• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

schneider barrels in 2024

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
So I watched Erik Cortina's latest interview with David Tubb. Big fan of David for years. I had all but forgotten about schneider barrels. I know he and gary have a good working relationship and i believe they have a partnership going.

With all the other brands nowadays like bartlein, krieger, brux, hart, shilen, ace, etc producing blanks under $450, is there any reason other than potentially lead times to spend $500 on a schneider barrel blank?

Reactions: JDELRShooter
I remember someone made a barrel tier list in 2021 and i believe schneider was the only button rifle barrel maker on tier 1(not that tier lists mean anything) but 500 shipped is quite the tall order unless i can get one in a few weeks vs a year. But even then I can get a Hart for 410, a Shilen for like 390 or so but he doesnt do custom contours, I believe Ace charges 375 for a 27" blank but idk what their lead times are like. And of course Austin Orgain's barrels. Interested to see how those shoot. Bullet central has them for 420.

Schneider is under new ownership. Their team is on these forums sometimes.

That said I have 2 schneider barrels that shoot excellent. I bought them for clone builds but if I was buying a barrel for any gun other than a clone I'd go with one of the other brands for price reasons.

If I find a sxhneider pop up in the px for $400ish I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

Schneider is under new ownership. Their team is on these forums sometimes.

That said I have 2 schneider barrels that shoot excellent. I bought them for clone builds but if I was buying a barrel for any gun other than a clone I'd go with one of the other brands for price reasons.

If I find a sxhneider pop up in the px for $400ish I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
That’s good to hear!

I made the barrel list in 2021. Benchmark is also a first tier button barrel maker. I honestly don't see over a dimes worth of difference in any of the top tier makers.
The first thing you should do is identify your specs. And then just pick any of the first tier manufacturers. I wouldn't pay $500 for a Schneider unless you are wanting to have a true M40 Marine Barrel. I personally don't hold much weight in that because I know Krieger, Rock Creek and others have had military contracts as well.

Pick 4 groove 6 groove or 5 R. Brux only does 4 groove and Hawk Hill. Krieger charges $30 extra for 5R, Bartlein and Rock Creek make excellent 5R barrels. I believe Hart only makes 6 groove. Pacnor does a lot of 3 grooves for fast varmint type cartridges like a 22-250.

Stainless or Chrome Moly. 90% of custom barrels are stainless and several manufacturers only make stainless but if you want traditional bluing there are some options for Chrome Moly.

Carbon wrapped I choose Proof research or maybe benchmark. I know their are others like Carbon 6 these days but I have no experience with them

Button vs Cut rifling. Proponents of Button rifling claim superior interior finishes with no tooling marks. Cut rifling proponents claim a longer accurate barrel life with cut rifling and a more consistent twist. I'm not really sure that is matters on hand lapped and inspected barrels. 22 rimfire barrels are usually button rifled because it takes so long to smooth out a cut rifles barrel with 22 rimfire.

Right hand vs left hand twist. Makes no difference to me. But the theory is out there.

Taper and size. Krieger makes excellent barrels but doesn't make ultra light contours.

Pick what you want then go from there. It might help narrow down the list. I am in agreement with post #6. For the same price I'll take cut rifled unless a 22lr barrel. I have found buttoned light taper sporters to be a little more
squirrely

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m not going for anything light. Something similar to the benchmark, VCC contour, or the CRB contour. Like my ideal barrel, would probably be something along the lines of a 5R 26” finish length 1:7 twist, 1.25 at the shank, anywhere between 1.050 and 1.10 at the muzzle, threaded five 8 x 24. Doesn’t matter if it’s button or cut, because, like you said, as long as it’s lapped properly, it will have the proper interior finish. I do know that a button rifle barrel will be quicker because most of the cut rifle barrels. I have seen somewhere between 8 to 12 months.

You all can say what you want but I can't shoot the difference between a cut and button barrel in a prs rig. Maybe in a benchrest rig but I wouldn't say that until I tested it. Even....

Buy what's available from any of the many names and have a good smith chamber it.

