• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns School me on Red Dots

Hoyt7mm

Bow Shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Wisco
Disclaimer: I've been a rifle guy for a while, but just got bit by the pistol bug after shooting a few team events that require more than just rifle. Pistol is obviously my achiiles heel, but I've been working to remedy that. Still, I'm still relatively new to serious pistol shooting.

Anyway, I picked up a P320 Legion on sale and want to put a red dot on it. Based on a few google searches, it seems like I should stay away from the Romeo line and go with something different with an adapter plate. I'm leaning towards Holosun, but A. am not sure which model, and B. am not 100% sure there isn't a better option out there. This would strictly be for the range, some local matches, and possibly home defense. Looking for options at/under the $400 mark. Thanks!

Sage Dynamics on YouTube is a good start. I had an RMR 06 on my Glock and it didn’t work for me due to me chasing the dot instead of putting rounds in the target, mostly due to my lack of reps behind a red dot on a pistol.

I recently purchased a Holosun 507C and put it on my Ruger PC 9, I’ve been really impressed with it and it works with my astigmatism. I’m am going to pick up a Holosun 508T V2 or the 509 when they come out and run it on my hand gun. I just need to get used to running a red dot on the handgun.

Give this a read, good info.

Reactions: Hoyt7mm
Start off with a cheaper Vortex Viper, Venom, or Burris Fast fire, and see if you like it before dropping a ton of money on one. If you find that you like it then you can start looking at Delta Points, Trijicons, Aimpoints etc. etc.

I purchased 2 of the trijicon rmr's with the intent to use it on one of my pistols and I will one day i am sure but as of yet I still find myself liking the fiber optic factory sights the gun offers I can still find it pretty well . When that changes I will get used to the rmr . My father uses his now a days and it is nice but more a personal choice still have not put mine on .

I have a Vortex Venom 3moa and am happy with it. Have a Holosun 507c-gr ordered for my new pistol.

Be ready for a learning curve if this is you first RDS on a pistol. It takes time to aquire the muscle memory for the dot to line up perfectly every time.

Last edited:
I have a G17 setup with a RMR and because the window real estate is smaller than other options it can be a problem to transition from iron sights to red dot, depending on your required speed of acquisition for the dot. At the elite Rogers Shooting School extended ready position to shooting to a 2" spot @ 7 yards has a 0,5 sec benchmark, human reaction time. I found the RMR difficult to acquire that first shot on time, once acquired slightly quicker target-to-target transitions (again 0.5 sec benchmark) was quicker (~0.4 sec) than iron sights.

For all sights, but with particularity red dots expose poor technique and the the timer doesn't lie, on the draw you have to get the gun up high quickly , rotate it down range, at the level of your dominant eye to maximize the time you have to visualize the dot as you drive to the POA of intended target; no time to bob and weave the head and optic to find alignment.

I now have a Sig P32o X-VTAC (full size 4.7" barrel) with Leupold Delta Point Pro setup with Dawson front sight 0.455" and Leupold optional rear sight accessory, the Delta Point has a larger window making from-the-holster and extended-ready target acquisitions just as fast as iron sights with faster target-to-target transitions than my iron sights. I now own all the inventory of Sig grip module variants (full size / carry size) and modified (read cut down) the "beaver tails" which are way too big for fast grip index from from the holster (the shooters grip first web space snags on the stock beavertail) when establishing index grip. I only have 4K rounds thru this one in the last 2 months but it seems promising as the School demands support (weak) hand, strong hand as well as two hand (freestyle) grip shooting is done at the same speed. The Delta point has an easy to access battery chamber, apparently only ~190 hours of continuous use, versus thousands for RMR, so I turn my Delta point off after each session. The Delta point also has "motion activation" to awaken the red dot upon firearm movement, e.g. from the holster or bedside table. I use a tripod setup to zero the pistol-red dot and found it to be a very good method for accuracy. Once properly set up, if you are missing the target with a red dot signature, all the blame falls to poor shooting mechanics. Wilson Combat now has a P320 grip module, shown.
DSCN0166a copy 2.jpg
Sig P320 Grip Modules with Wilson CombatIMG_4940 copy.jpg
IMG_4983 copy.jpg
Leupold Delta Point Pro #2 FOP Range Zero with Tripod Picattiny Mount 03.08.20IMG_5012.jpg

Last edited:
I use the rmr, sro, and Delta point pro only.

