• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on powders please

memo43

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 23, 2010
California
I have a question, don't know it is has been covered. If so I apologize.
Question how do you pick powder. I look at the burn charts and I get some are faster than others.As well as Some powder suited for certain weight range,
How do you get a a "noob" on the right track with out going "KABOOM"

So for a 155-175 grain proectile what would you use
etc etc
Thanks in advance

Re: School me on powders please

IMHO, YRMV, etc.......

I tend to look for powders that offer the higher end of capacity for the boolet and cartridge I am playing with. A full case w/o exponentially jumping the pressure is a good thing as it lowers the ES & SD of the round making it more consistent on the target.

I don't mind a little "crunch" when seating. Then again I have been doing this for a while.

The Quick Load is a good thing if you are just getting started. Forums are handy if you pay attention to the players, warning there.

Cheers,

Doc

92 to 100 percent load density.......

Varget is a good place to start. You will find lots of loads here and is popular in the 155-175 range. Follow the recommended loads though from here and you should be fine:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Start by purchasing reloading manuals! All the major bullet and powder manufacturers offer them and they list the different recommend powders types for each bullet weight. Already done for you. No "noob" as you stated, should be reloading without one.

Appreciate the responce from everyone. I have been reloading for a few years now. I have the hodgdon manual as well as speer.
I use Varget as well as RL15 for all my match ammo.
Just curious what everyone uses to base powder selection on

For a 308, you really need not look much further than Varget. It really, really works.

8208xbr, reloder15 and IMR4064 are also good choices. With a 308 though - don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Lyman reloading manual seems to publish the hottest loads of any of the other reloading manuals I have used over the years. Some of their starting loads are higher than other companies Max load recomendations. I've never had a pressure issue if I stay within Lyman's recommended gr range. Only thing is they always seem outdated as far as new claibers and new powders.

Save your time, money, and barrel. Start with Varget if you're shooting 155 to 200 grain bullets. That old stick powder just shoots better than ball powders do. 46 gr varget 155 bullets, 44 gr varget with 175's. Can't go wrong.

I started using Varget, it worked great.

But my local guy stocks reloder 15 and I've been getting good results so I use that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started using Varget, it worked great.

But my local guy stocks reloder 15 and I've been getting good results so I use that. </div></div>

RL15 is a great powder too, just not as temp stable as Varget.

"How do you get a "noob" on the right track with out going "KABOOM"

Easy; read and heed the manuals. Those who do know the right powders have already picked what works best and it's unlikely we can make better choices than they.

Just dump powder into the case and level it off with a butter knife. That's what I do

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just dump powder into the case and level it off with a butter knife. That's what I do </div></div>

Nice..............

i tried the butter knife trcik, couldn't tell the differeance between powder and cigarette ashes

thanks for all those that helped out.
What would it take to create a sticky on powder education

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started using Varget, it worked great.

But my local guy stocks reloder 15 and I've been getting good results so I use that. </div></div>

Out of the common 308 recipe book; 4064 works very well for 168 SMKs in shorter range, a old common pet load great for tuning your reloading practices. Trying to work up MV and accuracy; RL15 has always treated me better with shorter 20-22" barrels over Varget. However, the added temp sensitivity is true in max loadings and burned my ass more than twice across hot conditions.

How to pick a powder:

1) Choose Caliber.
2) Decide lightest and heaviest bullet you will shoot
3) look through 3 reloading manuals to a powder that
3.1) satisfies all the bullets you want to shoot (i.e. is listed)
3.2) is close to the middle of the powder suggestions for the middle bullet you want to shoot
4) call it a day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memo43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a question, don't know it is has been covered. If so I apologize.
Question how do you pick powder. I look at the burn charts and I get some are faster than others.As well as Some powder suited for certain weight range,
How do you get a a "noob" on the right track with out going "KABOOM"

So for a 155-175 grain proectile what would you use
etc etc
Thanks in advance </div></div>

Heres how I pick my powders:
1st of all I DONT bother looking at powder charts to figure out what I might want to use. WAYYYYY too many people have already done that and posted their results. No reason to re-invent the wheel. Find what works for others (with similar barrels, bullets, etc.) and start there.
#1 - I look at every forum I know of that might show load data for the fire arm I want to load for.
#2 - I search the internet for example;(260 load data, 260 rem favorite loads, and pet loads for 260 rem) That sort of stuff.
#3 - I keep track of every load I see then compare them so see which ones show up the most. There will be a few that show up a lot.
#4 - Pick the loads that most match what I'm trying to accomplish and start there.
Heres a post I posted about my barrel but it also shows how I got to my current load combo.
My 260 Rem ; Reply #258posted by Rocca

Some times a load you find will be perfect for your gun. Some times you have to tweak it a bit.

I got lucky with my 260 load and got a great powder/ bullet combo on my 1st attemp as you can see from that post showing a 2 1/8" 3 shot group at 1000 yards. AND the MOST POPULAR and redundant load I found online for the 260 happened to be almost EXACTLY what I ended up with (off by 0.1 gr of powder)