Here is a pic from a brand new button rifle barrel blank I did from Wilson (sub $200 barrel) with factory hornady from a gen 1 ruger rpr. The sister rifle I did shot the same. Something like 10 or 15rds in the center, stickies are rounds 2-5.

14460.jpeg

I won't even pay MSRP for a barrel. I'll get whatever I get a cert or discount on. They all shoot the same. I just got a preferred barrel chamber, lapped and shipped for 65$ out of pocket and it shoots as well as my custom chambered hawks and bartleins. Idk if it will last as long but time will tell

Reactions: PRSDietitian
I think the only bad thing I did when ordering my Schneider barrels was not ordering more lol

I met Nate and Christie at the Mingus match. After seeing the barrels they had on display and knowing the reputation of both the Tubbs family and Schneider, I had high hopes and was already trying to place an order. When I read Shane’s article, I knew I had to get some coming. I ordered 2 for my 33XC, and I barely got the first one spun up, mounted, and ran a few rounds down the tube before a buddy insisted on buying my other one until the next batch comes in. With the ease of the break in and I also haven’t seen anyone else offer a P5 rifling along with everything else, the price range for this type of barrel is right in the ball bark to me. I honestly can’t wait to swap more of my rifles over to them. I’ll definitely be swapping my 6GTs over asap.

I think the only bad thing I did when ordering my Schneider barrels was not ordering more lol

I met Nate and Christie at the Mingus match. After seeing the barrels they had on display and knowing the reputation of both the Tubbs family and Schneider, I had high hopes and was already trying to place an order. When I read Shane’s article, I knew I had to get some coming. I ordered 2 for my 33XC, and I barely got the first one spun up, mounted, and ran a few rounds down the tube before a buddy insisted on buying my other one until the next batch comes in. With the ease of the break in and I also haven’t seen anyone else offer a P5 rifling along with everything else, the price range for this type of barrel is right in the ball bark to me. I honestly can’t wait to swap more of my rifles over to them. I’ll definitely be swapping my 6GTs over asap.
Can you post some material on P5 rifling?

The P5 helps cut down the copper fouling and helps increase barrel life, without losing velocity, I’m not super technical with it or a gunsmith, here’s the link to it in their website, I think they are doing a podcast about it soon, I’m sure they can explain it way better then I can lol

Reactions: Lwood
The P5 helps cut down the copper fouling and helps increase barrel life, without losing velocity, I’m not super technical with it or a gunsmith, here’s the link to it in their website, I think they are doing a podcast about it soon, I’m sure they can explain it way better then I can lol

Yeah I know David said to have Nate on Erik’s show

The P5 helps cut down the copper fouling and helps increase barrel life, without losing velocity, I’m not super technical with it or a gunsmith here’s the link to it in their website, I think they are doing a podcast about it soon, I’m sure they can explain it way better then I can lol

Yeah I know David said to have Nate on Erik’s show
yea that’s what I heard also, I can tell you I run the heck out of my barrels straight to the ground and they have held up, I’m a barrel burner for sure, full send; example is I was just running a 300 grain Lazar sound 3290fps just to see if it would stick this weekend

I’ll email Christie and see what they can do for me. She quoted me on under 4 months, closer to 2-3 which is nice

I’ll email Christie and see what they can do for me. She quoted me on under 4 months, closer to 2-3 which is nice
What caliber? And yea man I don’t shy for tryings things but I get stuck on things once they prove themselves especially how brutal I am on things so

DM me anytime I’ll share photos of just this month’s destruction lmao from warped bolt heads to blown up extractors lol

What caliber? And yea man I don’t shy for tryings things but I get stuck on things once they prove themselves especially how brutal I am on things so

DM me anytime I’ll share photos of just this month’s destruction lmao from warped bolt heads to blown up extractors lol
.243 blank for a tubb spec 6xc

Reactions: Ewhite80
I shot it with n matches in 2016. Friends rifle that we shared. Tubb dies, dtac bullets, Peterson brass. 39.5g of h4350. Always a hammer. Haven’t shot a match since. Getting into gas gun this summer but considering a bolt build later

Obviously, it’s very very similar compared to the 6 creed, but I like being able to get brass from David at $.82 a pop and bullets for like $180 for 500. And I believe right now his sizing and seater dies are on sale for $110 each

You all can say what you want but I can't shoot the difference between a cut and button barrel in a prs rig. Maybe in a benchrest rig but I wouldn't say that until I tested it. Even....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with button barrels. In a pure accuracy comparison Cut rifled or Button rifled are a 50/50 toss up. Especially not discernable in PRS applications.