Nothing else should even be considered if it's riding on a slide.

That being said...you need to stay away from red dots.

If you don't have a solid base of fundamentals and are not pretty damn shit hot with irons, you are trying to run before you walk.

Red dots on handguns are not like red dots on rifles. You can jump straight into red dots on rifles....not so with a pistol...the draw, raise, everything is different with a red dot.

Both of my duty weapons have dots on them...my off duty is being milled right now...and I have 6 other handguns with slide mounted dots for competition and fucking around. I am a huge fan of the dot...just know it won't be as easy as some people have you believe at first.

Bench

Disclaimer: I've been a rifle guy for a while, but just got bit by the pistol bug after shooting a few team events that require more than just rifle. Pistol is obviously my achiiles heel, but I've been working to remedy that. Still, I'm still relatively new to serious pistol shooting.

Anyway, I picked up a P320 Legion on sale and want to put a red dot on it. Based on a few google searches, it seems like I should stay away from the Romeo line and go with something different with an adapter plate. I'm leaning towards Holosun, but A. am not sure which model, and B. am not 100% sure there isn't a better option out there. This would strictly be for the range, some local matches, and possibly home defense. Looking for options at/under the $400 mark. Thanks!
Holosun is made in China!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have RMRs on pistols and a shotgun, used to have some Aimpoints on rifles but my eye's weren't up to engaging 10" targets at 100 with them so I transitioned almost all my stuff to ACOG/LPVO.

If you don't have a solid base of fundamentals and are not pretty damn shit hot with irons, you are trying to run before you walk.

Red dots on handguns are not like red dots on rifles. You can jump straight into red dots on rifles....not so with a pistol...the draw, raise, everything is different with a red dot.
I disagree. The only people who have trouble transitioning to red dots are those who use iron sights during the draw to make up for their shitty index and presentation.

It's easier to teach a complete noob to shoot a handgun with a red dot than it is to teach most long time iron sight users.

I love my Holosun 507c-gr. The 32moa circle with 2 moa dot is 10 times more intuitive than just a dot alone. The green reticle is much easier to see, for my eyes. I like it much more than my Vortex Venom 3moa.
20200320_094908.jpg

The red dot is the way to go. I shot irons on pistols for about 8 years and then when glock released the MOS...I also bought an RMR. Haven’t looked back.

If you find yourself trying to find the dot, it’s because your presentation is not completely straight. Don’t buy a cheap dot...terrible advice. No resale value and if it takes a spill, it will more than likely crack the glass.

People who have been seriously shooting a red dot on a pistol won’t recommend sub par optics. Holosun 507 and RMR are consistently proven performers. I personally have an RMR.

I disagree. The only people who have trouble transitioning to red dots are those who use iron sights during the draw to make up for their shitty index and presentation.

It's easier to teach a complete noob to shoot a handgun with a red dot than it is to teach most long time iron sight users.
Eh, your mileage may vary..but I've taught at this point thousands of police, military, competition, and civilian shooters red dot handgun....the learning curve is tougher than you think for most shooter.

Bench

The red dot is the way to go. I shot irons on pistols for about 8 years and then when glock released the MOS...I also bought an RMR. Haven’t looked back.

If you find yourself trying to find the dot, it’s because your presentation is not completely straight. Don’t buy a cheap dot...terrible advice. No resale value and if it takes a spill, it will more than likely crack the glass.

People who have been seriously shooting a red dot on a pistol won’t recommend sub par optics. Holosun 507 and RMR are consistently proven performers. I personally have an RMR.
I don't understand the cheap dot thing at all. I haven't ran the holosun yet, but I have friends that have.

I am not against, buy I am hesitant against a Glock MOS with an rmr due to battery location...seen way too many fail....all of mine for rmr are milled. I run Delta point pros on all my MOS and competition guns

Bech

I've taught at this point thousands of police, military, competition, and civilian shooters red dot handgun....

