• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on BCGs

All quality made BCG's from a reliable company work well, but I've definitely developed a preference for a high quality nitrided finish or, better yet DCL for the sole reason that cleaning the bolt stem is much easier.

Standard manganese phosphate work just fine, functionally, but is also the hardest the clean the bolt stem...............rest of the carrier / bolt cleans fine on all of them.

Not all nitrided finishes are the same either.........the ones with high luster from polishing clean easier, such as from RCA or Radian Weapons clean easier.

JME

MM

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg Langelius *
BCM is good. Colt is good, LMT is good, KAC is good.

Toolcraft if you want to spend less, are decent.

There is a vendor on Gunbroker who has used colt BCG's for $90 from time to time. I usually buy 5 at a time, awesome deal.
They come off LEO trade in guns... Carried little, shot little.

The other neat option is Bootleg. They are not the same quality as above, BUT its an adjustable carrier. Lets you tune the load a bit more and if you ever add a can, you will be thankful you have it. Much more reliable and durable than an agb.

Reactions: FishinGuns
A decade or more back, there were a number of failures of bolts and gas keys. Now, we have BCGs made by great companies that all work fine, and then you have the super-BCGs that are probably over-kill. I have not seen a broken bolt face in years. BCM makes a great BCG. I think LMT makes the best, but what is the difference between darn good and the best? You will spend 2x to get 0.01% better non-failure rates.

Toolcraft is one of the larger manufacturers. Many brands use their BCG and put thier name on it. This would not be a topic I would dwell on much. Just be sure to keep it well oiled. Even the nitrided ones that "don't need it."

I think the generally available BCG's are plenty good enough for the more 'normal' applications.

Where I ran into trouble was when I went to a chambering with a larger bolt face diameter. The bolt held up OK, but the extractor failed the instant I went even a couple of tenths of powder over the published max. Once the basic system gets tweaked, the margins for error shrink really fast.

Keep this idea in mind when dealing with stuff like 6.8, or 6.5 Grendel,or 7.62x39. I got a JP "Grendel Improved Extractor", and I'm confident that this, and adherence to published load limits, will serve to resolve my issue.

Not sure but it might work for the x39 and the 6.8 too. Don't quote me.

Greg