However I do believe that my cut rifled barrels seem to be a little less picky with load development. Especially with light contoured hunting barrels. Some people claim longer accurate life with cut rifled. But then again that is like auto engines. Some go longer than expected and some shorter than expected with every manufacturer. The last 30 years or so we have seen an increase in cut manufacturing and button rifling has lost market share except in rimfire. This has a lot to do with computerized machine processes that weren't available 30 years ago. The only reason I listed Hart as tier 2 is because they have lost market share. They are still making great barrels tho. I don't want any pointed at me. Like I said. Start with listing the spec you want and beyond that cost and availability.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with button barrels. In a pure accuracy comparison Cut rifled or Button rifled are a 50/50 toss up. Especially not discernable in PRS applications.

However I do believe that my cut rifled barrels seem to be a little less picky with load development. Especially with light contoured hunting barrels. Some people claim longer accurate life with cut rifled. But then again that is like auto engines. Some go longer than expected and some shorter than expected with every manufacturer. The last 30 years or so we have seen an increase in cut manufacturing and button rifling has lost market share except in rimfire. This has a lot to do with computerized machine processes that weren't available 30 years ago. The only reason I listed Hart as tier 2 is because they have lost market share. They are still making great barrels tho. I don't want any pointed at me.
I agree, 100% and one thing that I had noticed is if you have a top-notch cut rifle barrel and a top notch button rifle barrel, the main thing that will differentiate them is the quality of the chamber job. You can have a cut rifle barrel shoot like crap if it was chambered poorly. I think as long as that is done properly, you’re going to have a shooter regardless. Of course, a poorly done blank is going to shoot poorly regardless but all things equal I think that is going to be the main limiting factor.

Reactions: swampbuck
Also I forgot to mention I would go with the manufacturer your gunsmith guarantees his work behind. If you smith has a good relationship with X company but doesn't guarantee or have a good relationship with Y company than it is a no brainer.

Also I forgot to mention I would go with the manufacturer your gunsmith guarantees his work behind. If you smith has a good relationship with X company but doesn't guarantee or have a good relationship with Y company than it is a no brainer.
So i emailed david who he'd use since i have my old 6xc dies from david and i want to make sure it's not the 6xc 2. made that mistake before haha

However I do believe that my cut rifled barrels seem to be a little less picky with load development. Especially with light contoured hunting barrels. Some people claim longer accurate life with cut rifled. But then again that is like auto engines. Some go longer than expected and some shorter than expected with every manufacturer. The last 30 years or so we have seen an increase in cut manufacturing and button rifling has lost market share except in rimfire. This has a lot to do with computerized machine processes that weren't available 30 years ago. The only reason I listed Hart as tier 2 is because they have lost market share. They are still making great barrels tho. I don't want any pointed at me. Like I said. Start with listing the spec you want and beyond that cost and availability.
That’s interesting to state that a cut rifling vs button would be easier to find a load for, from my understanding a cut rifle is harder to produce a sub MOA barrel to begin with as there are many factors that can cause issues; tooling, machinists, etc. as where a button it’s very repeatable same barrel ever time, now mixed with more technology behind a button barrel to compensate long lasting effects there would last as long as a cut rifling, so finding a load and sticking to it would seem far easier on a button barrel it seems, mix that with the possible bad chambering that seems to be adding extra possible points of failure to a very technical process

Rifles much like the Archery world is all about repeatedly
Same vanes, same shaft, same field point, etc., any one thing can throw off the rhythm and your no having to adjust your shot, same goes for a rifle just different components

Then again this could be my overthinking engineer brain

At the end of the day it would come down to the chambering, mating to action, balance and so on, also if you have a bad chamber on a perfect barrel still going to shoot like shit

So you think dragging a button through a barrel is more consistent barrel to barrel than cut rifling? I think that statement is way off in the weeds. It's my understanding that even twist rate varies barrel to barrel with button due the way the button is pulled.