RDS equipped handguns have a very, very low % of penetration in law enforcement at this time and even lower in the military. Civilian competitors in action pistol sports are both the early adopters and the majority of users.

So unless your name is Steve Anderson, Mike Seeklander, or Scott Jedliniski I seriously doubt your number.

You're right. You better go set USSOCOM straight

Do you have any, any operational experience at all? Or do you just post from the basement telling everyone how the world works based on your internet research, group think, and regurgitation of generalities? Wait, STFU don't type.

Reactions: Gar.
Do you have any, any operational experience at all? Or do you just post from the basement telling everyone how the world works based on your internet research, group think, and regurgitation of generalities? Wait, STFU don't type.

I guess SOCOM isn't as operator as fuck as you.

You do realize that every time you post you look dumber and dumber, right?

Wait, don't type STFU

I guess SOCOM isn't as operator as fuck as you.

You do realize that every time you post you look dumber and dumber, right?

Wait, don't type STFU

You didn't answer my question. I'm still going to maintain I have pairs of socks that have seen more of the world than you!

RDS equipped handguns have a very, very low % of penetration in law enforcement at this time and even lower in the military. Civilian competitors in action pistol sports are both the early adopters and the majority of users.

So unless your name is Steve Anderson, Mike Seeklander, or Scott Jedliniski I seriously doubt your number.
Believe what you want....but not every coach is a YouTube superstar...have fun being behind junior...I hope you can read this through your NVD

Bench

Believe what you want....but not every coach is a YouTube superstar...have fun being behind junior...I hope you can read this through your NVD

Bench

Bench,

308Asspirate hasn't a clue what particular point he stands behind. This fuckin cat is all over the show. I am fairly confident he is medicated.

• Haha
Reactions: Dirty D
I bought a pistol that has a type 2 RMR on it (something 06. 3.25 MOA dot) and it has a learning curve (had no idea how inconsistent my grip was from the draw!) but nothing a lot of dry firing can't fix. The SRO is a nice unit and if I was buying new I would grab one simply for the battery access but with the longevity of the power source (in auto brightness mode) if I I have to remove it once a year and re zero after a battery change I am ok with that. Having said that I think it will be much quicker on target once I learn to use it proficiently and it may make my iron sight shooting faster as well!

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
I don't understand the cheap dot thing at all. I haven't ran the holosun yet, but I have friends that have.

I am not against, buy I am hesitant against a Glock MOS with an rmr due to battery location...seen way too many fail....all of mine for rmr are milled. I run Delta point pros on all my MOS and competition guns

Bech

My RMR never had battery contact issues until I swapped it out after a year with another battery. Then I had issues with my dot turning off under recoil even when mounted on a 300blk shooting subs/supers.

I tried all the little things people said to keep the battery tighter against the contacts. Nothing worked. I almost ditched the RMR because of it. Then I listened to a podcast where they talked about the issue being with the battery itself and not the optic. Not all CR2032 batteries are made equal. I switched out the battery for an energizer and issue fixed. Never happened again during the whole battery life.

@M856

I lived in WA for two years and shot in the rain many times with my RMR equipped glock. The only time I had to swipe my lens clean was small targets at ranges past 25 yards. You might as well just not use any optics on any gun if that was your only reason for getting rid of it.

My RMR never had battery contact issues until I swapped it out after a year with another battery. Then I had issues with my dot turning off under recoil even when mounted on a 300blk shooting subs/supers.

I tried all the little things people said to keep the battery tighter against the contacts. Nothing worked. I almost ditched the RMR because of it. Then I listened to a podcast where they talked about the issue being with the battery itself and not the optic. Not all CR2032 batteries are made equal. I switched out the battery for an energizer and issue fixed. Never happened again during the whole battery life.

@M856

I lived in WA for two years and shot in the rain many times with my RMR equipped glock. The only time I had to swipe my lens clean was small targets at ranges past 25 yards. You might as well just not use any optics on any gun if that was your only reason for getting rid of it.

