• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition School me on F-Class... Newbie Intro!

slowkota

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
As the title implies...

What does a beginner/interested person need to know?

Official rules, regulations, classes?
Equipment (obviously a rifle & scope, but what else?)
And some other things, that I'm either forgetting, or don't even know!

I'm sure I'll get a few "Go to a match, talk to the participants" replies.

But I'm not even sure if there are matches local to me... And your responses could help others interested in the sport!

Re: School me on F-Class... Newbie Intro!

here are the F-Class regs

There are 2 divisions, F-Open and F-T/R. In F-Open, you can use pretty much any rifle, caliber and sight you want, you can use any rest, though there are some restrictions, I am not sure of the weight limit for the rifle in F-Open. I shoot F-T/R, so I don't really pay attention to the restrictions for F-O, sorry. F-T/R is any Sight, any rifle, but you are limited to .308WIN and .223, and all shooting is off a bipod, the weight limit for F-T/R is roughly 18.18 pounds. I'm a newbie to F-Class too. I just started last spring. It's a great sport with a lot of great people. I'm sure others with a lot more knowledge will chime in.

It's a little difficult to answer your question directly due to the amount info involved. Here are few links to threads where the same question(s) have been addressed in some detail. Hopefully, these will help you get started:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3569203#Post3569203

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3399687#Post3399687

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3787129.0

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3787129.0

Fclass is a lot of fun and a great way to learn how to shoot better and finding what works and doesn't until some guy with a Savage shows up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">until some guy with a Savage shows up. </div></div>

Why's that?

i have wanted to get into compeition shooting and when i came to VA to help a friend move I went to a gun shop and they turned me on to F-class so i have been on the computer looking for info on it and i am very interested... only problem is the only range i can find in CT is 100yds....i have a remington 700 aac-sd 308 1:10 twist with a vortex crossfire6 18 x 44 scope i have this platform on a harris 6 - 9 bi-pod.... any other direction would be greatly appreciated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emn83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here are the F-Class regs

There are 2 divisions, F-Open and F-T/R. In F-Open, you can use pretty much any rifle, caliber and sight you want, you can use any rest, though there are some restrictions, I am not sure of the weight limit for the rifle in F-Open. I shoot F-T/R, so I don't really pay attention to the restrictions for F-O, sorry. F-T/R is any Sight, any rifle, but you are limited to .308WIN and .223, and all shooting is off a bipod, the weight limit for F-T/R is roughly 18.18 pounds. I'm a newbie to F-Class too. I just started last spring. It's a great sport with a lot of great people. I'm sure others with a lot more knowledge will chime in. </div></div>

Regarding "any" rifle. I thought you can't use a muzzle break?

You can not use a muzzle break in F-Open or F-TR.

MRRA web site show that there were matches in Eau Claire Lodi and Lacrosse
this summer. It will also show you all the matches in MN Elk River to Eau Claire is about 130mi not a bad drive for a week end.

i need to get a list of matches near me.. my rifle should be done soon.