@Frank Green what do you think about button rifled barrels being more consistent than cut?

You are right that button rifling is a simpler process and once you have a good button repeating is easier. However the button process of ironing the rifling into steel is much more stress inducing. Although these barrels are double stress relieved. There is all kinds of metallurgic theory that muddies the water. So who knows? Because of the easier process button barrels used to be a little cheaper but now with CNC and the elimination of a lot of human error that prices seem to be the same for either so I choose cut. But 30 years ago Hart was my go to.

Last edited:
The P5 helps cut down the copper fouling and helps increase barrel life, without losing velocity, I’m not super technical with it or a gunsmith here’s the link to it in their website, I think they are doing a podcast about it soon, I’m sure they can explain it way better then I can lol

yea that’s what I heard also, I can tell you I run the heck out of my barrels straight to the ground and they have held up, I’m a barrel burner for sure, full send; example is I was just running a 300 grain Lazar sound 3290fps just to see if it would stick this weekend

I'd like to see a drawing / profile of the P5 lands and grooves like Shilen has for their "Ratchet Rifling " on their website. Would be interesting to see the difference . Also, the description of what is happening to steel when a button is pulled through the barrel ,that David talked about was interesting.

Full disclosure if anyone cares,which I doubt, I'm running 4 Ratchet Rifled barrels ( 7 WBY Mag ,Mark 5 action ,6CM Ruger Hawkeye action , 6.5CM AR , 22 Nosler AR ) . For what they are, all of them group quite small. Not spitting out any numbers because I'm not always on my game when trigger time comes.

I think barrel quality and gunsmithing quality matters more than just a simple question of button vs cut.

I've had good shooters in both. 3 of my current barrels are Benchmarks (.300NM and x2 6.5 Creedmoors), and x2 Kriegers (6BRA and .308) and x1 Brux (wife's 6BRA).

It's hard to compare accuracy wise between my button and cut barrels because the cut and button barrels are in different cartridges, different contours, serving different purposes, etc. The cut rifled barrels seem to be a bit more precise, but I'm not sure if that's a function of the cartridge (6BRA for example), or due to gunsmithing (TacOps .308).

Generally, I go for Kriegers or similar quality cut rifled barrels when trying to maximize precision potential, but not afraid to use Benchmark barrels either.

So you think dragging a button through a barrel is more consistent barrel to barrel than cut rifling? I think that statement is way off in the weeds. It's my understanding that even twist rate varies barrel to barrel with button due the way the button is pulled.

@Frank Green what do you think about button rifled barrels being more consistent than cut?
This shit is getting comical. I cannot think of one decent prs shooter running a button barrel other than people shooting factory guns. Either via sponsorship or their own hard earned money...it's cut rifled barrels across the board.

And prs does not have close to the same accuracy and precision requirements of other disciplines like f class and brest.

People in here can blow smoke all day to make them feel better about their inferior purchases trying to save a dollar here and there...but the results don't lie. Button barrels are all second and third tier.

This shit is getting comical. I cannot think of one decent prs shooter running a button barrel other than people shooting factory guns. Either via sponsorship or their own hard earned money...it's cut rifled barrels across the board.

And prs does not have close to the same accuracy and precision requirements of other disciplines like f class and brest.

People in here can blow smoke all day to make them feel better about their inferior purchases trying to save a dollar here and there...but the results don't lie. Button barrels are all second and third tier.

Doesn't Jake Vibbert use Benchmark?

I know TS Customs prefers Benchmark, and a lot of shooters use them.