Run one in the rain, at night, with a weapons light. Unless you’re inspector gadget with a fucking windshield wiper hanging out there, you’re humped. Respond in the rain with red and blue lights cast out everywhere. I did this. It didn’t work. Tell me you’ve done this, yeah I fuckin thought so.

Don’t discount the Romeo 1s. A few of the shooters and I in our USPSA club have them and they have worked flawlessly. I have well over 12000 rounds on mine and I’ve only had to change batteries. The other guys that have them shoot as much as I do and theirs are golden. I also have RMRs, 1 and 2. Great red dots but I didn’t like them on handguns at all. They have been placed on ACOGs and ARs where I think they belong. Other people in the club have SROs and Deltapoints. The SROs are awesome. They are too new to talk about long term life but so far they seem like the real deal. The DPs have had some issues. Leupold took care of them and they seem fine now. One shooter just got the Romeo 3XL. He’s had it for a few months. So far so good. Ive shot it and it’s pretty tits. I’ve got one ordered but they are like finding hens teeth right now. Hope this helps.

Run one in the rain, at night, with a weapons light. Unless you’re inspector gadget with a fucking windshield wiper hanging out there, you’re humped. Respond in the rain with red and blue lights cast out everywhere. I did this. It didn’t work. Tell me you’ve done this, yeah I fuckin thought so.

We actually did at the academy. Stop acting like because you’re a beat cop that you’re an SME after trying something once.

• Haha
Ran my holosun 507 in a 5k run and gun where we started with rain, then cold wind, then sleet, and finally ended with a heavy snow. Don't know too many people who run around with their pistol pointed up but in the holster the reddot screen was filling up with snow while waiting at a stage. Put my hand over the top of the pistol to melt the snow. Had no trouble seeing the dot or targets. Hard a harder time seeing distant targets through my vortex 1-6 due to the volume of snow coming down. You could always rain-x your reddot screen to help with the water drops.

A RDS will surely point out any inadequacies in your draw or presentation. I like my RMRs for many reasons, including that they make me better with my irons. After shooting RDS, my press feels "grooved" when shooting irons.

There seems to be that dividing line from good to better when it comes to RDS systems. For me it is and unless I win the lottery - what I can afford. I’m currently looking for one to ride on my newly acquired PS 90. A lot of the other dots were too big so I’m looking at the vortex or similar.

if anyone wants to donate one I’m willing to take it off their hands.

You're so way behind the times...….Trijicon fixed the battery problem several years ago with the RMR Type 2.

And even if you have a Type 1, there are aftermarket sealing plates that support the battery better and make them as reliable as Type 2s.

I would refer to Aaron Cowan's litany of different videos and reviews on the subject. No one else seems to provide as much insight and objective details as he does on the world of RDS equipped handguns.

I have had several different RDS equipped glocks and cz P10c's. I tend to lean towards mounting systems like Unity Tactical offers, which are a bit more modular and ready to handle newer optics coming to the market.

As for dots, I have used type 1 adjustable rmr's, type 2 adjustable rmr's, leupold dpp's, holosun 507c's, aimpoint t1's, and sro's. I had a litany of issues with the dpp's, but they would last in the range of 6-8k rounds of uspsa only use for me. Great optic, great warranty, etc etc, but I got sick of sending them in (units wouldnt turn on). They type 1/2 rmr's have held up fine. The sro is great for competition use, with its much bigger window. The t1 was cool, especially having an enclosed emitter, but was a bit more cumbersome all around. I finally settled on type 2 rmr's, and the 507c (especially with the durability tests Aaron Cowan ran them through). It was a hard sell for me, I hate chinese crap like that, but they do produce a good optic. I like to bigger, eotech style reticle as well.

Bottom line, it will be quite a transition if you have never shot a handgun like these before. Your errors in fundamentals will be much more pronounced. I would advise in sticking with it for ~1k rounds, then reassessing.

After a brief fling with having my P-09 milled for an RMR, I found out that I shoot my P-10 much better.

