• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on 1st aid kits.

Prairie Dog Dundee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2002
Utah
I'm looking for recommendations on trauma kits and overall 1st aid kits. I know there are some experts on the Hide. Thanks Gentlemen.

Re: School me on 1st aid kits.

From a response I gave to a similar question:

Best place I've found to buy Med Gear: Chinook Medical Gear

Disclaimer: No connection; it’s just where I buy my med gear.

FYI: I've learned you can do much better on total cost by buying individual items and avoiding "Kits" regardless of where you shop.

Another good source: Rescue Essentials

Sorry...forgot these guys too: North American Rescue their PPE nitrile gloves are a notch above anything else I've found.

All 3 vendors are GTG in my experience.

for something that you wear on a kit, you really don't need to much if evacuation is reasonably fast. one or two tourniquets, one or two good bandages, combat gauze and a nasal pharyngeal airway, a Hyfin (or simialr) bandage for tension pneumothorax (sucking chest wound, collapsed lung). That's really all you need to control hemorrhaging and breathing issues. Controlling shock is a huge issue and controlling hypothermia also, but if you can get out of where ever you are and in a hospital as fast as humanly possible that the most important part in the equation.

As far as a big kit, I'll leave that to an EMT or paramedic type.

Hope that helps a little.

C_K

As for contents, it certainly depends on your level of training, ability and comfort in rendering treatment but the list(s) below are a good starting point for your consideration:

Basics:

2 Rolls of Kerlix or similar Gauze
2 Ace Wraps
1 roll of one inch tape
1 roll of 3 inch tape/duct tape

Std. Supplies:

Gloves
Band-Aids
Kerlix/Gauze
Ace wraps
Tourniquets
Tape
Emergency Trauma Dressing/Izzy or similar pressure dressing
Kravats/Triangular bandages
Splinting materials (Sam splints)
Asherman Chest Seals
Quickclot
Hemcon Bandages.
EMT-sheers
Forceps
CPR-mask
Burn-dressing / burn-jell

Tampons. Lots of them. I'm serious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tampons. Lots of them. I'm serious.
</div></div>

They plug GSW very well.
smile.gif

You don't need anything you don't know how to use proficiently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need anything you don't know how to use proficiently. </div></div>

Agreed, what I listed is too damn easy to do to or by your self. Keep it simple if its on you.

Bleeding and airway are the number one and two concerns. then...get out!
smile.gif

C_K

Check out the first aid section of Zombie Squad. Some serious FAKs and first aid knowledge there. Check out the book "Combat Medic Field Reference". Packed with knowledge. This is only to sate your interest in first aid. If you plan on EVER using a first aid method on a human being, even yourself, take a certified course. DO NOT attempt any technique you read about in a book or on a forum unless you are trained to do so.

Dont pack anything in your FAK that is above your training level to use. and above all, Do No Harm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for contents, it certainly depends on your level of training, ability and comfort in rendering treatment but the list(s) below are a good starting point for your consideration:

Basics:

2 Rolls of Kerlix or similar Gauze
2 Ace Wraps
1 roll of one inch tape
1 roll of 3 inch tape/duct tape

Std. Supplies:

Gloves
Band-Aids
Kerlix/Gauze
Ace wraps
Tourniquets
Tape
Emergency Trauma Dressing/Izzy or similar pressure dressing
Kravats/Triangular bandages
Splinting materials (Sam splints)
Asherman Chest Seals
Quickclot
Hemcon Bandages.
EMT-sheers
Forceps
CPR-mask
Burn-dressing / burn-jell
</div></div>

This is a good starting point for a home or car FAK. A couple of the items go above the layman's skill set, but it's a good list. If you cant explain what it is, how its used, when to use it, how to use it, how NOT to use it, and aftercare for it, you dont need it.

North American Rescue puts out great "turn key" solutions for IFAK and larger kits. You'll scarcely see a military vehicle without a NAR WALK strapped to the outside. Chinook will build to your specification but you need to tell them what you want and you will pay for it too.

Certainly agree to stick within your limitations and seek out solid training if you are not provided same. If you go through training, you'll know what to put in a kit based on the level of care you are trained to provide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris_K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _RJ_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need anything you don't know how to use proficiently. </div></div>

Agreed, what I listed is too damn easy to do to or by your self. Keep it simple if its on you.

Bleeding and airway are the number one and two concerns. then...get out!
smile.gif

C_K </div></div>

I don't know how it is where you live. But one of the tactical training course offered is Trauma First Aid (Gun Shot wounds)

I haven't taken it yet, But I should move it up on my training list.

I think that would be the place to start.

I have seen a kit called "The Hospital" it's comes in a custom backpack and is very comprehensive. More basecamp oriented or in support of combat operations This would be the pinnacle, However, be careful doing something your not trained to do or use. Other side of the spectrum would be just covering the ABCs plus burns and wound care. Remember, trauma/first aid kits can get real heavy real fast! Be aware, many first aid items (meds) have expiration dates.
The single greatest thing you can pack in a trauma kit is first aid training!
My kit would have at a minimum...
CPR mask (BLS airways if trained to use them)
trauma dressings
stack of 4x4s... some sterile
telfa pads- can be cut to be used as band aids
tape
kerlex
burn care of some sort
ibuprofin
benedryl
a few baby aspirins
a bit of sterile H2O to irrigate wounds/eyes etc.
antiseptic
butterfly bandages
a couple big safety pins to make a sling

Ahh hell, the list is infinite, you get the point. you gotta draw the line somewhere, and this is about where I feel covered for the basics.

People confuse "trauma kit" and "first aid kit". I think you are asking about a trauma kit. This would be defined as a kit used for initial treatment of life threatening injury. Not band aids and triangular bandages. Look for a kit containing tourniquet(s) - real ones and not IV constricting bands - pressure dressings, Combat Gauze hemostatic agent and (if trained in their use) chest seals and decompression needles. A Mylar blanket to treat hypothermia is also important. Those are the core components of a trauma kit. From there, you can add First Aid components as desired. A roll of tape, 4x4's and some band aids are always nice. Point being that you should look for the important items that are actually going to treat a life threatening injury before worrying about the oochie owie items. Be aware that quality med items cost. But it's an investment you will appreciate if you ever open the kit to use it.

i'd rather follow the comment from above:
if you don't know what you need/what you can use, don't get anything at all. doing the wrong thing can be worse than doing nothing.

IMO...all the advanced kit stuff is useless if you are not trained. Just as others have said, get some basic first aid training first. This is what I am going to do as soon as possible.