I don’t know why people are arguing if button or cut is better. Cut has greater accuracy potential for a longer time frame compared to button and is going to be more consistent. Overall provided both are properly lapped. I’m not even arguing between the two. It was more so what brands can get my specs in a quicker time frame. if it’s between a cut rifle barrel at 12 months and a button rifle barrel at 3 to 4 months, obviously right now I would go with the button. But that’s not to say that button rifle barrels are better. There are very good ones, but there’s also very good cut rifle. And more competitive shooters tend to go for cut rifle.

I think Benchmark still offers button if requested, no? My current TSC Benchmark is a hammer, but I just don't like the balance going to pull it @ ~1600rds & save it for hunting.

From that Schneider link above
P5 RIFLING
The second rifle form available, in addition to the above, is our innovation we refer to as P5 rifling. Some refer to it as "polygon" rifling. Most shooters when referring to polygon have thoughts of the European pistol barrels. Ours however is different but has similarities. Some of our customers call our rifling polygon and that is fine with us, however we call it P5. Have to admit the "P" in P5 does have an association. What is different? Most shooters have looked thru a standard barrel and observed the rectangular shape of the lands and grooves - very well defined by the sharp corners at the transition of land to groove and at the top of the land. The P5 however displays no sharp corners when observed. The sharp corners have been replaced with a radius. The net effect is better seal of bullet to barrel and less damage to the bullet preserving its integrity. The most profound result is an increase in bullet velocity. This is not subjective, a chronograph can measure it. In some instances an excess of 100 fps have been recorded. Another attribute is the barrels foul less. This is subjective; however our customers have been consistently reporting this observation without solicitation. What is telling is the fact that the P5 rifling represents 97% of our sales compared to the conventional rifling and we do not advertise!
Interested to see how these work out

It was more so what brands can get my specs in a quicker time frame.
Schneider is in Canadian TX, I doubt the recent wildfires will have set them back much, but it's worth checking if you're worried about timelines *today*.

I think Benchmark still offers button if requested, no? My current TSC Benchmark is a hammer, but I just don't like the balance going to pull it @ ~1600rds & save it for hunting.

From that Schneider link above

Interested to see how these work out

Schneider is in Canadian TX, I doubt the recent wildfires will have set them back much, but it's worth checking if you're worried about timelines *today*.
So David Tubbs’s daughter handles customer service and I emailed her and she said that current timeframe for a barrel is under four months, she said probably closer to 2 to 3

Reactions: R_A_W
That is correct. In fact, David’s building is right next to Schneider. His daughter is married to Nate who is the new owner of Schneider so they have a kind of a partnership going on.

Reactions: R_A_W
I don’t know why people are arguing if button or cut is better. Cut has greater accuracy potential for a longer time frame compared to button and is going to be more consistent. Overall provided both are properly lapped. I’m not even arguing between the two. It was more so what brands can get my specs in a quicker time frame. if it’s between a cut rifle barrel at 12 months and a button rifle barrel at 3 to 4 months, obviously right now I would go with the button. But that’s not to say that button rifle barrels are better. There are very good ones, but there’s also very good cut rifle. And more competitive shooters tend to go for cut rifle.
You are making wild ass assumptions. You can have a good to great button rifle. You will almost always have a good to great cut rifle. There is much more control (And consistency) with cut rifle barrels due to the cut depth and slow speed.

Button rifled barrels are an absolute waste of money IMO. You aren't saving much in the blank cost. You have the same chambering costs. You dont save on components or consumables so the total amortized cost difference of : Blank, Chambering, Finishing, Components, Time, Travel, Match Fees, ect between a cut rifle and a button is almost zero. Not even a penny per trigger pull.

You can buy cut rifle barrels any time you want. May not get exact manufacture you want or exact profile but you can get something that will work for your application from one of 20+ vendors. You could also go direct to source. A Place like K&P can have you a barrel is weeks. If you cant find a barrel then its on you. We have had no problem sourcing barrels (not to mention you can order them in advance, as your anticipate burning them out).