So now the P-09 has a big gaping hole on the slide. I really don't want to pop another $450 for an RMR for a pistol I'm going to sell anyway, so I may have to hold my nose while giving China the money for a Holosun 407C just so I can move the gun.

Bottom line, it will be quite a transition if you have never shot a handgun like these before. Your errors in fundamentals will be much more pronounced.

That's why I LOL at the people who say RDS are slower up close. No, THEY are slower up close without the crutch of being able to see the sights during their fucked up drawstroke.

Exactly, having a dot just puts your poor fundamentals under a magnifying glass. I honestly found it helped me to shoot production/irons much better.

You're so way behind the times...….Trijicon fixed the battery problem several years ago with the RMR Type 2.

And even if you have a Type 1, there are aftermarket sealing plates that support the battery better and make them as reliable as Type 2s.
I have both type 1 and type 2 RMRs in service on handguns and have had 0 issues with either.

I have a Vortex Venom on a 10mm pistol. Fun for the range, but if the pistol in question is a tool for work as opposed to a toy for play, I’d say skip it...irons don’t run out of batteries or break when you need them. Co-witnessed irons as a contingency for rds failure are one thing, but your sight picture gets pretty busy with all of that going on. A front sight post helps as training wheels to get you accustomed to presenting correctly, but as previous posts suggest its a mixed crowd for favorability. To each his own I suppose, but personally I won’t be upgrading or expanding a collection of rds equipped pistols.

One thing I think people are skipping over here is how much training you have with iron sights... if you had as many hours on a red dot as irons I’m 100% sure you would be faster and more accurate with the red dot.

I was shooting in that video of the rmr in the rain that was years ago I’m much faster now and in fact last match I shot I beat the master class guys who were shooting their pcc carbines and I was shooting my cz Shadow2 I also won open division.
B3B78AB8-34C7-43E2-8F54-F86C6F12ADA6.jpeg

I had my cz milled super deep and am running an rmr and super low milled backup sights. The rear sight is in front of the optic in this position it doesn’t block your window at all so finding the dot is just as fast as if you had no backup irons.

I had the type one rmr and in a match it died on me on a stage where we had to shoot a steel at 50 yards strong hand then switch and shoot weak had. I just switched to my irons and it was no big deal still won the competition.

If you think iron sights are an advantage over a red dot then you haven’t spent enough time training with a dot. And 1000 Rds isn’t going to cut it.

I would say it took me about 6 months or so to really get used to using the dot.. your draw is slightly different cause the dot is sitting above the slide so even if you are presenting your Pistol perfect every time with irons now you have to lower your gun 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch for your dot to be lined up centered in the window.

As far as a comment earlier about pulling up in the dark with red and blue lights flashing and not being able to find your dot... well believe it or not some of us actually train for this shit and have been in that situation both in training and in competition like in the visionX night match with strobes and laser lights and Christmas lights blinking all over the course of fire. Red dot kicked the ass of irons in that situation..

Ive never served in the military or LE I don’t Pretend to know everything but I have shot in a ton of different situations and as far as shooting experience with a red dots I have more then most guys..

Little know fun fact you can completely cover the front of your red dot and still shoot a perfect group! The Bendon aiming concept works amazing!!

One thing I think people are skipping over here is how much training you have with iron sights... if you had as many hours on a red dot as irons I’m 100% sure you would be faster and more accurate with the red dot.

I was shooting in that video of the rmr in the rain that was years ago I’m much faster now and in fact last match I shot I beat the master class guys who were shooting their pcc carbines and I was shooting my cz Shadow2 I also won open division.
View attachment 7371631
I had my cz milled super deep and am running an rmr and super low milled backup sights. The rear sight is in front of the optic in this position it doesn’t block your window at all so finding the dot is just as fast as if you had no backup irons.

I had the type one rmr and in a match it died on me on a stage where we had to shoot a steel at 50 yards strong hand then switch and shoot weak had. I just switched to my irons and it was no big deal still won the competition.

If you think iron sights are an advantage over a red dot then you haven’t spent enough time training with a dot. And 1000 Rds isn’t going to cut it.

