• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Schneider vs Krieger barrels

scifri44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Arizona
Hey guys . I mainly shoot 1000 yards plus . And well not too sure which one to pick for my Remington 700 300 win wag . I know there both good barrels. I just want to get the right barrel for my rifle . Any input would be great! thanks

Re: Schneider vs Krieger barrels

pac nor
lawton
lilja
broughton
lothar walther
rock creek

guys and girls, can we keep adding to the list of the right barrel to use for a 300 win mag

Of the two you highlighted, I personally prefer and have had great results with the Kreiger.

A vote for Schneider here. I have 3 of my bolt guns with his barrels (including my M40a1 clone) and they shoot fantastic. I have shot numerous other rifles with Schneider barrels and all of them shot very well. The Tubb 2000 in 6.5 Creedmoor I shot felt like cheating. The USMC felt there was a good reason to use his barrels too.

To be fair, however, there is a lot of great talent and top notch barrel makers out there these days, compared to just 15-20 years ago. Obermeyer, Lilja, etc. all make a great barrel.

Either will work well.

Both will work, I have both, but I really like my Schneider 5P, same load same chamber I allways get more velocity out to it, I have seen others mention that also but do not know if it is for all. The only thing I wish I had do different, it is a M40 profile and one heavy SOB, wish I would have gotten a small profile.

thanks guys for your help ! But i'm still gonna think about it long and hard on which one to get ...

I wouldn't worry about the brand of barrel-but WHO chambers and installs it. Schneider gets my vote though of the two.

At the custom aftermarket precision barrel level, sub-par barrels are few and far between. Nobody likes them, especially the makers, so you really don't have a lot of worries on that score.

Once a barrel has been pampered to this level, differences become more a matter of preferences than performances.

To be truthful, there are really very few shooters who can reliably tell the difference between makers when the barrel specs are identical. I'm not one of them, and I can't really say if I know one.

What is more important here is that you go with good preferences. Given my druthers, I'd talk this over with the barrel makers, and favor their advice.

I only have a pair of custom barrels, they are 'identical', they are Lothar-Walther, and one of them resides on my shooting partner's rifle. When I ordered them, I consulted with the company, and left most of the decisions up to them. All I requested was the chambering (.260 Rem), that it be a SAAMI spec chamber, that the barrel length be as long as was practical, and that the throat be 'shorter'.

I got a great pair of barrels.

Greg

If you ever had a Krieger or Schneider barrel you would not mention Lothar Walther tomato stakes in the same sentence...............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: criver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you ever had a Krieger or Schneider barrel you would not mention Lothar Walther tomato stakes in the same sentence............... </div></div>

So Very true!!!

I appreciate your preferences and your loyalties. I'd be interested in reading specifics about your own personal experiences and individual problems with L-W barrels. While my experience is clearly limited, I've apparently not encountered the same sorts of problems you envision.

Greg

I own or have owned all sorts, including both mentioned. I believe while the barrel is extreemly important, the whole rifle has to be just right to make a shooter. My Schneider was awsome but then again so are my Kriegers. I wish I owned a 100 pound Rail gun so I could do a side to side comparison with the same reamer being used on similar lengths and contours. You will be happy either way.

And, remember, you can support an Arizona barrel maker-- Schneider.

I had the range record last year at the Augustis Match in MT for a while using a 300win with a Lijia barrel, could of I done it with a Krieger or Schneider?? Maybe,,, maybe not.

Barrels to me are like brass if you use them enough they all become trash. And practice is what it takes to become consistant. Im not a die hard fan of any barrel maker honestly, I like Lijia, Kriegers, Shilens, and hell I even use McGowen barrels on my Varmint rifles.... But I havent tried all the barrel makers out there. Bruno shooting supply has barrels in stock thats where I got my last Krieger barrel,,,,,,,I HATE waiting thats my biggest complaint about barrel makers!

Heres what I would do...... Buy 2 barrels from a good barrel maker and shoot the piss out of the first one to get good and then you already have the other one sitting in the corner waiting to be put on!

Also use a good smith this is also a Huge plus in an accurate rifle, Ive never ran into a bad gunsmith so far but Im sure they are out there!

Look at any current long range venue (high power or 1000 yard BR) match results with equipment list. You will find Schnieder, Lilja, Shilen, Broughton, Krieger, Hart ect. They should all do well.

I personally prefer Krieger, but all of the above-mentioned barrels shoot well.

There will never be a clear cut answer to who's barrel is the best. I've got a Krieger 223 6.5 twist that shoots lights out, and a friend of mine has sent two back to Krieger that wouldn't shoot at all. I've had good luck with Broughtons, I know a couple of people that have had bad luck with them. I think the most important thing is, if you are having trouble with your barrel, regardless who made it, contact them and send it back. I can't imagine any barrel maker that wouldn't check it out and make it right if there's is indeed something wrong.

Good luck in your choice. Both are great barrels.

i cant believe this is even a question krieger

Im going to say what everyone else says here, you cant go wrong with either one, they both make great barrels, I own 4 kriegers right now. I have never owned a schneider but my shooting partner does and it shoots lights out.
Regarding LW barrels I have had two, both of which shot great but fell apart very very early in their round counts, I will never own another one.

mike

A <span style="font-weight: bold">Bartlien Barrel </span>(26") for the .300WM is my choice.

I decided to go with the krieger . And if it don't work with my reloads , fuck it . I'll figure something out lol . Thanks fellas!

I am surprised that Brux Barrels has not been mentioned in this thread. I have 5 Brux barrels from 338 down to 6.5 cal and every one has been a tack driver. Plus their turn around time has been consitantly under 2 months. The last Krieger barrel I ordered took 6 months to get.

Kreiger gets my vote. I have been very happy with the performance of the barrel that I have from them. They will be getting more of my business for sure. As a matter of fact, I just put in an order for my second barrel from them.

+1 on BRUX barrels I think I have used about 6 right now and have a couple more on order, they really shoot.

No mention of Rock either. I have yet to hear a single bad ting about Rock barrels.

I placed an order with Brux yesterday. They are stating 12 week lead time. They say there are just now wrapping up January's orders.