Only dumb shits and people too ignorant to understand what they are doing buy button blanks. Its a cheaper process that puts out an inferior product. In the end, you arent even saving money, in fact it could cost you more.

No, you can't comprehend someone having a different opinion than yours. I'll 100% agree, cut rifle barrels by and large are better than button rifle barrels. But to say if a blank is buttoned then it's automatically trash is a little closed minded. IS it easier to get across the board consistency with cut? Yes. Frank Green and John Krieger have shown that better than anyone. But to say if you have a button rifle barrel, that its going to shoot trash is inaccurate since before bartlein and benchmark and others became mainstream, records were still being set with Krieger, Hart, etc. The 2018 ELR cold bore world record was done with a button barrel. I reached out to K&P after you mentioned them to see if they could acommodate what I want. I'm basically recreating the Bartlein I shot in 2016 which was a 26" 1:7 twist 6mm blank, 5R with a custom profile, 1.25 shank, 5" long shak, to a 1.10 at the muzzle. I know Frank will do it but i was quoted at close to a year. So I looked into button rifle because I know they can do it faster and as long as they are done properly and lapped properly, they'll still shoot fine and as long as it's chambered properly. That was my main point because hart, shilen, schneider, etc all quoted me in weeks rather than months and that appealed to my needs right now

Reactions: JDELRShooter
You are making wild ass assumptions. You can have a good to great button rifle. You will almost always have a good to great cut rifle. There is much more control (And consistency) with cut rifle barrels due to the cut depth and slow speed.

Button rifled barrels are an absolute waste of money IMO. You aren't saving much in the blank cost. You have the same chambering costs. You dont save on components or consumables so the total amortized cost difference of : Blank, Chambering, Finishing, Components, Time, Travel, Match Fees, ect between a cut rifle and a button is almost zero. Not even a penny per trigger pull.

You can buy cut rifle barrels any time you want. May not get exact manufacture you want or exact profile but you can get something that will work for your application from one of 20+ vendors. You could also go direct to source. A Place like K&P can have you a barrel is weeks. If you cant find a barrel then its on you. We have had no problem sourcing barrels (not to mention you can order them in advance, as your anticipate burning them out).

Only dumb shits and people too ignorant to understand what they are doing buy button blanks. Its a cheaper process that puts out an inferior product. In the end, you arent even saving money, in fact it could cost you more.

I have a few button rifled barrels I’ve bought over the years, and a few hammer forged barrels. Does it make me a dumb shit to buy those for M4 carbine barrels? They’re rack grade fighting gun barrels, they shoot more than good enough for their intended purpose. Why would I spend twice as much for a cut rifled barrel for that use?

Currently I have two button barrels on bolt guns, both Coopers, one in .280 AI and one .22LR. Both of them shoot.

The way I see it. I have fairly limited time at the range. My experience and what I have seen is that my chances of having a great barrel is much greater with a cut rifled barrel. With those bits in mind I have decided to stick with only cut rifled barrels and maximize my return on investment (time x shots=happiness).

Like I said button continues to be the gold standard for rimfire. Shilen, Benchmark and Mueller are the rimfire leaders. All button rifled. Mueller and Benchmark do cut on centerfire but still button all the rimfires.

Like I said button continues to be the gold standard for rimfire. Shilen, Benchmark and Mueller are the rimfire leaders. All button rifled. Mueller and Benchmark do cut on centerfire but still button all the rimfires.
And I don’t think there is anything wrong with either as long as you’re going with a reputable barrel manufacturer. I’m not the biggest fan of preferred barrel blanks because I’ve shot some that were kind of mediocre and some that were good so it’s kind of hit or miss. I’m not the biggest fan of McGowan for the same reason. in terms of barrel manufactures that I like, of course Krieger and Bartlein or at the top button in terms of button rifle, I’ve had very good luck with hart, shilen and clay spencer which MPA owns. Back like 10 years ago, I could get a Krieger in under six months but of course that’s not the case now. So I will get what I can get as long as it matches the parameters that I would like.

Reactions: ACard