• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes School me on S&B double turn

dangerdan87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Tyler, TX
Finally received my S&B 5-25 today. I figured it shouldn't be too hard to figure out, but after reading and trying to understand the literature in the manual, it's leaving me confused on how to use the double turn feature. I can only turn so far either way that my turrets won't do a double turn.

The following pics are from right out of the box.
This is at "0"
D7124D30-AFF1-4CE0-9DDB-4285FBAB8BB4-6165-00000892B060DCB9.jpg

This is how far I can go down (1 mil from 0, top of turret moves down a little bit)
64F5285C-4D98-4307-A67B-015942F4A0B0-6165-00000892AC7659DA.jpg

This is how far I can go up (12.3 mils from 0)
02A9E5C0-A2CA-404A-9115-E6291DC712C2-6165-00000892A86CF2ED.jpg

Re: School me on S&B double turn

So how would I go back to the first turn? I can't get go lower than the "13" mil mark.

I saw that. It got me thinking that maybe I should call in and see what their (S&B) opinion may be, but I figured I would ask the hide first. I wouldn't have thought anything would be messed up, so I hope I am overlooking something, but then again...I can't get a double turn on a double turn turret.

You're definitely on the second turn, as evidence by the pop-up marker on top of the turret. In other words, your high point is at 26.3, which is exactly where my scope stops.

I just got one of these scopes myself, and we were having trouble figuring it out at the shop. It was doing EXACTLY what your scope is currently doing (to exactly, or almost exactly, the same marks on the turrets). I believe we ultimately determined it was just a tight turret on a new scope, and perhaps a zero-stop needing adjustment, but Randy at Mile High was the one holding it when he figured it out, so I don't recall exactly what he did. I believe we thought we had hit a hard stop on the down, when in fact the scope continued to turn the rest of the way as it should. I don't want to tell you to force the issue, but I think you'll find that the scope will turn down past the point where you currently believe it has stopped, though you may need to adjust the zero stop to get there. Again, I'm also still learning this scope, so bear with me.

Regardless of the ultimate way you find to "fix" it, rest assured that it almost certainly isn't indicative of a broken scope. We had precisely that issue last week when I picked mine up. I'll be up at Mile High sometime in the next week or two to find a scope mount, so I'll ask again when I'm there if you haven't figured it out by then.

It's not budging and I'm not going to force it. I tried to adjust the turrets and now I only get about 5 mils of adjustment. Hmm.
I'm going to leave it alone for now until I can get better information.

The scope is awesome by the way. Very clear. Can't wait to use it on my .300WM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not budging and I'm not going to force it. I tried to adjust the turrets and now I only get about 5 mils of adjustment. Hmm.
I'm going to leave it alone for now until I can get better information.

The scope is awesome by the way. Very clear. Can't wait to use it on my .300WM </div></div>

I wish I would have paid more attention to the fix when they figured it out in the shop, but we were playing around with a couple of different scopes at the time, and they were preparing to close for the night. I know they were also trying to figure it out by loosening the turret screws for zeroing, so you may want to try to approach it in that direction.

I do know that the issue you described occurred on at least two of the scopes we were looking at in the shop that day, so I think this has something to do with the way they're set from the factory.

If I figure out more I'll let you know, but I also wasn't keen on forcing the movement (which, again, may or may not have been the solution to the lack of turret movement).

Why do scope manufacturers have to always make this so difficult? It's like you have to join the club and learn the secret knock and handshake to able to use your equipment. No problems with my Marchs-absolutely idiot proof. Lucky for me!

Does it explain how to adjust the dials in the manual?

Send me a PM with an email and I will send you directions for the locking dual turn knobs.

You need to loosen the two screws only on the knob but don't pull the knob off and turn it down below the zero stop. I wouldn't mess with anything until you have it mounted up and at the range to zero.

I think I got it to work. I can now travel from .3 mill under 0 and double turn to the 26.3 mil mark.I would like to see what info you have, Rob.

Thanks