• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing School me on custom actions....

exhogflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Near Albany, NY, USA
Guys, thanks all in advance...
I'm considering the build of a custom precision rifle.As of yet I have not decided on caliber, but it most likely will be a 260 or 6.5mm cartridge of some ilk with a detachable magazine..As far as the choice of what action, this is where I'm asking for help.There are many suppliers of custom actions and I'm sure most are excellent.How do I select one and what would I be looking for?What are most of you guys using?Can you help me with any advantages or disadvantages of each? Do most use similar magazines and barrels? This is going to be a long term project( 6 mos to a year) so I don't mind if I have to wait for something.I know this may be a lengthy answer but I appreciate the help.

Re: School me on custom actions....

Personal prefrence. It's that simple.

The Badger is great, but heavy.

The Surgeon is fine, some claim that the one piece design of the reciever, recoil lug and scope base is superior and it may be.

I like the Stillers, price is verry good, and they come coated nicely.

There's the Lawton, Pierce, Borden and others that don't come to mind right now. Made to use Rem 700 type parts and dimensions. All are of good quality and manufacture. It really doesn't matter which one is chosen, lie buying brand X or brand Y of something at the grocery store. SOme may claim that the Surgeon would offer better accuracy potential than these, it may but no one can shoot the difference that there may be.

My favorite is the Barnard, look into it.

All of these will use a 1.062 diameter thread tennion with 16 TPI threads. But all will have a different length tennion and some other dimensions will vary. All of these will feed from Badger/AICS mags.

The Badger action has the advantage of being able to use AW mags without any modification wich will offer a longer OAL, something that would benifit the build if you go with a .260 and run a longer FB on the chamber to take advantage of every bit of case capacity. I also like a 3 lug action, less bolt rotation to open, but of less mechanical advantage to break a shell from the chamber.

Don't rush into anything, do some shopping. My most recent build, I'm ordering a Stiller Tac 300 because of some "deals" I've gotten on some related parts, what I want to build and the price of the action. I've got or had Barnard, Lawton, Stiller, Surgeon, and Badger. All are just fine choices.

Thank you very much for the info, exactly what I was hoping for.And no, I'm not in a rush...have plenty of time to shop around and research what I want.

You may also want to look into the Surgeon RSR action, it is a great value.

i vote for the RSR. i dont think there is anything else of that quality for that price.

chuck

All custom actions are made to very exact tolerances. Pretty much all are great. I seems that some do certain things a little better or a little worse than others. But all in all its whatever floats your boat.

Can't really seem to go wrong with a custom action.