• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

School me on short action 7mm magnums

Boltyboi

dirty little vortex whore
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2019
Im interested in getting a short action 7mm mag (possibly a 6.5) to put on a tikka running short action AICS mags.

The rounds im considering (am aware of) are:
7saum
6.5saum
7wsm
6.5wsm

What are the various pros and cons of these?
Any better suited to running longer high bc bullets out of the mag? Not apposed to single loading for the icbm class projectiles, but mag loading would be nice. (I know 7 saum can work well with this approach in a tikka if you extend the bolt throw)

What sort of numbers do these typically put out?

How avalible is brass or factory loadings for any of these?

The rifle will mostly be used for long range target shooting and hunting when a 26" heavy ass rifle isn't an issue.

My goal is to get a big 7 moving fast as possible out of a short action.

This would be my biggest concern. I’d get the one I could get brass in hand for first. Splitting hairs as far as performance is gonna go.

Yeah that's the issue. Now is not a great time so scope out what supplies are normally avalible either.

Are some easier to manufacture from avalible brass?

I handload. I have a 7mm WSM reamer and a pile of brass purchased between panic/shortages. 3000fps is not unreasonable with 175-180gr class projectile and 26" barrels. Throated long, single-feeding, I've seen 3150fps from Berger 180 Hybrids in the WSM with Retumbo and a long barrel, but it's hard on throats.

In my opinion, the "7mm/.300WSM" wildcat is probably the easiest to source brass for if you're handloading. .300 WSM is relatively popular. Redding makes dies for the wildcat. It is basically the same as the 7mm WSM, it just has the .300 WSM neck length instead. But today, good luck finding anything.

I believe all those choices are going to have OAL issues from AICS pattern magazines if you intend to keep high BC bullets above the neck/shoulder junction. For hunting, they're all the same if you put a suitable bullet where it's supposed to go.

I handload. I have a 7mm WSM reamer and a pile of brass purchased between panic/shortages. 3000fps is not unreasonable with 175-180gr class projectile and 26" barrels. Throated long, single-feeding, I've seen 3150fps from Berger 180 Hybrids in the WSM with Retumbo and a long barrel, but it's hard on throats.

In my opinion, the "7mm/.300WSM" wildcat is probably the easiest to source brass for if you're handloading. .300 WSM is relatively popular. Redding makes dies for the wildcat. It is basically the same as the 7mm WSM, it just has the .300 WSM neck length instead. But today, good luck finding anything.

I believe all those choices are going to have OAL issues from AICS pattern magazines if you intend to keep high BC bullets above the neck/shoulder junction. For hunting, they're all the same if you put a suitable bullet where it's supposed to go.

Short projectiles out of the mag for hunting/general shooting and long ones single fed for extended ranges is kinda what I'm expecting. 180s going about 3000 out of a 26 is what I'm shooting for.

How much of an advantage is there going 7-300wsm vs just 7wsm?

Could also look at the Sherman short tacticals in 6.5 and 7mm.

Wasn't aware of the 7ss, it looks promising. I dig the limited taper and 40* shoulder. Almost a 7saum ai. Still going to single feeding the 180s with it?

Virtually none beyond the availability of .300 WSM brass over 7mm WSM. You'll lose a slight amount of capacity, as the shoulder's slighty shorter. Some people prefer the longer neck for one reason or another.

Virtually none beyond the availability of .300 WSM brass over 7mm WSM. You'll lose a slight amount of capacity, as the shoulder's slighty shorter. Some people prefer the longer neck for one reason or another.
Can you not make 7wsm brass out of 300wsm?

This would be my biggest concern. I’d get the one I could get brass in hand for first. Splitting hairs as far as performance is gonna go.

Sad truth here but I don’t get into a new caliber anymore unless I have enough components to burn the barrel. Been thinking of rebarreling my 6.5 SAUM to either 7 SAUM or 300 WSM for some more ass.

I can’t speak to the technical abilities of the 7’s but have been searching out short mag components for a month or so.

The only WSM ammo I’ve seen on the shelves is light hunting 300 loads, I hear Norma has stopped making brass for it and it’s a couple bucks each if you find it. Or you can prep/sort the other brands. Cheaper honestly to buy loaded ammo, speed up the bbl and make brass. Doesn’t inspire confidence with the current landscape.

6.5 and 7 SAUM have American made ADG brass which is excellent but if you want ammo you’ll have to go to a botique loader there is nothing brick and mortar wise.

If you don’t already have magnum powders (hell any powders really) put back that will be another concern. With the mil fielding a few new magnum rounds that has definitely put the hurt on magnum components to say nothing of 2020 events.

Right now I’m leaning towards a 300 WSM throated for 215 Hybrids but I would have to maybe get some different powders. I have H1000 and could repurpose my 6.5 SAUM dies so 7 SAUM is still in the running solely because of that.

Shooting a WSM M70 with a mag length of about 3.10.

7mm Max is essentially a saum ai ~3K w/ a 195. The SS is shorter and ~100 fps slower in 7mm, but seems perfect in a 6.5 throated for the 153.5's / 156's ~3150.

If you go wsm go 7/300wsm. IN the tika you can move the bullet out of the powder with a long throat. The 195's at 3k with a 28" should be doable with Rl26 Magpro or 780. The tika is a great action to do a fast short mag no matter the diameter of the bullet.

Wasn't aware of the 7ss, it looks promising. I dig the limited taper and 40* shoulder. Almost a 7saum ai. Still going to single feeding the 180s with it?

Mine runs the 190 Berger from AICS mags seated at 2.96

I run them at 2815, but there’s another node higher. Just easier on brass and it shoots in the .3s at 500. I’d have shot the 180s but at the time they weren’t in stock anywhere, however I’ve been pretty happy with the 190 LRHTs.

I run them at 2815, but there’s another node higher. Just easier on brass and it shoots in the .3s at 500. I’d have shot the 180s but at the time they weren’t in stock anywhere, however I’ve been pretty happy with the 190 LRHTs.

Really hard to complain about 7mm 190gr pills going 2800 id imagine

Reactions: chase723

I don’t know, I’m building a 7 SAUM on a Defiance anTi XM action.

After more research, ADG making brass for 7 SAUM sold me. Read too many reports of Norma SAUM/WSM brass having issues. For $2/ea no thanks.

I made a few dummies and found I can load to 3.035 in my WSM M70 so I’m thinking I will chamber it for Berger 168’s to touch lands at 3.035 and just load them with a 10 thou jump at 3.025.

Now finding enough H4831 is the last piece of the puzzle.

Short projectiles out of the mag for hunting/general shooting and long ones single fed for extended ranges is kinda what I'm expecting. 180s going about 3000 out of a 26 is what I'm shooting for.

My 7 saum does that pretty easily