• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on free float tubes

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
New to AR platforms...anyways I want to install a free float tube on my DPMS. Do I need anything special besides just ordering the new free float tube? Thanks

Re: School me on free float tubes

What type of hand guard do you have on your AR now? If you have the 2 piece you'll need to remove the D ring, if you already have a free float tube just had the new one.

If you have a A2 front sight you'll have to remove that to unscrew it, but if you have a slim gas block it should clear it

Already have the 2 piece handguard, no front sight, and the gas block has a pic rail on top...so I should be g2g?

SHOULD be, I can't say with out looking. Got a local smith? Hand guard installs aren't expensive.

Luke

Ok, yeah got a local smith. I'll have to monkey with it when it gets here.

you will need a AR wrench to remove the standard barrel lock nut. you my need a seperate special wrench if it ia a Yankee Hill hand gaurd. If it is a Larue you will need a Strap wrench. Those are the only two I'm familiar with.

^^^ What he said. Depending on what you have now (retrofitting an existing upper) and what you're going to (YHM) you will need a forearm wrench. You can usually bum one from SOMEBODY.

It's not hard and you can put together an upper in about 20 minutes taking your time. I use JP handguards on just about ALL my AR's (7).

Rich

If you need to pull the gas block, its not that big of a deal. Either drive out the pins or back out the set screws ans pull it off. A soft face hammer helps as well. Once its off and you clean everything up, it goes on easier.