I would say it took me about 6 months or so to really get used to using the dot.. your draw is slightly different cause the dot is sitting above the slide so even if you are presenting your Pistol perfect every time with irons now you have to lower your gun 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch for your dot to be lined up centered in the window.

As far as a comment earlier about pulling up in the dark with red and blue lights flashing and not being able to find your dot... well believe it or not some of us actually train for this shit and have been in that situation both in training and in competition like in the visionX night match with strobes and laser lights and Christmas lights blinking all over the course of fire. Red dot kicked the ass of irons in that situation..

Ive never served in the military or LE I don’t Pretend to know everything but I have shot in a ton of different situations and as far as shooting experience with a red dots I have more then most guys..

Little know fun fact you can completely cover the front of your red dot and still shoot a perfect group! The Bendon aiming concept works amazing!!

Spot on. I remember around round number 300, it finally clicked. I probably have 5k on dots over the last year and I'm still improving daily. I'd like to take a class eventually as it would definitely help. I'm at a point where I'm all in and putting an MRDS on everything I own.

The Bendon method is correct (didn't know it was called that). I take blue painters tape and tape the entire window off when getting new shooters into the game. It's a great training tool to get rid of the negative thoughts about fog, dirt etc on the glass.

I run 3.25 and 6.5 MOA dots on my RMR's but recently picked up two 507k's. That 32 MOA ring makes finding the dot almost like cheating. I can see new shooters liking this.

You should really look through and try shooting as many as possible prior to buying. Without question, the RMR is the most durable. My preference after owning many pistols with slide mounted red dots is the Delta Point pro but it is not very usable under NV due to a lack of lowlight settings and it is also know for being much less rugged than the RMR. Holosuns are really gaining market share and for good reason, they seem to be a lot of bang for your buck and reports from others suggest they are good to go under NV as well. The SRO is another great option, similar to the RMR with a larger window and less distortion when looking through the lens. A lot of this comes down to personal preference and what works best for your eyes and budget.

You should really look through and try shooting as many as possible prior to buying. Without question, the RMR is the most durable. My preference after owning many pistols with slide mounted red dots is the Delta Point pro but it is not very usable under NV due to a lack of lowlight settings and it is also know for being much less rugged than the RMR. Holosuns are really gaining market share and for good reason, they seem to be a lot of bang for your buck and reports from others suggest they are good to go under NV as well. The SRO is another great option, similar to the RMR with a larger window and less distortion when looking through the lens. A lot of this comes down to personal preference and what works best for your eyes and budget.

Rmr is definitely the most durable to date.. SRO is definitely not duty rated ;) I run my rmr with pvs14 and it works awesome!! I like the size of the deltapoint pro but worried about durability.. The new titanium Holosun looks interesting I’ll try one of those when they are available..

Just noticed this and it made me smile ;)
86A5C65C-6A78-433D-A3C1-002D08799569.jpeg

I love a Good debate but this guy for some reason thought he was the only person to actually use these in real situations and I found that very disrespectful to all the guys who use these on duty and over the pond..

• Haha
Rmr is definitely the most durable to date.. SRO is definitely not duty rated ;) I run my rmr with pvs14 and it works awesome!! I like the size of the deltapoint pro but worried about durability.. The new titanium Holosun looks interesting I’ll try one of those when they are available..

Yes, you are correct, I forgot to mention the SRO is not nearly as rugged as the RMR according to reports from other users. I have not been able to test one yet personally. That being said (again I have no personal experience with the SRO) Modern Samurai project did mention that a lot of LEOs are fielding SROs currently in the video he did with Garand Thumb recently. I don't even know why I watch Garand Thumb anymore lol, maybe I just don't want to miss out on any good memes at this point...

Also, I have an RMR in addition to a few Deltapoints. The RMR is on a dedicated NV slide, I definitely prefer the Deltapoint for daytime or white light shooting but the RMR is the king of NV on pistols for now.

Reactions: JeremyV
Rumor mill has it that the Deltapoint is receiving a facelift sometime before the end of this year. More rugged and better NV capabilities. Deltapoint 2.0 or whatever you want to call it but who knows what the timeline will actually be with everything that's going on.