• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on left side charging AR's

AbitNutz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
While being familiar with your generic, run-of-the-mill M4, M16 platform. I'm not up to date on the myriad of civilian AR15 variations. I'm really intrigued by the left-side charging handle ARs I've seen, although I've never handled one. What's the deal on these?
I'm assuming they have to take a different bolt group. Is there a standard left-side pattern? Or did someone cleverly figure out a way to run a standard bolt group with a left-side receiver/bolt handle? I can't imagine how but people are smart. Is there anything else not standard about them?

I'm looking to make a left-side charging AR. Who are the quality manufacturers in the arena?

Gibbz is one of the better options.
G4-UPPR-04.jpg

Gibbz is one of the better options.
G4-UPPR-04.jpg
They look sweet! The only issue I see is they weigh a young ton. I guess you have to pay for sweetness someway. I got somewhat addicted to left-side charging when playing with some other NATO member rifles. I've never been a fan of the T-handle, especially if you decide to put an LPVO on it.

JP makes a great side charging system, and any of their carriers will work with both side and rear chargers. It's just a little slot in the side of the carrier that interfaces the side charger and doesn't do anything in a conventional upper.
All that said, every time I've used a side charger it felt like a solution looking for a problem.

Side charging should be the new standard, especially on large gram AR
I would have to agree. I think Scott Madesha implemented side charging 20+ years ago (not left side) for the coat and sling shooters. Neat entry about them in the last volume of the High Power Shooting Primer…

Length of pull. The charging handle cause LOP to start at a ridiculous length with no way to adjust if using a stock with a cheek riser.
I suppose I could see that. My face shape doesn't like cheek risers so I guess I'm immune from that particular problem.

The issue I have is the T-handle with an LPVO....not too easily manipulated. It's slow and awkward at best. The left side is the best location for the charging handle in this situation.

The issue I have is the T-handle with an LPVO....not too easily manipulated. It's slow and awkward at best. The left side is the best location for the charging handle in this situation.
Have you tried any extended latch handles? You operate them from one side just like a side charger. No need to do the two finger T grab thing.

Gibbz, as mentioned earlier, are good. Only no standard part is that cam pin. They warn about anti rotation tabs on handgaurds being an issue, but I've found that most will still work fine. There are a few that won't, like some of the aeros that have huge clam-like tabs. Anything that clamps around the rail or bottom of the upper does just fine.

Spartan also makes one that's the same as gibbz for a few bucks cheaper. There's a few hard core Gucci options like JP, but fuck $600 for a stripped upper.