the newer S&B scopes, who can point me in the direction of a solid choice for a PRS setup?
I want to try one out. Have for years now. Thx

S&B Grid reticle is nice.
Have a couple 5-25’s that have been great. You can even find them used with Grid for $2500’ish if you’re patient.

If buying new, the 6-36 is the latest and greatest and is supposed to be excellent, even if the FOV is artificially limited in the US market for patent compliance (but then again, the FOV on the ZCO 5-27 and Tangent 7-35 are also limited to just under 22 degrees apparent FOV for the same reason.) The big issue with the 6-36 is you better like either the the gr2id or P5FL reticles, because right now those are the only 2 reticles available. My recommendation would be the DTII+ turrets.

The 3-27 is an older scope but is a good option if you intend to use it with a clip on thermal or NV because of the 3x bottom end magnification, but optically it's not as good as the 6-36.

No way would I consider buying a new 5-25 at current prices when the 6-36 is in the same price range (some 6-36 configs are cheaper than certain configs of the 5-25) and the 6-36 is a better optic.

Buying used, a 5-25 at around $2250 +/- is a good deal, but at that price your selection will probably be limited to the older DT turrets and possibly older reticle choices. Still very good scopes mechanically and optically, but not everyone likes the older reticles and some complain about the tunneling from 5-7.5x. The DT turrets are also a bit fine on the hash marks and can be hard to read depending on your eyes.

6-36x for sure - easily the best scope they’ve made since the Ultra Shorts. DT II+ turrets are really nice. The D27 & D35 are cheaper options, but are better suited to a semi-auto. Reticle choices are limited on that scope though.

I have High Power 3-27 and an older PMII 5-25. I am not getting rid of either and I am quite satisfied. optically I like them both better than my Nightforce 7-35 ATACR but I am also not a scope snob. I have had many scopes over the years and mostly I have been lucky I guess. The older PMII really do tunnel pretty bad at 5-7.5 but I haven’t ever had the need to go that low on an optic. However, if I were to buy now, I would get the 6-36 with the GR2D reticle and DT+ turrets. Used I think the older PMII are a great value at 2200-2500.

For all of yall that run or have run any of the newer S&B scopes, who can point me in the direction of a solid choice for a PRS setup?
I want to try one out. Have for years now. Thx
The 5-25’s have been a staple (of S&B) for PRS for a long time. Other’s have mentioned the 6-36 if the price doesn't deter you, this appears to be even better than the 5-25. I would not recommend the 3-27, this was a scope designed for a specific military purpose and as such has too many compromises optically IMO. Stick with the 5-25 or 6-36 for what you want to do, but whatever you do, choose your reticle wisely, you have to look at it and use it every time you shoot so decide now if you feel you need a tree (GR2ID) or not (P4FL, P5FL)

If buying new, the 6-36 is the latest and greatest and is supposed to be excellent, even if the FOV is artificially limited in the US market for patent compliance (but then again, the FOV on the ZCO 5-27 and Tangent 7-35 are also limited to just under 22 degrees apparent FOV for the same reason.) The big issue with the 6-36 is you better like either the the gr2id or P5FL reticles, because right now those are the only 2 reticles available. My recommendation would be the DTII+ turrets.

The 3-27 is an older scope but is a good option if you intend to use it with a clip on thermal or NV because of the 3x bottom end magnification, but optically it's not as good as the 6-36.

No way would I consider buying a new 5-25 at current prices when the 6-36 is in the same price range (some 6-36 configs are cheaper than certain configs of the 5-25) and the 6-36 is a better optic.

Buying used, a 5-25 at around $2250 +/- is a good deal, but at that price your selection will probably be limited to the older DT turrets and possibly older reticle choices. Still very good scopes mechanically and optically, but not everyone likes the older reticles and some complain about the tunneling from 5-7.5x. The DT turrets are also a bit fine on the hash marks and can be hard to read depending on your eyes.
What patent is this? And why have I never heard of it?

What patent is this? And why have I never heard of it?

Here's the patent. And can't answer why you haven't heard of it. It's been discussed a few times.

Reactions: rothgyr
You can pick up 5-25 PM2s pretty cheap but I'm not sure it's worth it for PRS.

The p4f is kinda garbage as you don't have any holds within the first 1mil which is definitely annoying, the lack of numbers of the reticle also means you can get lost if holding a lot of elevation.

The only reticle I actually like from S&B is the GR2ID.

There was rumours of new reticles for shot show.
Twill be interesting to see what reticle options they come up with.
I'm guessing it'll be another tree reticle (Gen 3 XR perhaps) as they have a lot of non-tree milling reticles already.

Doesn't help if you are picking up a used one though, and the price of new S&Bs makes the ZCO, ATACR, RZR,TTs a much more compelling option for the most part.